Main Menu

Cursed Earth Card Game by Osprey - House Rules?

Started by The Bissler, 20 November, 2021, 10:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

I know this game has been out for a long time but I just picked up a copy...

I'm really impressed with the production values, particularly in respect of Dan Cornwell and Rufus Dayglo's artwork. As for the game itself, I like the system but, echoing some of the comments on long-dead threads I spotted elsewhere here, I found it punishingly difficult!

I have spotted a youtube video which shows that it can be done, but I was wondering how often fellow players managed a win? It seems so hard that I've been considering giving Dredd an extra 2 health, Giant 1 and Anderson a free Psi get out of jail card, maybe even adding an extra ration or bullet to the starting pool.

The other house rule I'm already considering (as a result of being a keen tabletop gamer) is introducing some dice rolling, likely using Warlord's dice from the Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd games. I haven't quite thought that one through yet, but I would apply it to any fight situation that arises in the card game.

So, 2 questions:

Has anyone else created their own house rules?

Has anyone completed the game without tweaking it and, if so, does it happen often? (I'm assuming not!)

gurnard

Yeah I increased everything for all users and still could not win.
No I have never won.

But yeah it is a lovely game. :-)

sheridan

Not tried any house rules, but haven't won yet either (not that we've tried for a while, but it's a good game, other than apparently being impossible to win).

Dark Jimbo

I really need to break this put again - one of the few games I own which has a solo mode!
@jamesfeistdraws

CalHab

Its a beautiful game but I just couldn't get into it. I think I probably just don't enjoy solo games.

I absolutely loved Judge Dredd: Helter Skelter, though. I got the Dark Judges expansion, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully it did well enough that they can justify more. An ABC Warriors/Nemesis expansion would be brilliant!

The Bissler

Thanks for the replies all!

Quote from: gurnard on 22 November, 2021, 01:41:52 PM
Yeah I increased everything for all users and still could not win.
No I have never won.

But yeah it is a lovely game. :-)

Wow, I thought it might just need a minor adjustment on that front to fix it! I will definitely experiment and let you know the outcome!

Quote from: sheridan on 22 November, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
Not tried any house rules, but haven't won yet either (not that we've tried for a while, but it's a good game, other than apparently being impossible to win).

Ha, yes, it's the 'impossible' part I'm not that fond of - I like to be able to have a reasonable chance of success when playing games, but maybe that's just me...

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 November, 2021, 03:26:45 PM
I really need to break this put again - one of the few games I own which has a solo mode!

Yeah, since the pandemic hit, I've rarely been able to meet up with friends so that was part of the draw with this.

Quote from: CalHab on 22 November, 2021, 03:57:53 PM
Its a beautiful game but I just couldn't get into it. I think I probably just don't enjoy solo games.

I absolutely loved Judge Dredd: Helter Skelter, though. I got the Dark Judges expansion, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully it did well enough that they can justify more. An ABC Warriors/Nemesis expansion would be brilliant!

Ah, I was thinking of asking about JD: HS because I like the look of the minis - good to know the game is fun as well! I take it you can't really play solo? I don't really have many gaming friends who are 2000AD fans as well (shocking, I know) and I already have Warlord Games' SD and JD games so it's hard to justify something which will require more players at the moment.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Bissler on 22 November, 2021, 06:49:38 PM

Ah, I was thinking of asking about JD: HS because I like the look of the minis - good to know the game is fun as well! I take it you can't really play solo?

Helter Skelter is a truly gorgeous game, and plays really well. It's a tabeltop 2000AD Super Smash Bros - what's not to like?! The Dark Judges expansion introduces solo rules, so that your team can go up against the DJs - you could probably fudge some house rules from that so that you could go up against any other team.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Bissler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 November, 2021, 07:37:28 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 22 November, 2021, 06:49:38 PM

Ah, I was thinking of asking about JD: HS because I like the look of the minis - good to know the game is fun as well! I take it you can't really play solo?

Helter Skelter is a truly gorgeous game, and plays really well. It's a tabeltop 2000AD Super Smash Bros - what's not to like?! The Dark Judges expansion introduces solo rules, so that your team can go up against the DJs - you could probably fudge some house rules from that so that you could go up against any other team.

Ah, nice! The wife has been asking me what I'd like for Christmas so it seems that I'm sorted! Cheers DJ!