Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Happy anniversary! I'm almost caught up, now, (just the latest episode to listen to) and I've loved them all. I'm giving these podcasts a rating of 7.5/7.5! Here's to the next year's worth of thrillage!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: WhizzBang on 06 October, 2017, 09:38:26 PM
No collection again this week. I am not moaning as I can see Conrad put's an immense amount of work into this (the show itself, the Cradeline page, the Twitter feed, possible more) but these podcasts, along with the digital prog on Wednesday, have become highlights of my dreary week so I do watch out for them and get a bit disappointed when ther is a no-show.

Any chance of a Verdus Robo Hunter collection in the near future? I expect Flesh is a given

I may or may not be almost possibly responsible for this maybe.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 October, 2017, 08:04:23 AM
Still loving the show and now I'm up to date with the weekly podcast it now comes with added anticipation! Its like reading the Progs all over again!

So in the latest (May 1981) you mention thinking that there was a James Bond scene with ice yachts fight is it possible this is being conflated with the ice yacht type thingie in Barbarella? Actually who knows as I might be misremembering that as well? Its been an age since I've seen that movie.

As for Return to Armageddon I completely see where you are coming from about the ending. The strip was always more about the journey than the destination, but in a way that makes it (the ending) work all the more. It reminds the reader that for all the batshit crazy stuff that led there this was still a sci-fi/fantasy story in a boys comic and all the wonderful stuff you had before plays out in wonderful juxapostion to the more traditional ending sequence.

That said even the end is stil kinda a little off kilter, you have nice reminders of what's gone before, as you say Seeker remains one of 2000ad great characters, though alas he appears less at the end. Also Amtrack while playing more of a typical hero role is still pretty bumbling until right at the end. He's always getting rescued and captured and what not. A nice gentle reminder that this is not the normal and while I do think the end is weaker than whats gone before seen as a whole for me it kinda works in its own wonky way.

Keep up the excellent work, I'm almost as excited as you are about some of the things that you'll be talking about soon. Still my favourite podcast out there and thanks for the continued efforts.

So, RTA is something a bit special for me still. Like, I'm not going to go out and hate something that clearly was astounding. I play a lot of games and almost all endings are never that satisfying, especially horror. Amtrak was this character I felt had something to gain from being put into this position where he is in constant pain and being treated like dirt, and eventually has to confront in some way the horrors of how he was treated by human beings.

This is ultimately what made me unhappy about it. I didn't expect him to be jaded, but I did expect that there would be some questioning of that experience, and if he truly should save them. Have his counterpart give him this conundrum and, as Amtrak appears to be turning evil, reveal that he's actually just using it to get close and stop this whole thing from happening. That string never got plucked and I feel it was a missed opportunity.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 October, 2017, 04:37:18 PM
Happy anniversary! I'm almost caught up, now, (just the latest episode to listen to) and I've loved them all. I'm giving these podcasts a rating of 7.5/7.5! Here's to the next year's worth of thrillage!

Thanks for the love!

SpaceSpinner2000

KLEG HAI! The insane Judge Cal has taken control of Mega-City One and it's up to Judge Dredd, Judge Giant, and a rag tag team of instructors and kings of underground rivers to stop him in the sixth in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This week it's time for resistance with the saga of Judge Cal. following the events of the Cursed Earth, Dredd returns home to find the powerful Cal out to get him, and when the Chief Judge is murdered, all hell breaks loose! The third great Dredd mega-epic, Judge Cal is the always relevant story of a mad tyrant coming to power and a determined resistance taking him down.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

(The episode won't be up for about 15 more minutes, but I wanted to get a jump on it here!)
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

with your two collection poddys you are spoiling us this week

SpaceSpinner2000

Head 'em and move 'em out! From the 23rd century AD to 65 million years ago, it's time to feed the hungry mouths of the future with Flesh! Join Earl Reagan, Claw Carver, and the hag Tyrannosaurus Rex herself Old One Eye in the seventh in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This time we're heading out into the frontier of millions years ago to drive herds of angry dinos and eventually be killed by them. Tough cowboy Earl Reagan leads the cast of time traveling cowpokes as they fight everything from giant alligators to bloodthirsty giant spiders to tyrannosaurs with three human heads thanks to a crazy time-travel mixup! It's a great early thrill. Check it out and learn why Flesh is always on the menu!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

There's still more to come!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 219-222 of 2000 AD, covering July of 1981. Join us as we conclude Portrait of a Mutant, the Mega Rackets roll on, the Jensen Gang strikes, and Nemesis the Warlock returns! CREDO! The second half of 1981 is full of premieres of classic thrill-powered stories, and it all starts here!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

More collections to come this week!

Leigh S

Oh/ My/ God

Ghost Town, Portrait of  Mutant and Nemesis... Don't think humanity has improved on this month

Colin YNWA

Oh I'm looking forward to my journey to work tomorrow accompanied by your thoughts on Nemesis.

I do however have another point to make. Are you in trouble, does someone disapprove of you recording your podcast. Do you have sensitive neighbours sicked by your depraved enjoyment of this sick British comic?

The reason I ask is the wrap around bits of the Flesh 'Trade' seemed like you were desperately keeping your voice down. As if recording under your duvet by touch light after your bedtime desperate that your Mum didn't catch you! It sounds clear and fine BUT hushed.

SpaceSpinner2000

The third quarter of 1981 has at least one historic storyline or thrill premiere, it's insane.
July: Nemesis arrives full time/end of portrait of a mutant
August: Judge Death Lives
September: Rogue Trooper premieres
BONUS MONTH
October: Ace Trucking premiers/The Hot Dog Run/Start of Block Mania (just one issue)

It's not until November or December that we'll really slow down with new and history stuff. It's a good era for podcast, but a tough one once we finally get to the 81 Spinnies and have to figure out the best one!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 October, 2017, 09:52:34 PM
Oh I'm looking forward to my journey to work tomorrow accompanied by your thoughts on Nemesis.

I do however have another point to make. Are you in trouble, does someone disapprove of you recording your podcast. Do you have sensitive neighbours sicked by your depraved enjoyment of this sick British comic?

The reason I ask is the wrap around bits of the Flesh 'Trade' seemed like you were desperately keeping your voice down. As if recording under your duvet by touch light after your bedtime desperate that your Mum didn't catch you! It sounds clear and fine BUT hushed.

Haha! I do tend to speak a little quieter when it's just me, there's just something about talking to myself that makes me get a little self conscious :D It's a good point though, will try to be louder and prouder for the upcoming Robo-Hunter, Strontium Dog (Journey to Hell), Harlem Heroes, and the ultra-secret-mega collection that I'll be putting out over the next week or two before Thursdays turn into Special and Annuals day!

SpaceSpinner2000

Holy Joe Smith! It's the year 2140 and Sam Slade, ace Robo-Hunter, is being sent to the planet Verdus to deal with a massive robot uprising. Along with his robo-meter Cutie and the de-aged and cantankerous Kidd all head out for adventure in the eighth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 Collection! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This time we're headed out to Verdus for some awesome action and hilarious situations! From the sewers full of robo-gators to the streets teaming with empty robo-taxis, to the stately halls of robo-parliament Sam and friends do what they do best, crack wise and bow up robots. It's another great early thrill, and one of the silliest of all time. Check it out, and learn why sometimes saving the day has some unintended consequences!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

SpaceSpinner2000

All roads lead to Hell as futuristic bounty hunters Johnny Alpha, Wulf, and the alien The Gronk pursue their quarry to the land of fire and brimestone! It's an awesome Strontium Dog adventure in the ninth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 Collections! ! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This time exploring a strange dimension full of skeletal horesmen, flaming rivers, and the devil himself in a story full of action, amazing art, and more than a few CB radio call signs. Journey to Hell was the second apperance of the Strontium Dog series in 2000AD (following its run in the discontinued Starlord) and it arrives here fully formed and super awesome! If you're a fan of Johnny Alpha, 2000AD, or action comics in general, you owe it to yourself to check out Strontium Dog, Journey to Hell!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Please let me know what you think of the episode! One more collection coming tomorrow then I'll be caught up! :D

WhizzBang

Thank you so much - this weeks podcasts have been a real treat.

SpaceSpinner2000

The Heroes fly high in the tenth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This time we're heading out for future sports action with the Harlem Heroes! Basketball, soccer, karate, and freakin' jet packs collide in this awesome prog 1 thrill. We'll meet heroic Heroes like Giant, brian-in-a-jar Louis, evil villains like the murderous cyborg Gruber, and Aeroball teams from all over the world. If you like future sports you'll love the Harlem Heroes!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Please let me know what you think of the episode! We're now finally caught up on Collection episodes, so posting should "slow down" a bit to our regular twice a week schedule. DROWN IN CONTENT! :D

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling sixty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 223-227 of 2000 AD, covering August of 1981. Join us as we reach the end of Meltdown Man, Johnny Alpha returns to duty, we'll see the face of Nemesis, and JUDGE DEATH LIVES! We are in goddamn flavor country here!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Leigh S

Don't worry - the Warlock's genitals are on display, it will just take a decade or two before Pat feels confortable enough to be explicit about it..... !

What a run of progs though! You have to give Mean Arena its dues, as it stops complete thrill circuit meltdown as we build up to the next level thrills once Rogue and Ace turn up!