Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 08 June, 2017, 08:47:17 PM
Anyone else read Paklis #1? It's a one person sci fi anthology with some slick art and interesting stories. I think 2000 AD fans might be interested, I like it a lot

So I got this and its really good. Its really thoughfully put together, packed and intriguing stuff. The only down side is the fact that the story and art all has the same tone, while they are all enjoyable it lacks that sense of variety that makes the best anthologies what they are. Still its all very good and thanks to The Adventurer for the heads up on this one.

Smith

Jimmy Bastards #1 Its Garth Ennis at his most...mediocre.Pass.
TMNT #70 So Bishop is [spoiler]a robot.[/spoiler]Didn't see that coming,honestly.

Hawkmumbler

Wasn't Jimmy Bastard the book featuring an obnoxious satire of trigger warnings?

Saw that one page and sighed for about 5 minutes, utterly boring.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 June, 2017, 10:11:02 AM
obnoxious satire of trigger warnings?

I always thought 'Trigger warnings' were a form of satire in and of themselves to be honest.
I'm sure I'll pick up Jimmy's Bastards in a digital fire-sale at some point in the future, but the preview didn't shake my Martini.

Not much happening with my pull list lately, went in to pick up my stash yesterday evening, and it was slim pickens; a few Progs, Cinema Purgatorio, Bane: Conquest and the final issue of Dredd / Aliens / Predator.

Next week its time to try something new- I've placed an order for the first issue of Heartthrob "Season 2" (first series was an unexpected gem, great characters, premise and a healthy sprinkling of Fleetwood Mac) and the superficially similarly themed first issue of Crosswind by Simone & Staggs.

Hawkmumbler

Alt-right memes of Trigger Warnings are shit satire, Link, but mocking the triggering trauma is something bellow even Ennis.

Link Prime

Didn't mean anything sneery there by the way Hawk, I was thinking more along the lines of "Warning: The following episode of The Walking Dead may contain scenes of violence and horror".
Always seems so laughably ridiculous.

Smith

Wasn't Jimmy Bastard the book featuring an obnoxious satire of trigger warnings?

You mean the bad guy who keeps saying stuff like:Abused by your uncle,picture of Margaret Thatcher,buggered in school?
Yeah,its there.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Smith on 15 June, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

You mean the bad guy who keeps saying stuff like:Abused by your uncle,picture of Margaret Thatcher,buggered in school?
Yeah,its there.
Yeah wont be reading it, more shallow commentary by Ennis on stuff he knows little about.

None taken Link, but that isn't a trigger warning, thats an BBFC style guidence warning. A trigger warning would be for material of a sexual assault nature, something viewers a possibly likely to have lived through and experiences still grately painful die to fkash backs and body trama.

Smith

Well,you are not missing out much.Whatever Ennis had,he lost it some time ago.  :(

Theblazeuk

I was enjoying Battlefields not too long ago.

Smith

Haven't read the whole of Battlefields,so I cant comment there,but we are never getting another Hitman(or even come close).
I respect Preacher and Punisher Max,but Hitman is the true magnum opus of Garth Ennis.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 June, 2017, 04:23:45 PM
I was enjoying Battlefields not too long ago.

Yeah the the writing is still great on that series... art however but we can't blame Ennis for that.

Link Prime

On the topic of Ennis, I'd always be inclined to give his stuff a go.
His big hits- Preacher, Hitman, Dicks and The Boys were wildly entertaining over the years, and some of the newer stuff like Section Eight and Code Pru still raise a smile.

Colin YNWA

So many good comics, this haul, just so many... oh and Doctor Who 11th, 3rd 6th which isn't a bad comic at all and looks great with INJ Culbard on art duties... its just... just this 3rd 'season' is miandering a little, well a lot. The reason is fairly clear with its rotaing cast of writers. Lets see how it goes but this one is starting to make me wonder...

We get two final issues this month, both issue 12s too. One will have to wait until the end, but next up we have Kong of Skull Island 12 with an ending which was a little functional, this series will get a re-read before I make a final call, got a bit chaotic towards the end. Lots of Arcs finishing this month too Paper Girls 15 for starters and well its pretty good and certianly perks interest in whats the come... though in the company it keeps this haul it gets a little lost. Cinema Purgatorio is still a solid 3.5 / 5 and a great read all round (well Code Pru aside).

The rest of the haul are all absolute blinders. Black Hammer 10 really moves this already superb series on supremely. It started as glorying in its mundane back drop but lately its been really cranking up the intrigue and revalations, which given the former are all the more powerfully delievered. Love the way this series is developing.

We also get a Bulletproof Coffin one shot - The 1000 Yard Stare and its an absolute gem and the best compliment I can think for it is its a welcome addition to the fantastic original two mini's with a monstrously un-meta meta take on the series.

Copperhead 14 end an arc to and also does so in fine style. This series has returned in fine form and luckily it seems like its now on a firm footing, taking breaks between arcs, but all planned and so all good. This really is the series that all 2000ad fans should be reading, trust me you'll love it.

Normally there's be no doubting that Rock Candy Mountain 3 would be book of this, or any other haul, and to be honest it is the best comic in my pile... but ... well we'll come to that soon BUT this comic has sent this already enjoyable series into the ... well a fantasy land. We learn so much, we get such bristling interchanges, such great character devlopment oh and a fight between a hobo and the devil himself, the fear absolutely palpable. This really has become a supreme comic with this issue. So glad it caught my attention, I really hope it finds an audience.

So yeah what can possibly rob that joy of a comic of its rightful crown. Well the end of a series that has been a similarly suprising piece of genius I was lucky to stumble across. The Flintstones 12 ends what must surely have been the most surprising comic from the main two for years and years. This comic has somehow managed to remain true to the spirit of the cartoon it is based on, while at the same time completely reinventing it into the best piece of social satire I have read in many, many a year. This comic really dug into the modern world and exposed our primative natures so brutally, yet compellingly and its simply flat out hilarious. If you've turned your nose up at this, as I  almost certainly would if it hadn't been for the comments on here (so a massive thank you to you lot - pulling me into this series is exactly why this is my favourite place, on my favourite place - anyway I digress ...) if you did turn your nose up at this series well damn fool you. Quickly stop, I say STOP whatever you are doing, run, I say RUN to your local comic shop and buy as much of this as you can find. 'cos if you don't you will be a lesser person and understand the human condition less than I do now for having read it.

The Flintstones has been the  best surprise I've had in years and that's why the last issue of this series gets comic of the haul over even an better comic. Its wraps things up just magnificently and succinctly sums up everything that has been great and this GREAT comic. Just wonderful and while I'll miss it I'm so very glad that these 12 issues exist and I know I'll be returning to them time and time again.

BPP

Quote from: Smith on 15 June, 2017, 04:40:11 PM
Haven't read the whole of Battlefields,so I cant comment there,but we are never getting another Hitman(or even come close).
I respect Preacher and Punisher Max,but Hitman is the true magnum opus of Garth Ennis.

Couldn't disagree more. Rover Red Charlie and Dear Billy are by far his best work, the former relatively recent. Plus Sixpack & Dogwelder which recently wound up was great. Even A Train Called Love had a ton of solid jokes in it. Whereas little has dated as hard as Hitman.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd