Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Alan Davis or Simon Harrison

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 January, 2021, 06:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Last call for the last vote of Round 2 for the classic side of the Tourney. Let us know your favourite today and I'll let you know the winner tomorrow.

Huey2

" I even liked his work on Strontium Dog, but that's just me.  And it really is just me."

It definitely isn't.

Whilst I would rather Carlos had drawn every Stront tale, I think Harrison was the ideal choice to follow him. Carlos was a totally unique artist with no clones or imitators and his own way of drawing faces. Harrison was the same.

His work on Strontium Dog was so atmospheric and bleak. Feral never looked as good again and Dougal the dog was a great creation.

I love that Harrison was forging his own path with his own style. Whilst others were starting to play with colour, Harrison was showing new ways to play with ink.

It's a shame that stripwise he was giving a poisoned chalice followed by two marmite strips.

I do wonder how things might have been had he been given the A.B.C. Warriors gig. Had there been three artists instead of two, it wouldn't have been pitting SMS versus Bisley in a way that pitting Fabry against Pugh lost us Pugh. Perhaps we might have been enjoying Harrison and SMS's work for a lot longer.

Oh, and Revere is just fantastic.

broodblik

That is one of my problems carried over from my youth, I could never forgive Simon for "killing" Johnny. So whenever I see his work I have decided not too like it, irrespective how good the strip is. I disliked Revere when it was initial released. I have decided to get the new digital release and read it and judge it accordingly the contents and not my prejudice.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Have to be honest the fact that this was so close has surprised me. Its always great when these votes surprise you. Both artist drew loads of vote but unlike many votes I suspect that the individual decisions might not have been as close as in other votes? Simon Harrison is an astonishing talent but he divides opinion, some love him (I'm in that camp) some really don't get on. Alan Davis on the other hand is one of the stars of the early Prog but I'd dare to suggest he's not as fondly remembered as some of his contempories?

All that said

Alan Davis

Is into the Quarters.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 22 January, 2021, 03:32:46 PM
That is one of my problems carried over from my youth, I could never forgive Simon for "killing" Johnny.

In fairness, it was Colin McNeil who did the actual killing scene there.  I always liked that story and hated that they undid Johnny's messianic death, but I'm in a minority there and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, to quote some other little-known sci-fi franchise.

Hershey, now, that's another story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"