Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 20 August, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
The Keep was on Film4 the other night and I've watched it over the last couple of nights... and .... well ... that was quite something... yes something.

Its not  a film I'd heard much about, so I did a bit of reading (a lot here as it goes) about it and was intrigued but approached it with caution. It had the kernal of an interesting film buried in it. Alas that kernal was lost in some pretty appalling, hamfisted execution. In summary German soldiers arrive at a Welsh slate mine masquerading as a Romanian village, home of a big scary slate Keep, which is actually a prison for... well some ill defined metaphysical nightmare. At first the sin of greed releases the beastie and the germans are picked off... or so we're told we don't see this. Then the SS arrive to raise the sins of man stakes (I think) while a jewish... what ... historian type.... is pulled to the scene with his daughter to befriend the beastie in a quick scene and get miracilous healed by it.

Meanwhile Scott Glenn fresh from how to look stern and ethereal lesson in Greece makes his way slowly to the piece so he can, in a scene make out with the jewish man's daughter and look stern and mysterious. From here in about 15 minutes there's some shouting and nearly everyone dies. The final confrontation between the also metaphyisical beastie as it turns out Scott Glenn and the original beastie, in what could be a metaphor for the evil in man challenged by the good and no one really winning but life going on...

Its been suggested that the original cut of this was over 3 hours and within that with a less murderous edit lays a good film. While the edit of this version was rubbish and so a longer version could cure many of its ills, I also suspect that it's just be another 1 1/2 of slightly ill considered pap.

The terrible thing is I think I'd put myself through it to find out. I'm a bloody idiot I suspect.
Film & TV / Re: GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES
« Last post by Goaty on 20 August, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
To quote Zefram Cochrane, "astronauts, on some kind of... star-trek".

« Last post by TordelBack on 20 August, 2017, 09:16:38 pm »
I agree Trek shows can't help themselves flogging dead adversaries, but I very much doubt another prequel would be immune. I certainly wouldn't advocate more Federation conspiracies and Romulan ofshoots, but something along the lines of the original TNG concept, heading out of the galaxy away from all that stuff (at least for a while). To quote Zefram Cochrane, "astronauts, on some kind of... star-trek". You never know, it might have legs.
Off Topic / Re: RIPs
« Last post by IAMTHESYSTEM on 20 August, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
Damn, sorry to hear Jerry Lewis has gone to the Comedy circuit in the sky.
« Last post by Professor Bear on 20 August, 2017, 08:46:34 pm »
But surely a post-Nemesis outing would be more weighed down by continuity baggage?  You've seen what Trek shows are like, they can't help themselves.

I think the merchandise for TOS shifts because that's the stuff with the most kitsch/nostalgia value for non-fans, as well as the episodic nature of it that makes it the most accessible of all the shows.  It's where normal people check into the franchise.
Announcements / Re: Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread
« Last post by robert_ellis on 20 August, 2017, 08:32:46 pm »
I thought Mad City was fantastic. I'd really like more volumes of quick quirky Dredd mixing old & new. i really liked seeing all the annual stories in this volume. I think this series has really tested my patience in the early months with obscure, out-of-sequence stories but has really hit its stride lately.
Events / Pat Mills signing & talk at Orbital comics
« Last post by rogue69 on 20 August, 2017, 07:39:00 pm »
Pat Mills has just announced on Facebook that he will be holding a signing & talk at orbital comics in London on Friday 29th September. the signing will take place from 5pm 'til 7pm with the talk starting around 7:30

Also he has just put up on his Facebook page the Facebook live chat he recently done
« Last post by TordelBack on 20 August, 2017, 07:37:02 pm »
The sad thing about this is that I suspect the investors are wrong. A *good* post-Nemesis series would have more chance of shifting merch than yet another prequel - people like TOS tat because of TOS nostalgia, not because of the specific cultural aesthetic or fictional period. My wee kids are borderline Trekkies at this point, but they want the stories to move forward not back: it's about the future for them, and even TNG seems vaguely historical to them.

They've watched TOS and the old movies (but preferred JJTrek), and have displayed no interest in the Discovery trailers.

Tell them we're picking up a decade  from the end of Voyager and hearing on a 10-year extra-galactic exploration mission and I'd say you couidn't pry them away from the telly.

Tell them we're going to see some funny looking Klingons from the time that Kirk and Spock were kids, and you get blank looks.
Books & Comics / Re: Bargains/deals thread (?)
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 20 August, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »
The don't but are all the better for it. You need to download the Dark Horse App BUT as I recall means you can store things on external storage.
Books & Comics / Re: Bargains/deals thread (?)
« Last post by Dodsy on 20 August, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »
Dark Horse have a sale on the digital versions of a host of Omnibus they have. While I have everything I'd be after these's some absolute beauties here for about a fiver I reckon.

I'd certainly I'd whole heartedly recommend

Age of Reptiles
All four Grendal Omnibus
All eight Nexus Omibus

linkie

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/okmU0ys2pQaxjyaqg9kxyIGZ8IprBYcPfe8qB3fDCdOOY5o6x4SwEdcs6nNB6H1aozJuvWcn_YsH1HgkmVUK-8Tu_H8D6KuBTJtuP9GNxtrg1fHAuH8sDBM=s0-d-e1-ft#http://i3.cmail20.com/ei/r/49/F36/2DE/csimport/digital-1.101253.jpg

Anyone have any idea if these link to your comiXology account?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10