Main Menu

Superman: Man Of Steel (2013)

Started by Goaty, 04 August, 2011, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2011, 01:27:04 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 06 August, 2011, 01:16:31 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 05 August, 2011, 10:13:25 PM

I reckon the extra texturing is probably down to the HD market - more resolution = more need for details (in some directors minds at least!)

I think you could be right there.. it's similar to why Rami's Spider-Man had raised webbing on his suit... more detail and gives more for the eye to catch in different lighting etc....

Though HD wasn't available when the first Spidey was released.

HD's been around from 2000(ish) and in development before that.... but anyways.. the textured look of the costume in Spider-Man was to take advantage of the increased image quality.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buddy on 06 August, 2011, 02:32:03 PMHD's been around from 2000(ish) and in development before that.... but anyways.. the textured look of the costume in Spider-Man was to take advantage of the increased image quality.

The Spider-Man design had nothing to do with increased image quality but the industrial ability to create such a multi-layered screen-printed costume which could refract/reflect light had become possible.

10 years ago HD was around but not widely 'commercially' available or used at all industry-wise in the West and certainly mainstream cinema which was always behind in infrastructure of such developments didn't have HD in mind at the time, everthing cinema-wise and even sit-coms in the US, were still shot on 35mm. The lighting wasn't that much different from any film in the previous 15 years or longer and 35mm celluloid's resolution and ability to capture dynamic-light-range still exceeded HD capabilities 10 years ago. The resolution of 35mm film was more or less the same since film was invented. So effectively if they could have made the same print-screened Spider-Man costume in the 80's or even the 70's, it wouldn't appear anymore or less detailed. The colour grade might be different but the detail would remain.

HD's been around since the 70's when Coppola was messin' around with NHK in Japan, where it became available in the late 80's -about 1125 lines of res. It's only in recent years that HD is better at capturing detail/light than film with 5000 lines and more.

JOE SOAP

Raimi expands on the reasons for the design by Jim Acheson:

Quote"We were very fortunate to get Jim to do the costume design," says Raimi. "I did not want to reinvent the Spider-Man costume, but rather to translate it—to bring the Spider-Man that kids and adults know—to the big screen. It was an incredible challenge on many levels, and Jim came up with a lot of great technologies, such as silk screening the musculature on the exterior of the costume to give Spider-Man the ability to move the way he had to, like a dancer in the skies, but also to give him an incredibly toned look without bulking him up with a muscle suit, which you might see on other superheroes."

"It was a real challenge to create the Spider-Man costume, to make it look alive and beautiful on film," says producer Laura Ziskin. "James Acheson is amazing, and he did an incredible job. There's a lot going on with that design and the way it catches the light in daylight or nighttime... it's very effective."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xe_dC3CJnw&feature=player_embedded

The same can be said of the the new Supes costume, you could shoot it on 35/70mm film and it would still look amazingly detailed on a cinema screen. Maybe with the newly released 5000 line RED EPIC it might perceptibly be more but above 2000 lines it can be hard for the human eye to see detail differences.

Adrian Bamforth

I would say the texture is entirely to do with him not looking like he's wearing a leotard.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 06 August, 2011, 03:25:45 PM
I would say the texture is entirely to do with him not looking like he's wearing a leotard.

agreed..comes down to design choice.

Buddy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2011, 02:59:11 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 06 August, 2011, 02:32:03 PMHD's been around from 2000(ish) and in development before that.... but anyways.. the textured look of the costume in Spider-Man was to take advantage of the increased image quality.

The Spider-Man design had nothing to do with increased image quality but the industrial ability to create such a multi-layered screen-printed costume which could refract/reflect light had become possible.

10 years ago HD was around but not widely 'commercially' available or used at all industry-wise in the West and certainly mainstream cinema which was always behind in infrastructure of such developments didn't have HD in mind at the time, everthing cinema-wise and even sit-coms in the US, were still shot on 35mm. The lighting wasn't that much different from any film in the previous 15 years or longer and 35mm celluloid's resolution and ability to capture dynamic-light-range still exceeded HD capabilities 10 years ago. The resolution of 35mm film was more or less the same since film was invented. So effectively if they could have made the same print-screened Spider-Man costume in the 80's or even the 70's, it wouldn't appear anymore or less detailed. The colour grade might be different but the detail would remain.

HD's been around since the 70's when Coppola was messin' around with NHK in Japan, where it became available in the late 80's -about 1125 lines of res. It's only in recent years that HD is better at capturing detail/light than film with 5000 lines and more.

That too.

Goaty

Kev Levell

Is this some sort of Kryptonian spacesuit? It needs to be, there's no way Ma Kent could have made this...

Spaceghost

His red underpants must be in the wash. He should have just turned them inside out like I do.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JOE SOAP

I do like the suit  -considering the alien nature of it- but he seems to have a cock-button to inflate his pants-tent. Glad they ditched the red undies.

Judge Olde

I think it looks okay. After waiting for Superman Returns for a couple of years & then to get a re-hash of Superman I I felt cheated.

A new story would have been great, but we know already that the bad guys from Superman II turn up at some point ...

hopefully a new story ... after that I don't overly care about the finer details, cape, pants etc  :-\

willthemightyW

By the looks of that image with the vault door, I'm hoping for some bits of the film at least to be a bit retro-ey, like with big, boxy, fleischer cartoon style robots, although I doubt we'll get it because the wider audience will think it looks crap probably.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

dracula1

Another duffer by the looks of this, especially if zod turns up. DC
has so many great villians it could use instead.

Goaty

Russell Crowe as Superman's father.

dracula1