Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: james newell on 17 July, 2019, 01:06:19 PM
...it was coloured by another artist when 2000ad added more colour pages to the weekly

Tim Perkins, whose signature yellows and pinks were ubiquitous in 2000ad during the awkward transition from some-colour to all-colour strips.

Alan Craddock's regularly cited as ensuring classics like The Pit and America 2 weren't all flawless perfection, but Perkins deserves a mention for splashing the Windsor & Newton all over early episodes of Colin MacNeil's wonderful Song Of The Surfer line art.

It's seldom discussed, but the way Judge Dredd became a strip that regularly featured line art with production line colour added as an afterthought* - especially when it was running alongside sumptuous painted art - added to the feeling that it had become devalued.

* Dondie Cox and Gina Hart would bring a greater level of professionalism to the process of colouring photocopied line art, but there's no comparing even their best efforts to a talented artist colouring their own work.

Frank

I don't own this - Mark Willis does* - but this makes me wonder what other delights died on the rack of Fleetway's early nineties drum scanner.

* Or he did 2 years ago. Direct link to better quality image, since 2000ad's forum does the same to art as their print department used to do in the days of Baggy- https://i.imgur.com/xxQ338i.png?1

Woolly

I'd imagine just about all the painted art suffered at the time, not just the scanning but the printing, paper quality, etc.

I'd love to think the owners of the originals would be happy to provide quality new scans of the pages for new editions (at Rebellion's expense), but that sadly doesn't appear the case for the most part.
I'm thinking of one person in particular here...

Frank

Quote from: Woolly on 23 July, 2019, 09:23:48 PM
I'd imagine just about all the painted art suffered at the time, not just the scanning but the printing, paper quality, etc.

Barney's scan of this isn't great either*, but there's a whole alternate version of the eighties and early nineties here, where you could at least discern the subtle differences in technique and palette among the Bisley Delugers.

Unlike the Phillips image above, Nick Percival's finish is quite rough, but at least the vibrancy of the colours gives it a sort of energy and individuality missing from the identikit version that made it onto the cover.

* I don't think the gold effect on the text helps the brightness and contrast levels

davidbishop

It's 20+ years since I've seen the original but the photo on the left looks waaaaaay too bright, as if someone's gone big on the brilliance setting with their iPhone camera filters. But I could be entirely wrong!

Frank

Quote from: davidbishop on 24 July, 2019, 06:09:11 AM
It's 20+ years since I've seen the original but the photo on the left looks waaaaaay too bright, as if someone's gone big on the brilliance setting with their iPhone camera filters. But I could be entirely wrong!

Your other left.

CalHab

Quote from: Woolly on 23 July, 2019, 09:23:48 PM

I'd love to think the owners of the originals would be happy to provide quality new scans of the pages for new editions (at Rebellion's expense), but that sadly doesn't appear the case for the most part.
I'm thinking of one person in particular here...

I think I know the person you mean. I've had one interaction with the guy. It was a simple transaction- offer made, offer accepted- and he still managed to sour the thing. I haven't gone back to him since. Shame really, since he has a ridiculously large amount of art.

MacabreMagpie

Not posted my art here before (avatar excluded!) so thought I'd share a few recent commissions.

Dr Feeley Good

Amazing them Paul, saw them on Facebook and was blown away, especially love the Cursed Earth one..  :D

Rogue Judge

Awesome work Paul! So much detail! Thanks for posting

Link Prime

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 29 July, 2019, 09:38:11 PM
Not posted my art here before (avatar excluded!) so thought I'd share a few recent commissions.

Very nice Hell Street Blues piece.

MacabreMagpie

Thanks all! All a lot of very hard work but also lots of fun.

Frank

Anyone who has witnessed the great Henry Flint struggle, like Tesla, with the elemental force of electricity itself will understand why he needs a quick sale of this gorgeous art.

Help out a true legend of 2000ad and try not to feel guilty that it only set you back 50 quid (not a typo)

All six pages from the recent Judge Dredd story Pets, by Rob Williams and Henry Flint (prog 2134), the epilogue to the Small House mini-epic.

Frank

Reports on social media that the McMahon (& Ezquerra) art for Peter Harris's Judge Whitey just went for $90,000 at auction.

Which one of you took out a second mortgage?

Geoff

Not me!

In the same auction, the art for the famous Crumb 'Stoned Agin' poster sold for $690,000!

There's some rich people out there who like underground stuff..