Main Menu

Feature: The Production Process

Started by A.Cow, 26 April, 2014, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

I'm a big fan of Steve Cook's blog (http://secret-oranges.blogspot.co.uk/) and especially enjoy his occasional posting of old 2000 AD production art masters.

For people like me who have never worked in the print industry, it's fascinating seeing the processes that went into producing the Galaxy's Greatest of our youth.

This got me thinking: would it be possible to do a feature in the Megazine detailing the "old school" methods?  Stuff like how they applied the half-tone bits; how covers were marked-up for colour separations; what rules artists had to follow; maybe anecdotes about censorship?

It could also give credit to the unsung editorial heroes -- for example, I never realised how much cover colouring was done by lettering legend Tom Frame.

Maybe even a companion article comparing with how it all works today?

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there to see if anyone else thinks it's a cool idea.

Frank

Plus one for that suggestion. Cook's disparate blog activities already form the basis from which such a feature could be pulled together, and getting Cook, Robin Smith, and Simon Parr to discuss the evolution of the comic from the perspectives of production and design over the three eras they represent would be fascinating.

I suppose hoping for Kev O'Neill to contribute would be a bit much, but  I'd love to hear more of his mentor, Jan Shepheard's, memories of putting together that important early material and creating such iconic work. Can't be many figures in the UK comics industry who've had their work reproduced in letters 30 feet high all over the world.