Main Menu

Are all new graphic novels hardcover?

Started by Dongle, 08 March, 2017, 01:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dongle

Hi

Question's quite literally in the title. Are all new graphic novels being released only in hardcover?

I've been collecting Slaine and ABC Warriors for some time but cant find any paperback versions for Slaine after Lord of the Beasts or for ABC Warriors after Volgan War.

I know the Volgan War was originally hard back and later paper back (I think) but I wondered whether they were just being released as hard back now.

Cheers

Mardroid

I haven't checked the format of all the new outings, but I think there'll still be plenty of paperbacks produced in future. The Judge Dredd case files are entirely paperback (with the exception of those special editions) for one thing, and they're still in production.

It would also be cutting off a major source of profit, condidering the cost compared to hardbacks.

TordelBack

Lord of the Beasts is the last of the 10 Slaine paperback collections - after that we are into the digital Langley era of the strip, with 3 Books of Invasion volumes that actually predate the release of the paperbacks. There are two further Langley-headlined hardback volumes that came later, Slaine the Wanderer and Book of Scars, before the current Simon Davis hardback  volumes. So the chronologically early stuff is 10 paperbacks, the latest material in 7 or 8 in hardbacks only.

It's annoying from a cost PoV, but it is an amazingly comprehensive reprint programme. Also on the plus side, the Langley volumes are reworked from the original Prog versions, with expanded art, numerous linking pages, some amazing sketches from the Hinklenton era that sadly never was, and even greatly improved dialogue - they are well worth the money, deluxe objects in their own right rather than simple reprints.

Dongle

Thanks both for the replies - I'll assume that the same approach was taken for the Langley art in ABC Warriors.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2017, 02:15:22 PM
It's annoying from a cost PoV, but it is an amazingly comprehensive reprint programme. Also on the plus side, the Langley volumes are reworked from the original Prog versions, with expanded art, numerous linking pages, some amazing sketches from the Hinklenton era that sadly never was, and even greatly improved dialogue - they are well worth the money, deluxe objects in their own right rather than simple reprints.

I didn't realise there was unseen Hinklenton artwork out there - was this for Slaine or ABC Warriors?  Which book/s is/are the bonus art including in?

IndigoPrime

Robin Low

On the subject of hardbacks, does anyone know if we're likely to see Nemesis in hardback at some point? Given that a lot of Mill's other stuff has seen hardback release, it would be good see to Nemesis, too. And the early Slaine, for that matter.

Regards,

Robin

Richard

I'd like to see Zenith released in paperback. I only have limited shelf space (and height), and so I've been holding out for some paperback volumes.

CalHab

Quote from: Robin Low on 28 May, 2017, 04:50:35 PM
On the subject of hardbacks, does anyone know if we're likely to see Nemesis in hardback at some point? Given that a lot of Mill's other stuff has seen hardback release, it would be good see to Nemesis, too. And the early Slaine, for that matter.

Regards,

Robin
There is the Deviant Edition, which is hardback.

Robin Low

Quote from: CalHab on 28 May, 2017, 05:03:16 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 28 May, 2017, 04:50:35 PM
There is the Deviant Edition, which is hardback.

Yes, you're right, I'd forgotten. I should have added that I'm hoping for the larger format.

Regards,

Robin

Steve Green

I'm not sure how b/w sells on the continent, which is why I'm guessing later Slaine/ABC Warriors get hardbacks (as well as having pristine scans)

But yeah, Early Nemesis, Slaine and Strontium Dog could do with some nice HB presentations.

Mute77

Some of the more recent h/b editions have been beauts, especially last american and luke kirby. I'd love to see a h/b stront.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 May, 2017, 04:25:20 PM
The Wanderer has 'bonus' Hicklenton art in.

Indeed, and it is absolutely brilliant.  It's just sketches with washes, used as title pages and endpapers between chapters, but it's some of my favourite Slaine art - and I wouldn't have been Hicklenton's biggest fan.  And as usual Pat* sweeps away any and all reservations one might have about some of his attitudes by sticking John's name on the cover and spine, giving him the place in Slaine's history he undoubtedly would have had, had things been different: the act of a complete gentleman.

*And presumably Matt too.

Robin Low

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 May, 2017, 06:22:28 PM
I'm not sure how b/w sells on the continent, which is why I'm guessing later Slaine/ABC Warriors get hardbacks (as well as having pristine scans)

But yeah, Early Nemesis, Slaine and Strontium Dog could do with some nice HB presentations.

The continent is missing out!

I'd be kind of reluctant to shell out again for a complete set of Strontium Dog, but it's a reluctance I'd easily overcome! Same goes for ACE Trucking, Dante, and it would be good to see the Dredd epics in full size hardback like The Cursed Earth.

While I'm here, nice work on the Stont film.

Regards,

Robin

Steve Green

Cheers Robin!

Yeah, I don't know the likelihood of getting anything anytime soon - they're going to have a lot on their plate with the Egmont archive.

Plus it depends what's going to happen with the Hachette 2000AD collection.