Main Menu

Prog 2045 - Apocalypse Then!

Started by Judge Olde, 18 August, 2017, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JPMaybe on 19 August, 2017, 07:49:06 PM
Nah it was another one I'm thinking of.  Dredd tells him to behave cos he's just a citizen now or something.

You've got me there, but Garth Ennis and John Burns's Raider (811-814) is another case of exit by unjudicial liaison - although Karl Raider served twenty years before getting his oats.

Discussion of Doomsday on another thread reminds me that Lon Tirps, the private dick who employs DeMarco when she exits the Department was another Academy mate of Dredds who decided dipping his wick was more fun than polishing his day stick.

The solution to the Department's staffing shortages might be to recall the legions of shag-happy former employees kicking around town.

Leigh S

Yep - Falucci tapes

Sladek and Falucci discuss it

Falucci says it wouldnt be so bad if he told the Dept and Sladek says it would be the "end" =  he couldnt give up being a Judge as if is part of him - he isnt worried he will get titaned out, just they'll take his badge off him - he gets a trip to Titan beacuse he commits murder in an attmept to hide the affair

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2017, 08:30:26 PM
Quote from: JPMaybe on 19 August, 2017, 07:49:06 PM
Nah it was another one I'm thinking of.  Dredd tells him to behave cos he's just a citizen now or something.

You've got me there, but Garth Ennis and John Burns's Raider (811-814) is another case of exit by unjudicial liaison - although Karl Raider served twenty years before getting his oats.

Discussion of Doomsday on another thread reminds me that Lon Tirps, the private dick who employs DeMarco when she exits the Department was another Academy mate of Dredds who decided dipping his wick was more fun than polishing his day stick.

The solution to the Department's staffing shortages might be to recall the legions of shag-happy former employees kicking around town.

Well, whoever was left after DoC.

I'm not sure even Otto Sump's special brand condoms would have stopped them from getting a dose of the old Chaos Bug.

Richard

When Raider resigns Dredd tells him "Remember you're a citizen now, Raider. Obey the law." Or words to that effect; I'm not looking it up. Raider thinks (in narration) "I couldn't give a spug what Joe said."

Raider is one of the stories Karl Urban read when researching the role.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2017, 08:30:26 PMDiscussion of Doomsday on another thread reminds me that Lon Tirps, the private dick who employs DeMarco when she exits the Department was another Academy mate of Dredds who decided dipping his wick was more fun than polishing his day stick.

'79 was a bad Academy year for graduates keeping it in their shorts. Judge Bart Kimble kept a secret step-family in Class of '79.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 August, 2017, 09:29:58 PM
Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2017, 08:30:26 PM
Lon Tirps, the private dick who employs DeMarco when she exits the Department was another Academy mate of Dredds who decided dipping his wick was more fun than polishing his day stick

'79 was a bad Academy year for graduates keeping it in their shorts. Judge Bart Kimble kept a secret step-family in Class of '79.

The Academy bunk rooms must have smelt like Harry Styles' tour bus. Makes you wonder what cadets Hunt, Wagner, and Gibson did to get their names on the honour roll. *

* Prog 27

judgerufian

An excellent cover by Cliff Robinson and an interesting Dredd.

Alienist is building slowly, great artwork.

Hope is continuing to attract my attention, i am drawn to the main character alot and the setting is still a great departure from normal tooth territory.

I had to read Greysuit three times to follow this weeks instalment, a mess of an episode from two major 2000ad talents due to the fact two guys who look very similar are disguised in the same way. And didnt Zil get his head chopped off with a circular saw blade in Bolivaria? This strip is losing me big time.

3thriller opens big, great last panel. Is that a reject robot from Nemesis? Looking forward to episode two.

A.Cow

Quote from: judgerufian on 19 August, 2017, 11:32:48 PM
An excellent cover by Cliff Robinson and an interesting Dredd.

Please can someone explain what's going on with all those creases in the uniforms?

I now understand why Walter the Wobot used to do so much ironing.

Jeez, if that's leather or waterproof synthetic then these guys must rustle or squeak as they walk.  Have they not heard of skintight LycraTM?

JPMaybe

Quote from: Richard on 19 August, 2017, 08:58:39 PM
When Raider resigns Dredd tells him "Remember you're a citizen now, Raider. Obey the law." Or words to that effect; I'm not looking it up. Raider thinks (in narration) "I couldn't give a spug what Joe said."

Raider is one of the stories Karl Urban read when researching the role.

That's almost certainly what I was (mis)remembering, ta.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Tjm86

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 August, 2017, 07:17:13 AM
Have they not heard of skintight LycraTM?

"What were you expecting?  Yellow lycra?"

dancornwell

Thanks for the kinds words everyone. I'm sure you'll understand just how big a deal this was for me. I mean getting to illustrate anything in the prog would be a dream and to be lucky enough for it to be a 5 part Dredd story is just incredible to me. Still hard to believe. Wake me up, I must be dreaming!

Frank

QuoteHellboy was my favourite read at the time and I thought "if Mike Mignola can get away with drawing bugger all then so can I" [1]
Kev Walker, Meg 290

Is Mike Mignola the greatest influence on modern day 2000ad?

Certainly the greatest of artists never employed by Tharg [2], and 2000ad wouldn't be blessed with as many eccentric looking monster men [3] - who, alone or in teams, investigate/punch the supernatural [4] - if Mignola hadn't quit the day job at Big 1.

Richardson hasn't overhauled his aesthetic completely, but I prefer the bold and (comparatively) spare lines of Mechastopheles to the nineties Image comic stylings of Outlier. The splash of the ginormous Torque-Armada/Death's Head mek is great.

Influence is this week's theme. Who can say what possessed Eoin Coveney to give Saoirse Ronan a cameo, or how this week's Hope used the same mixture of sex, celebrity and illusion to deceive the stewards of a hostelry as The Alienist deployed 3 weeks ago?

Probably the same dark forces at work that mean Greysuit covers exactly the same terrain - sex abuse by public figures at Dolphin Square - we won't be seeing in prog 2050's John Smithless return of Indigo Prime. How about Zil's handbrake change of heart, eh?

Probably the only thing the ill crossed authors of The Alienist and Greysuit share is a vocabulary, with both Blake and Praetorious deploying the term 'sheeple' to very different effect and purpose. Which pseudo politics legitimises reference to the letters page:

Tharg dismisses two specific points regarding the conformity of world view articulated in the comic with handwaving about how it's always been that way - and blames the creators, forgetting last week's back page featured a combover plotting Armageddon.

Like the letter writer, I share Tharg's opinions, but nobody goes to an echo chamber for entertainment. Someone on Tharg's books must dispute Keansian economics; maybe Arthur Wyatt thinks Hitler went about it the wrong way but had the right idea?

[1] Walker adds "it's not as easy as it looks. I have to labour over every pencil line. It's the shapes you're creating that are important. It's design rather than illustration ... I have huge respect for Mignola: he was the first person to inspire me since the early days of 2000ad"

[2] The cover for Vendetta In Gotham seems like a DC hire to me; others may know better.

INFLUENCED BY MIGNOLA

Walker
MacNeil
Trevallion
Richardson

INFLUENCED BY BOLLAND

Robinson
Kitson
Roach
Marshall
Julien
Foster
Coveney

INFLUENCED BY BISLEY

Staples
Critchlow
Bliss
Power
Fabry (sorry)
Langley
Carney
Millgate
Murray
Brashill

[3] Lobster Random, Zombo, Harry Kipling, Blunt

[4]Caballistics, Absalom, The Order, Ben & Kawl

Proudhuff

I'm weeks behind in my Prog reading, but that Dredd Stories had me hooked by the cover alone!
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 August, 2017, 04:46:37 PM
I'm weeks behind in my Prog reading, but that Dredd Story has me hooked by the cover alone!

You'll love it. Speaking of the power of promotion, I saw the TV adverts for the 2000ad Hachette part work. All those watching Frasier repeats at 9am now know they can pick up The Horned God for £2.

Am I the only reader for whom the concentric ripples on the atypically rain soaked skeds and peds of MC1 - outside a psychiatric facility, wherein a grim hero interviews a patient in an attempt to avoid their death - brought to mind The Killing Joke?

The angle on that establishing panel is great, and I like Cornwell's simultaneously grubby and flashy MC1*. The mushroom cloud splash page suggests Dan isn't quite yet your man for a big, impressionistic montage*, but his character work is exceptional.

The interaction between Mac and the Doc, and the following bar scene, would be dull expo in most hands, but here they're the fireworks, showcasing a facility with facial expression and body language comparable to the late Steve Dillon.

Morant's posture and the attitudes he adopts tell the reader as much about the character as the dialogue. Could be a fun caper, but Mac's kidding himself about Texas psych care.

* The problem Drinker is a great name for a boozer, but I'm not sure I needed the gag to be literally signposted three times in the same panel. The private sanatorium doubles up on the signage too, but only manages to spell it correctly once. A privet(e) sanatorium sounds nice, though.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 19 August, 2017, 12:39:07 PM
I'm very interested to see where that Dredd is going.

But my favourite story in the prog right now is Hope, which is brilliantly written and brilliantly drawn. I do t know how it will end, but if the ending leaves room for a sequel then I really hope there is one.

There's a promising 3riller written by Gordon Rennie and Lawrence Rennie -- son? Brother? Husband? The plot thickens!

Not husband, unless they've legalised polygamy (or whatever it would be called if somebody was married to a man and a woman).  Looks like the whole family is getting in on the script droid lark though!