Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

JayzusB.Christ

I only really know her as a walking Bisley painting and the poster girl of Heavy Metal, but it sounds like she had a rough time, and 58 is far too young.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

rogue69

Magician Siegfried Fischbacher, one half of Siegfried & Roy,  aged 81

rogue69

ALISON BROWN the Retail & Front of House Manager for the comic museum only 37, due to covid

rogue69

Not a  good start to the year, Sylvain Sylvain New York Dolls guitarist aged 69

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/15/sylvain-sylvain-guitarist-of-new-york-dolls-dies

sheridan

Storm Constantine, 64, author.

Not sure how facebook displays to non-users, so here's the copy and paste:

Quote from: Immation PressIt is with great sorrow that we bring the sad news of the death of our dear friend and founder, the writer and publisher, Storm Constantine.  Storm died peacefully on 14th January, after a long illness, with her husband Jim by her side. She was sixty-four years old. Storm was fiercely private in life, so her passing may be a shock to many. She is survived by her husband, her brother and her four beloved cats.

Heath C Ackley

Really sad to hear of Storm's passing. Her work was decades before their time with their gender fluid characters. I remember watching an interview with her back in the 80's. She was from Staffordshire like me and to know, back then, that a local writer could make it was a big confidence boost for me.

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

sheridan

Quote from: Heath C Ackley on 16 January, 2021, 02:37:18 PM
Really sad to hear of Storm's passing. Her work was decades before their time with their gender fluid characters. I remember watching an interview with her back in the 80's. She was from Staffordshire like me and to know, back then, that a local writer could make it was a big confidence boost for me.

The Wraethu apparently inspired by the androgyny of the Brum goth scene.  Sadly reading up on the publishing house that Storm founded, one of the last new items was a previously unpublished Tanith Lee work.

Which bit of Staffs are you from?  I used to live in SoT and have family still in Leek.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 16 January, 2021, 10:44:57 PM
The Wraethu apparently inspired by the androgyny of the Brum goth scene.

To be fair, both goth and glam rock* have been scenes that blurred the gender boundaries since the 80s. There's been a standing joke at Whitby Gothic Weekend since forever that there are two kinds of toilet at the Spa, female and unisex.

* For values of glam that encompass Hanoi Rocks rather than T-Rex. No disrespect on the 70s glammies, I just don't have any direct experience of that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Vera Ivers MBE, 89.  Or as I knew her, nan.  Died yesterday.  I held off saying anything here until family members in other timezones had been told - not that I'm expecting any of my family to be reading the 2000ad forum, but, y'know.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 January, 2021, 12:09:50 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 16 January, 2021, 10:44:57 PM
The Wraethu apparently inspired by the androgyny of the Brum goth scene.

To be fair, both goth and glam rock* have been scenes that blurred the gender boundaries since the 80s. There's been a standing joke at Whitby Gothic Weekend since forever that there are two kinds of toilet at the Spa, female and unisex.

Slimelight has certainly never enforced any sort of distinction - and the main venues at Wave Gotik Treffen didn't appear to hold much story with gender restrictions last time I went there.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 17 January, 2021, 12:17:15 AM
Vera Ivers MBE, 89.  Or as I knew her, nan.  Died yesterday.  I held off saying anything here until family members in other timezones had been told - not that I'm expecting any of my family to be reading the 2000ad forum, but, y'know.

Aw, man, really sorry to hear it.  A nice old age, 89, but still, I hope you're all coping ok.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

Hi Sheridan - big hugs (or socially distanced elbow taps) from me.

Sorry to read of your loss.