Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I think it was originally meant to be part of the original series timeline, but then when potential continuity issues cropped up, figured "let's say it's another timeline so we can do what we want'.

So far, I haven't encountered much to suggest there's a clash*, so I wish they'd kept to the original plan. So Sarek now has a human Step/adopted daughter who was never mentioned elsewhere. So what. Aside for their logic, the vulcans are well known to be a private people.

I read something about Spock not existing in this continuity, but I don't know where that came from.  It could just mean he isn't mentioned in this particular programme. Again, this show isn't about him, so that's fine.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. If it doesn't contradict the main timeline, I can just assume it's part of it.

* The biggest may be aesthetic stuff: I. E. The look of the klingons. This is hardly the first time this has happened, though.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 August, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
I think it was originally meant to be part of the original series timeline, but then when potential continuity issues cropped up, figured "let's say it's another timeline so we can do what we want'.

The producers gave little indication that they were concerned with continuity issues, while Midnight's Edge reported that the producers had issued interview directions to cast and crew that "The Original Timeline will be cited for promotional purposes."  it was probably an early decision to do a complete reboot rather than a change in direction that was forced upon them.

IAMTHESYSTEM

A little bit of Star Trek Kelvin timelines possible demise and more of interest perhaps- Dredd.

https://youtu.be/IUwv7ydzknE
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 19 August, 2017, 03:39:47 PM
A little bit of Star Trek Kelvin timelines possible demise and more of interest perhaps- Dredd.

https://youtu.be/IUwv7ydzknE

Did I hear correctly? Did he refer to a certain film studio as a "bum factory"?

Thanks for posting. That was interesting.

JLC

Quote from: Mardroid on 19 August, 2017, 01:20:13 PM

So far, I haven't encountered much to suggest there's a clash*, so I wish they'd kept to the original plan. So Sarek now has a human Step/adopted daughter who was never mentioned elsewhere. So what. Aside for their logic, the vulcans are well known to be a private people.

I read something about Spock not existing in this continuity, but I don't know where that came from.  It could just mean he isn't mentioned in this particular programme. Again, this show isn't about him, so that's fine.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. If it doesn't contradict the main timeline, I can just assume it's part of it.

* The biggest may be aesthetic stuff: I. E. The look of the klingons. This is hardly the first time this has happened, though.
They could have resolved all of this by not setting it a decade before TOS! It seems like a bizarre decision to tie it down to a specific period before TOS.

Professor Bear

That's what investors paid for.  CBS didn't have the money for a sci-fi show for CBS All Access - they could barely afford The Good Fight, which is just a legal drama that re-used existing sets - so they had to get outside investment from the likes of Netflix and McFarlane Toys, who specifically wanted something set in the original timeline.

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 August, 2017, 02:21:02 PM
That's what investors paid for.  CBS didn't have the money for a sci-fi show for CBS All Access - they could barely afford The Good Fight, which is just a legal drama that re-used existing sets - so they had to get outside investment from the likes of Netflix and McFarlane Toys, who specifically wanted something set in the original timeline.
& that is what will kill this show. Kill it dead.

Professor Bear

Almost zero chance that investors would pay for any more up front, which is the only way a second series would get funded.

TordelBack

The sad thing about this is that I suspect the investors are wrong. A *good* post-Nemesis series would have more chance of shifting merch than yet another prequel - people like TOS tat because of TOS nostalgia, not because of the specific cultural aesthetic or fictional period. My wee kids are borderline Trekkies at this point, but they want the stories to move forward not back: it's about the future for them, and even TNG seems vaguely historical to them.

They've watched TOS and the old movies (but preferred JJTrek), and have displayed no interest in the Discovery trailers.

Tell them we're picking up a decade  from the end of Voyager and hearing on a 10-year extra-galactic exploration mission and I'd say you couidn't pry them away from the telly.

Tell them we're going to see some funny looking Klingons from the time that Kirk and Spock were kids, and you get blank looks.

Professor Bear

But surely a post-Nemesis outing would be more weighed down by continuity baggage?  You've seen what Trek shows are like, they can't help themselves.

I think the merchandise for TOS shifts because that's the stuff with the most kitsch/nostalgia value for non-fans, as well as the episodic nature of it that makes it the most accessible of all the shows.  It's where normal people check into the franchise.

TordelBack

I agree Trek shows can't help themselves flogging dead adversaries, but I very much doubt another prequel would be immune. I certainly wouldn't advocate more Federation conspiracies and Romulan ofshoots, but something along the lines of the original TNG concept, heading out of the galaxy away from all that stuff (at least for a while). To quote Zefram Cochrane, "astronauts, on some kind of... star-trek". You never know, it might have legs.

Goaty

Robin Low

There's a new Star Trek roleplaying game from Modiphius Entertainment, and in the second issue of their free pdf magazine (available here http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/219371/Modiphia--Issue-2 or from the Modiphius site) there an interview with "Rick Sternbach, production illustrator/designer for Star Trek incarnations from The Motion Picture to Voyager, and consultant on Star Trek Adventures' design elements".

He's asked what character he'd create for the game:

Hmm. Human armed tech officer with a new post-Voyager directorate that goes in to explore captured or destroyed alien assets, after major incursions from outside the Milky Way begin taking out antimatter refineries run by all known species, requiring some new alliances. Specific enough for you? – And Discovery, don't steal that idea! It's mine.

Could be fun.

(He's also a fan of Stargate.)

Regards,

Robin

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

Quote"Discovery is the first Trek series with a lead character who is not a captain,"

Commander Sisko.

Quote"Lorca is extremely good at war," Isaacs says.

How?  The Federation's last war was 70 years earlier.

QuoteCBS' CEO, Les Moonves, wants us to know he's not only seen the opening episodes of Star Trek: Discovery - he thinks they're "terrific" too.

Moonves thinks NCIS New Orleans is terrific, and that not paying Asian actors the same as their white co-stars is a good idea.  His barometer of what is good does not align with my own is what I am saying.

I would go on quoting and then sniping at the quotes, but to be honest I couldn't read all of that horseshit - certainly not once it became apparent that DS9, Voyager and Enterprise were being left out of Trek canon and the only touchstone was the cultural iconography of TOS and TNG rather than their actual substance.