Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

The wikipedia entry has issue and volume numbers though? Assuming they're all correct.

IndigoPrime

#14 and #15 just arrived here, surprisingly early. The Anderson book looks to collect the black and white stories. Repro appears mostly good, apart from some blown levels on parts of Hour of the Wolf.

Alien Nations includes: Raptaur; Raptaur Returns; Skar; The Alien Way; Howler; Prey; He Came From Outer Space; Alien Town's Burning; An Alien's Guide to Mega-City One (text reformatted from original).

That to my mind is a pretty strong collection, and at a glance the repro here is pretty good, with Raptaur looking especially vibrant. Lots of variety in the art as well, which works well in these more varied collections. (And I don't care what anyone else says, Howler is excellent.)

Hawkmumbler

Wait, people dislike Howler? What fresh madness is this? I thought it was a pretty much universaly loved story. I adore it.

Pete Wells

That Alien Nations book sounds great! Some smashing choices in there!

Sadly, I'm going to have to give Hachette a grumpy phonecall today. The only books I got this month were 2&3 (finally) and these been no sign of Democracy Now or Gondo City Justice and I'm gagging to read Mega-City Confidential again.

It's such a shame, it's a great series (in the main) that, for me, is being spoilt by inconstant service.

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 July, 2015, 10:32:17 AM
An Alien's Guide to Mega-City One (text reformatted from original).

What original?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Molch-R on 20 July, 2015, 10:45:35 AMWhat original?
Arg. Is that new? My apologies. I remember something very similar to that from the classic 2000 AD years. I thought it was reformatted reprint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 July, 2015, 10:34:36 AMWait, people dislike Howler? What fresh madness is this? I thought it was a pretty much universaly loved story. I adore it.
I think the phrase is 'divisive'. At the time, people moaned about the art, and plenty complained about the script too. I thought it was great—full of energy. Then again, I'm one of those people of the opinion McMahon can essentially do no wrong.

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 July, 2015, 11:02:24 AM
Arg. Is that new? My apologies. I remember something very similar to that from the classic 2000 AD years. I thought it was reformatted reprint.

It is - seem to recall it was Matt and Pye's idea :)

Link Prime

Alien Nations includes: Raptaur; Raptaur Returns; Skar; The Alien Way; Howler; Prey; He Came From Outer Space; Alien Town's Burning; An Alien's Guide to Mega-City One

Sounds like a brilliant collection of stories, definitely on my cherry-picking list.

13school

Is it old news that this is being released in Australia? Just saw an ad for it on television here - off to search the newsagents tomorrow...

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 July, 2015, 11:11:51 AM

Alien Nations includes: Raptaur; Raptaur Returns; Skar; The Alien Way; Howler; Prey; He Came From Outer Space; Alien Town's Burning; An Alien's Guide to Mega-City One

Sounds like a brilliant collection of stories, definitely on my cherry-picking list.

Hmmmm.I've only just reconciled myself to owning three copies of Raptaur, and started to appreciate it as the fun story it is, but this does look like a nice selection.  Another vote for Howler as an absolutely essential Dredd story - just brilliant in every way.

I've been shamelessly cherry-picking the Mega Collection and have been delighted with every volume I've bought. Now the books I've skipped are starting to taunt me.

Skullmo

I really hope that there will be a Blood of Satanus collection containing all 3 series!
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Heh, throw in Satanus Unchained! and a Mills-proof bunker and you're on!  Am I imagining it or was BoS1 the lead story in Best of 2000AD Issue 1?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TotalHack on 20 July, 2015, 01:19:44 PMI've been shamelessly cherry-picking the Mega Collection and have been delighted with every volume I've bought. Now the books I've skipped are starting to taunt me.
I think aside from being slightly narked at having just bought Swimming in Blood before it showed up in this collection, the only book I've been actively disappointed by was Heavy Squad, which was full of stuff that let's say isn't exactly the pinnacle of Dredd. For the money, they're fantastic value on the whole. (And they show up the Marvel collection's books as being rather skinny little things, for the most part.)

BPP

I absolutely bloody loathed Raptur, it all just seemed a terrible slow boring take on Venom with, well art that's not my cup of tea. The number of times I've now bought it is vaguely distressing. Would much rather have seen MeatMonger in its place.

Felt this bundle was a bit sub-par for the 'long time' reader - the Anderson stuff we've likely all got 3-4 times (prog, Best of, Anderson trade, PSI files) and like I said.... Raptur... ugh.

Still, loving the books. Production quality is top notch and that Cam Kennedy panel blown up was lush.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd