Main Menu

Things the newsagent says to you when you buy 2000 AD

Started by norton canes, 06 June, 2018, 10:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Was going to post this in the current prog thread but thought it might run on its own...

Just picked up this week's prog (2084) from WHSmith's and the person at the counter said, rather unexpectedly, "Has it started repeating itself yet?"

Which caught me completely off guard. Best response I could muster on the spur of the moment was "A bit, but the pictures are different." Ha ha.

I suppose if I'd had a bit more time to think I might have provided a more germane response such as "Well, the Pat Mills strips basically go over the same ground, and the Dredd stories are a bit over-fixated with the aftermath of Day of Chaos".

Any strange comments been made when you've picked up your prog?

JamesC

"£4.99 please."

WHSmiths have done this a couple of times recently and they've then had to manually adjust the price when I've pointed out the error.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 06 June, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
Just picked up this week's prog (2084) from WHSmith's and the person at the counter said, rather unexpectedly, "Has it started repeating itself yet?"

I would have said that this is not part of the Marvel or DC Universe where each story is rehash of a previous story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I liked in the recent Thrillcast how Mark Russell likened Marvel to wrestling. "Who haven't we had X fight recently?" It does feel a lot like that sometimes.

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 06 June, 2018, 10:28:26 AM
and the Dredd stories are a bit over-fixated with the aftermath of Day of Chaos".

Only the other week someone said in a thread that the aftermath of Day of Chaos wasn't being mentioned enough - you can't win! ;)

Funt Solo

Quote"Has it started repeating itself yet?"

I would say, to an extant, yes.  Examples:

- Vast chunks of MC-1's population get eliminated every once in a while.
- Judges Giant and Giant.
- Judges Rico and Rico.
- The Amazing Maze Dumoir (progs 368-369, reprinted in Sci-Fi Special 12) - representative of all the reprints.
- The ABC Warriors went to Mars, then they went to Mars. 
- Invasion / Savage
- Rogue Trooper / Friday / Tor Cyan
- Finn is modern day Slaine
- MACH 1 / Greysuit
- Harlem Heroes / The Harlem Heroes
- The three Robo-Hunters
- And maybe Zancudo.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++