Main Menu

Who's Your favourite 2000ad Artist from Northern Ireland?

Started by planetmirth, 19 January, 2011, 05:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetmirth

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing a 1 hour drama for a BBC NI competition and the main character is a huge fan of 2000ad (aren't we all ;)).

He's listing off his favourite 2000ad Artists who come from Northern Ireland, and I was just wondering if anyone here has a particular favourite.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Best wishes

Darren
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

Emperor

No disrespect to John McCrea (or Malachy Coney or Will Simpson) but it has to be PJ surely? ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Buddy

Art

We recently established on Twitter that PJ is the best PJ that is not fictional (Maybe) or PJ Harvey (Harvey).

planetmirth

Wow, impressed with the speedy replies. Looks like Mr. Holden gets listed first  :D

I hadn't even realised Rufus was from Northern Ireland.  :-[

Thanks for the input.

Best wishes

Darren
'A computer once beat me in chess... but it was no match for me in kick-boxing!'
Visual Effects Examples

SmallBlueThing

Fatboydale

Mr PJ Holden for the North and Mr Steve Dillion for the south

I, Cosh

I always thought Glenn Fabry was Irish. I was wrong.

From those mentioned it's got to be Will Simpson. Bloodlines and The War Machine.
We never really die.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

BPP

Much love for em all but Simpson was a titan. Oz, Bloodlines etc. Different Class.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jared Katooie

I had no idea that Will Simpson and Rufus Dayglo were from NOrthern Ireland.

Why was I not informed?

Buddy

Quote from: Fatboydale on 19 January, 2011, 05:52:01 PM
Mr PJ Holden for the North and Mr Steve Dillion for the south

Is Dillon from Ireland??

I thought he just lived there for a bit..... never sounded Irish to me any time I've talked with him.

But no, really... PJ (and he is good) better than Rufus...  I don't think so...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=164918&GSub=7183

sorry cant do image links

maryanddavid

PJ is the best, best of a good lot too. Dillon lived for a good while in Dublin, he is Engligh afaik. Dermot Power from the other side of the border is pretty good, as is Killian Plunket, though Ive only seen a bit of his work, Only found out he was Irish when I saw him on the news as the artist on Star Wars.

David

pauljholden

Bah! When I typed up this thread title I thought "this can't possibly backfire, I'm the ONLY 2000ad artist in NI, this will be good for the ego". What an idiot.

-pj
(ps Only joking! Though it is somewhat depressing that I think every artist mentioned is better than me. Thank god it's a short list.)

Buddy

Ahh yes Dermott Power.. he was v good...

I would place them..

1. Rufus
2. Dermott
3. Mal Coney
4. Sean Doran
5. Chalrie Gillespie
6. Will Simpson
7. PJ
8. McCrea

I didn't think Dillon was Irish... living here for a bit and drinking lots of Guinness doesn't count....so he's out of the list.