Main Menu

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 3DS

Started by shaolin_monkey, 11 June, 2013, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I'm starting a topic for this because I am really quite excited to get the latest version, due out this week!

Eurogamer has posted a fab review (and it's score is very similar to that of many other established gaming websites) which I present here for your delectation:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-03-animal-crossing-new-leaf-review

I originally came to Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, and had to import a copy from somewhere to play it, as the UK release didn't come out until over a year later.  Both my partner at the time and I fell in love with the game instantly, and we've owned all versions of the game since.  Ever since the kids were old enough to have a Nintendo DS they've been playing it too.  Given the ability to go visit each others randomly generated towns, trade items, patterns, clothes etc etc etc it has been a blast to play it with my kids.

Everything that happens in Animal Crossing is set in real time.  Seasons come and go at the same time as hours.  Events happen, some matching RL events, and some made up specifically for the game.  It's full of funny animal characters who have their own houses, give you gifts and tasks, and have wacky conversations with.  There's also customisation of your house, trading at Nook's corner shop, collecting fossils, fish and insects for the museum, and also a coffee shop where KK Slider plays a new ditty every 8pm on a Saturday night.  My eldest used to beg me to be allowed up until 8pm so she she could listen to his latest ditty.  He'd also give her a mix tape to play at a later date.

When my first child was born my partner and I were stuck in one New Years Eve. No babysitters etc - everyone was out partying.  We really could not be arsed with Clive James or Hootenany, and instead fired up the Gamecube.  I said to her in passing 'I wonder what the animals in Animal Crossing are doing right now? '

We put the game on, and found they were all gathered around the lake waiting for midnight to strike.  they greeted us excitedly and begged us to hang around.  At the strike of twelve they set off loads of fireworks, all reflecting beautifully in the lake, and the mayor gave us party hats, poppers and presents.  It was brilliant!!   

So yeah, Animal Crossing really gets it's hooks into you, to such an extent that, in the absence of friends to party with, we actually enjoyed seeing in a New Year with computer game characters. How nuts is that?!?

Anyway....

Have you guys played it before?  Are you going to get this for your 3DS? 

shaolin_monkey

Texas City Judge, Animal Crossing style.

Bloody hell, this is the gaming equivalent of crack cocaine.

WhizzBang

I have got this partly because my girlfriend enjoys these games but also because it is strangely addictive and a pleasant way to wind down of an evening. My girlfriend is very good at the town planning side of things while I just potter about and do silly stuff.

We have no friends registered on our 3DS so no other towns to visit. Can this be the thread to leave friend codes on? It is too late for me to find out my one right now but I will check this thread again and post another day.

shaolin_monkey

By all means note your friend code here. I will dig mine out tomorrow.

I'm having a blast with this, but spending WAAAY too much time on it.  I'm mixing up a bit of designing with exploring, fishing, and growing various orchards.

shaolin_monkey

STAK!

Searching the Orange Sea Coast for GI scum, Animal Crossing style!

shaolin_monkey

Oh , and here's my friend code.  Post yours here too, and I'll add you.

1977-0141-7262

Acid for Blood

I didn't play it for a couple days and my favorite neighbor moved away. Boxes packed and everything. :'(