Main Menu

Justice League 2017

Started by JamesC, 21 June, 2016, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Based on previous DC efforts, including Wonder Woman, it will.

Professor Bear

Considering what he usually looks like, making the Flash look like a **** in this took some doing, but if nothing else I appreciate they made the effort.

Tjm86

Minor point but might want to avoid 'see you next tuesday'.   :-X

JOE SOAP

I don't know how it'll play but from a cursory look that is an ugly looking film.

radiator

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 October, 2017, 10:20:15 PM

I don't know how it'll play but from a cursory look that is an ugly looking film.

Totally agree. I honestly cannot stand the look of all the DC movies thus far. They all look incredibly over-processed and fake to me, and like someone has been messing about with colour grading sliders and pushing them all to random extremes. It's even put me off seeing Wonder Women, which people tend to say is quite good, because I find the aesthetic so utterly unappealing. I can't believe that most other people can't see what I see, or think it's a good look.

People tend to criticise the Marvel movies for their rather flat visual style, but at least the scenes in them set on Earth look like they are taking place within some version of our reality, not some nightmarish cgi greenscreen hellscape 100% of the time.

Keef Monkey

Yeah purely on a visual level this looks horrible, even in the small dose of a trailer my eyes got annoyed with it. An overwhelming CG overload and ugly as all hell.

TordelBack

Mmmm, have to agree. They even manage to make Thermyscira look like projectile vomit - previously a particularly well-realised fantasy environment.

That said, the attempts at humour, however forced, do hint at a possibly entertaining film, and the world-without-a-superman idea may give it some sort of coherent theme/goal. 

Oh who am I kidding.  That they can't get their odd Flash/Bats/Diana dynamic to even approach the believability of similar scenes in Captain America: Civil War, never mind The Incredibles, probably tells you all you need to know.

Goaty

Ouch. Empire give it 2 stars on review.

IndigoPrime

Guardian also gave it a 2, and had barely any nice things to say beyond some nods towards a couple of performances (not Affleck's, which was slammed).

Goaty

Now Total Film give it 2 stars too.

Strange as a Rotten Tomato delay the reviews - is that bad omen?

Professor Bear

I'm not defending the JL movie, but a lot of these reviews were probably already written before the reviewer had seen the film.

Goaty

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 November, 2017, 12:05:32 PM
I'm not defending the JL movie, but a lot of these reviews were probably already written before the reviewer had seen the film.

Why you do think that?

JamesC

The DCCU is a car crash but I've managed to find something to enjoy in all of their films.
Wonder Woman is by far the best and Man of Steel is the worst. I'm expecting this to fall somewhere in the middle.

matty_ae

I agree Wonder Woman is the best but would defend Man of Steel as at least being coherent if an extreme story to start with (Superman forced to kill and cause collateral damage to thousands). Suicide squad is a messy pop video aesthetic tv pilot with big names and a horrible trashy joker. But to my Bat vs Supes is the real failure. Just awful misreading of Dark Knight Returns.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: matty_ae on 15 November, 2017, 04:36:07 PM
But to my Bat vs Supes is the real failure. Just awful misreading of Dark Knight Returns.

Add it to Snyder's tone-deaf misreading of Watchmen. Perhaps that's Warner's grand plan — every couple of years, Snyder fucks up another stone cold classic. Next up! Moore's Swamp Thing! Morrison's Doom Patrol!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.