Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anzati

Quote from: Fungus on 14 March, 2015, 04:07:11 PM
Also... deposit

After buying the first two issues from WH Smiths I asked them if they could hold them for me as this isn't something that they're likely to keep on the shelf for too long. I didn't want to subscribe online as I was concerned about damage in the post (the same reason I don't subscribe to the Prog and Meg and still pick them up from WHS). I was told that I'd have to pay a deposit equal to the price of three issues, which would be returned upon completion of the collection or if I have one months notice before cancelling the order. I explained that it thought the deposit was too high and was told that they couldn't hold the issues for me then. Do I subscribed online, where is don't need to pay a deposit and get some cool free gifts, but risk the hassle of having to order replacements every month...

I like to support the highstreet where I can, but sillyness like that puts me off.

Mattofthespurs

Screw the high street if they are going to treat you like that.
Support Hachette and 2000 AD and bag yourself some nice free goodies.

And everything bar the badge has turned up in perfect condition. And the badge they replaced within a week.

No brainer in my opinion.

TordelBack

I'm not sure it is just silliness - they have to order the numbers of books presumably weeks in advance, and if we don't pick them up they're stuck with the extra copies- weeks after their shelf date.  I agree £30 is a steep deposit, maybe £20 would be more reasonable, but I can certainly see the point of their getting cash up front - especially when the whole partwork model is based on subscriptions, which exist as a viable and cost-effective alternative.

IndigoPrime

If you want to support comics, subscribe. The publishers get the most money that way. Alternatively, indie comic stores or decent chains. The high street can take a running jump for the most part.

robert_ellis

Subscribe, hachette replace damaged issues - seems like a no-brainer! Plus Brian Bolland showed his print art at LSCC

Anzati

Oh I did subscribe weeks ago...WH Smiths had their chance. And yeah, so far my fears of damage have been for nought :) Expecting my second delivery any day now...

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 March, 2015, 07:41:28 PM
If you want to support comics, subscribe. The publishers get the most money that way. Alternatively, indie comic stores or decent chains. The high street can take a running jump for the most part.

The publishers get the most money PER CUSTOMER that way. But where do new customers come from if books are only available by subscription or from odd little shops that only existing customers visit? [Appreciates that he has said this same thing 100 times before and everyone is bored reading it]

maryanddavid

QuoteBut where do new customers come from if books are only available by subscription or from odd little shops that only existing customers visit?
This. Comics need to be on the newsagents shelves. I am not talking of The Mega Collection, but the weekly and the meg. Marvel and DC pulled from newsstands,  interesting piece here, and read the comments on Archie comics. http://www.comicsbeat.com/who-killed-the-newsstand-comics-market/

Fungus

Concur. I will continue to make the (enjoyable!) walk into WHS every Wednesday to pick up my progs/megs for as long as possible and feel sure they need this exposure to tempt new readers. This is how I got back on board back in 2012, FFS!

Some chin-stroking types might think social media and digital comics negate the High St here of course. Sheesh, it's complicated. But it's not all Twitter/FB/Thrill-Mail/Thrill-Casts, you know.

SmallBlueThing

WHS always do this.  It's why I would never even consider having a regular order with them for anything.

If subbing isn't for you,  simply place an order at your nearest local newsagent.  I don't know why more people don't do this- it doesn't matter if they currently stock it or not,  any newsagent that carries UK magazines can get any UK magazine simply by ordering it.  If they say they can't,  they are lying and can't be arsed to keep your custom.  I've never been charged any kind of deposit for any magazine or comic in 40 years of using local newsagents.  Currently I have the prog,  the meg and the beano on order from mine and pick them up on Wednesdays.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 15 March, 2015, 08:01:42 AM
Sheesh, it's complicated. But it's not all Twitter/FB/Thrill-Mail/Thrill-Casts, you know.

WHAT?!

My world is in ruins...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tordelback on 15 March, 2015, 12:33:17 AMThe publishers get the most money PER CUSTOMER that way. But where do new customers come from if books are only available by subscription or from odd little shops that only existing customers visit? [Appreciates that he has said this same thing 100 times before and everyone is bored reading it]
Given that one mag I wrote for was essentially killed due to demands from Tesco and others have had similar issues, I don't know what the solution is. And while I get where you're coming from, in a straight fight for survival, niche publications need your money, and subbing is an obvious recommendation to make on a board probably read regularly by maybe one per cent of 2000 AD's readership.

TordelBack

Edited to say: I'm talking out of my nethers. Please ignore.

Colin Zeal

I don't subscribe to prog/meg/hachette for various reasons that include my monthly finances and preference for buying the copy myself. I tried to get the prog ordered to the newsagents next to my office recently. For some reason that didn't make sense then and doesn't now they weren't able to do it.

It does make me nostalgic for the days when I got into comics as a kid. I had to visit the shop every day to get the paper for my parents. As a reward I was allowed to choose a comic for myself. Back then there was a huge range of titles to choose from and this was great. Where do today's kids get that same amount of exposure?

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead