Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

QuoteI'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this.

Never a truer word spoken.  As good as the writing was on B5, the acting quality brought it out.  Furst was no exception.  Too many now beyond the rim.

Goaty

Daveycandlish

Brian Cant from Parkinson's at age 83

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 19 June, 2017, 06:56:34 PM
Brian Cant from Parkinson's at age 83

My very first TV hero, and punchline of my very first joke.  I was a big fan of Play School, and I was entranced to find Brian had 'graduated' with me to the far more grown-up Playaway. And how I lived through long hours of the test-card to be rewarded by his voice on Camberwick Green. He hove back into my awareness with the unmissable Great Egg Race, and finally (for me) working with Lee and Herring. Just a huge part of my personal cultural landscape. RIP.

The Doctor Alt 8

WHAT? Are you sure? :o

bloody hell that show has had a run of bad luck with it's stars dieing off...

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 21 June, 2017, 12:38:27 AM
WHAT? Are you sure? :o

bloody hell that show has had a run of bad luck with it's stars dieing off...

Yup. Cant. Paul Danquah. Wally Whyton. Johnny Silvo. Sarah Long. Not to mention Buffy, Mopsy, Peter, Benjamin, and Becky. All gone.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

SIP

Michael Nyqvist, 56.

Star of the original Girl with the dragon Tattoo and more recently mission impossible 4 and John Wick.

rogue69

Paddington Bear writer Michael Bond aged 91

von Boom

Quote from: rogue69 on 28 June, 2017, 01:27:56 PM

Called back to deepest, darkest Peru I'm sure. I'm very sad about this news. RIP sir. :(

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: rogue69 on 28 June, 2017, 01:27:56 PM
Utterly devastating, some of the most gentke, charming, engrossing and just plain wholesome childrens books ever written.

Eamonn Clarke

He was, by all accounts, as decent and kindly as his most famous creation. The Paddington books were some of the first ones I was able to find for myself and check out of the children's section of our local library. I loved them, and the line drawings by Peggy Fortnum, and the wonderful tv cartoons that followed. When I think of Paddington's voice it is Michael Horden I hear.

Possibly it is reading to much into simple books for children but the themes of evacuees, refugees, acceptance, kindness and decency contained within still speak to me of the country we used to be, and one we can still become.

World book day tweeted Paddington's famous label yesterday: "Please look after this Bear" with the simple comment "We will"

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 29 June, 2017, 09:05:25 AM
He was, by all accounts, as decent and kindly as his most famous creation. The Paddington books were some of the first ones I was able to find for myself and check out of the children's section of our local library. I loved them, and the line drawings by Peggy Fortnum, and the wonderful tv cartoons that followed. When I think of Paddington's voice it is Michael Horden I hear.

Possibly it is reading to much into simple books for children but the themes of evacuees, refugees, acceptance, kindness and decency contained within still speak to me of the country we used to be, and one we can still become.

World book day tweeted Paddington's famous label yesterday: "Please look after this Bear" with the simple comment "We will"

(guiltily) I didn't realise he was still alive.  Glad he got to see his greatest creation get the Hollywood treatment (it's a good film too).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2017, 12:45:20 PM
(guiltily) I didn't realise he was still alive.  Glad he got to see his greatest creation get the Hollywood treatment (it's a good film too).

And by Hollywood, I mean Paddington was co-produced by "French company StudioCanal and the British company Heyday Films"

JamesC

A childhood favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80uOImviFc

The best Easter egg I ever got was a Paddington one. It had jelly marmalade sandwiches inside.

rogue69

film critic Barry Norman aged 83