Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Hmm, tentacle monster in Rogue One too, for absolutely no discernible reason.  Although personally I think hearing Forest Whitaker say "Bor Gullet" over and over was ample justification.

Hawkmumbler

Forrest was just happy to be the one holding someone hostage and tied to a chair for a change.

"Did you ever hear the story of the scorpion and the toad?..."

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 September, 2019, 05:43:20 PM
I never see character A bumping into character B and them both having something in common as a problem. Isn't that how life and friendships work?

You're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally you become heroes.

Damn!  Where does that quote come from?  Is it Alan Dean Foster's novelisation?  Quoting Leia Organa?

TordelBack

From the prologue, yes, same as Palpatine's name. In the days before video that book got an awful lot of reading, sometimes I'd go straight back to the start as soon as I'd finished. To the extent that I still sometimes think of Luke as Blue Five, and am still convinced I saw Obi-Wan killed by Vader on the Death Star.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 September, 2019, 12:49:24 PM
From the prologue, yes, same as Palpatine's name. In the days before video that book got an awful lot of reading, sometimes I'd go straight back to the start as soon as I'd finished. To the extent that I still sometimes think of Luke as Blue Five, and am still convinced I saw Obi-Wan killed by Vader on the Death Star.

Funny how that book stays with ya!  I have sometimes wondered how I know all the Star Wars lore I do, without having an extensive 1970s/1980s Marvel comics collection* and 'the internet'.  I guess most of it is from that one book, plus a few of the Kenner/Pallitoy names for otherwise un-named characters.  Like, does Nien Numb's name ever get mentioned on screen?

* I have a few of the British annual-style collections, which edit a lot out, plus about four or five of the Return of the Jedi comic, which featured a more complete reprint, if I'd continued to buy them once I'd started getting the Eagle reprints of before-my-time Dredd.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 29 September, 2019, 03:19:47 PM
Like, does Nien Numb's name ever get mentioned on screen?

In fact, going just from what was shown on screen in the original film, would a viewer have known what a 'Jawa' or 'Tusken Raider' was?  I'm obviously going to have to watch again to find out!

Before the 1990s, I'd have seen (in this order): The Empire Strikes Back once at the cinema, Return of the Jedi once at the cinema and Star Wars multiple times at my nan's house, as she had a copy videod from the TV.  I may conceivably seen the 'TV version' once or twice before RotJ but the bulk would have been post holy trilogy.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There are reports about Kevin Feige being tipped to helm the Star Wars franchise. Is the Marvel maestro the right choice?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-09-29/chris-evans-brie-larson-star-wars/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

I doubt he is going to take over Lucasfilm or Star Wars. I'd assume if he's going to make a big move it'll be up in the Disney ranks rather than sideways and he's already done/doing the whole cinematic universe thing, with F4 and X-Men still requiring a reboot – although his lieutenants will eventually take-over.

I surmise this is him wanting to make a Star Wars* film/films while he can, Lucasfilm needing to fulfill a release date but other productions not being ready, and the cachet and efficiency that a Feige produced film brings to Star Wars post Rise of Skywalker.

*apparently Star Wars is closer to his heart than Marvel.