Main Menu

Internet Explorer 9

Started by klute, 19 May, 2011, 06:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klute

Is there much difference in layout between IE8 and IE9? And if i go with the upgrade will it keep my current favs list without me having to save them first?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Dandontdare

It'll be difficult to find an IE user round here anymore - all the cool kids use Firefox!

John Caliber

I've tried a few broswers and keep going back to Firefox.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Jared Katooie

I used Internet Explorer for years until I got  virus that kept spaming my window with crap.

I couldn't fix it, so now I use Firefox.

I think I was still using Internet Explorer 6 when this happened, so maybe I'm not the authority on updating your browser...

Professor Bear

I tried to go back to Internet Explorer after a couple of hiccups with Firefox but it kept crashing on me, then it kept trying to install the godawful Bing whether I wanted it or not, then it kept crashing when I installed Bing, THEN I INSTALLED GOOGLE CHROME.
Chrome is actually quite good if you can get used to the minimalist look and lack of toolbars or buttons, it reminds me of opera before that inexplicably stopped being compatible with websites I'd been visiting for ages.

Still use Firefox for pretty much everything, all the same, although the incompatibility between recent upgrades has been bloody annoying.

The Enigmatic Dr X

This post brought to you by Firefox 4.
Lock up your spoons!

Hegel

Quote from: klute on 19 May, 2011, 06:48:37 PM
Is there much difference in layout between IE8 and IE9? And if i go with the upgrade will it keep my current favs list without me having to save them first?

It keeps your list but it shifts it to the right hand side of the browser - you get used to it pretty quickly. That is  the only significant layout change apart from another baby step towards minimalism.

It has a few other little annoyances though - the way downloads are handled now is meant to be cleaner as they all appear in one list and can be paused but I dont like it much. There is also a speed advisor wizard which reccomends plug ins to shut down when explorer takes more than fraction of a second to load (because we have all become impatient and petulant children thanks to the net), however, if you boot explorer as soon as you boot your PC it will naturally take a bit longer due to background processes being loaded up and then will ALWAYS pop up the advisor with suprious times and delays (i.e. telling me that my printer control center slows it by 4 seconds is only true when the PC itself is still getting going).

Molch-R

Can recommend Chrome. Firefox uses up so much memory that it crawled as badly as hyper-infected IE on my Mac.

Bluecube

Klute - use Chrome as it's cooler... But to answer your question, IE9 is more minimalist in design much as Firefox 4 and Chrome are. You'll keep your Faves if you upgrade so there's no harm in doing so.
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

My eBooks are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!