Main Menu

DUNE rights acquired by Legendary Films.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 22 November, 2016, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Paul Atriedes is a failed hero. The first book deals with his prescient awakening and his charasmatic leadership of the fremen to depose the galactic emperor and assume total dominance in the galaxy through a form of Hydraulic despotism (replace the water for a super drug vital to space navigation).
The second (my favourite) and third books deal with his essential failure and the assumption of his mantle by his son.
The fourth book shows us the sacrafice Paul's son underwent to guide humanity along a golden path (essentially a millennia long stagnation of society). His death leads to an explosion of humanity across the universe coupled with a new strain of human who is invisible to presience. The golden path being a mechanism whereby any internal or external force, prescient or not, cannot ever threaten the survival of the human species.
The fifth and sixth books explore these ideas in a more convoluted manner and at the end of the sixth book, we are left with a cliff hanger of sorts.
The seventh book was alas never written due to Frank Herberts untimely death.
Post script: The books written by his son and KJ Anderson (supposedly based on Frank Herberts 'notes') are entirely amateurish and mainly contradictory to Herbert's great creation. In my opinion they should not be considered relevant or associate with the six Dune novels.
They appear to be a crude effort to capatilise on a breathtakingly imaginative conceptual universe.
Post, post script. It is also worth bearing in mind that Frank Herberts Estate (his son) have a level of influence in this movie. I dread the prospect of any direct creative tampering by him. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 02 February, 2019, 01:07:06 PM
The seventh book was alas never written due to Frank Herberts untimely death.

Post script: The books written by his son and KJ Anderson (supposedly based on Frank Herberts 'notes') are entirely amateurish and mainly contradictory to Herbert's great creation. In my opinion they should not be considered relevant or associate with the six Dune novels.

There's some evidence in Frank Herbert's own interviews around the time of Chapterhouse Dune that the outline for Dune 7 at least existed.

I'll never read the postuhumous Prequels/Sequels that are allegedly based on this found outline, but if it exists, many would like to read it – if they can ever find the initiative to publish it.

ZenArcade

Joe, maybe it's the old cynic in me, but the script will never be released because it is probably contrary to the absolute frankestienesque hack job the two guys have done to the series. Z

JOE SOAP

Indeed it likely is, but as cynicism is an obstinate bastard, these things inevitably reveal themselves, when there's still money to be made.

ZenArcade

Some of Herbert's works are amongst the best ever published in Sci Fi.
The Disadi experiment is a classic. Z

ZenArcade

von Boom

Quote from: ZenArcade on 02 February, 2019, 01:07:06 PM
Post, post script. It is also worth bearing in mind that Frank Herberts Estate (his son) have a level of influence in this movie. I dread the prospect of any direct creative tampering by him. Z
Probably the most chilling thought concerning the new film, that Bobo may influence the outcome.

Richard

Authors' estates are often terrible at protecting their legacy. I think there should be a law that when a successful author dies, his entire family should be sacrificed.

ZenArcade

Drag them out to the Tanezrouft, bind them with coils of shigawire. Set up a pseudoshield and leave them to the mercy of the dragon of the deep. Z

von Boom

Quote from: ZenArcade on 03 February, 2019, 11:35:32 AM
Drag them out to the Tanezrouft, bind them with coils of shigawire. Set up a pseudoshield and leave them to the mercy of the dragon of the deep. Z
Well said. Your wisdom is as deep as the desert is wide.

Bolt-01

Quote from: Richard on 03 February, 2019, 10:48:53 AM
Authors' estates are often terrible at protecting their legacy. I think there should be a law that when a successful author dies, his entire family should be sacrificed.

Richard I believe you don't mean any actual harm to come to anyone, but would you like the Ezquerra & Smith families to read what you wrote?

wedgeski

There is a *monster* cast assembling around this adaptation. According to Empire: Tim­o­thée Cha­la­met, Re­becca Fer­gu­son, Stel­lan Skars­gård, Char­lotte Ram­pling, Dave Bautista, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, and now Javier Bardem.

JOE SOAP

The casting just went up another notch –if that's possible– by hiring Thanos as Gurney Halleck.

Josh Brolin Joins 'Dune' Reboot

von Boom

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 February, 2019, 07:48:41 PM
The casting just went up another notch –if that's possible– by hiring Thanos as Gurney Halleck.

Josh Brolin Joins 'Dune' Reboot
Beat me to it. The real question is, how does he look with a war-pug?

JOE SOAP

More importantly – how well does he play the Baliset.