Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 October, 2017, 07:21:51 PM
True, this is why I am a bit conflicted in this regard.  Would a heterosexual couple acting in the same way have had the same affect on me?  I'd already figured out Stamets' orientation from his interaction with his old research partner so it wasn't much of a revelation.  Am I being unfair to the characterisation here?  Maybe.  As I say, it just jarred a little.  Sorry.

Well, I'm not trying to be a dick by asking. I'm just curious. The scene didn't seem much different to me from O'Brien and Keiko or Worf and Dax. I would assume (although how you'd avoid the promo material pointing out Stamets and the doctor are a gay couple) it might have been a surprise to someone out there watching.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Tjm86

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 October, 2017, 03:05:12 PM
I miss the robot faced dude from the pilot whose head would flash the words "RED ALERT" on his face during an emergency. 

I was completely expecting something more like this:

Goaty

Would really love to see more character of Lorca, even he did [spoiler]blew up his ship with crew[/spoiler].

blackmocco

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 October, 2017, 07:23:52 PM
Worf and Dax enjoyed a long and developing relationship - this was just, bam! There was no build up (unless I missed it).

Sorry. I know the question wasn't for me.

Yeah, I deleted that part. Didn't mean it to look so snappy, Sharky. That wasn't intended.

Yeah, DS9 showed us that for sure, and at 22 episodes over multiple seasons mostly concentrating on character development, it had the time to do that. We've less episodes with this one, and it's a show less concerned with ensemble so some of this stuff has to be a little more broad strokes. Everything in the scene tells us what we need to know about them and their relationship in a condensed form without making a big song and dance about it. If the writing's a little clunky, so be it. The message is more important.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Smith

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 October, 2017, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 18 October, 2017, 07:08:17 PM
But Lorca is totally supposed to come across that way. It can bother you in that you don't see it as becoming of a Starfleet Captain but I don't think it's a fault with the script.

Yeah. We are clearly supposed to regard Lorca as a man whose moral compass is seriously off, leading to the question of whether we are misjudging him, or whether Burnham's willingness to buck the chain of command is going to come into play again...
It comes into play every episode.And every episode she learns a lesson about it,but I digress...
Im not really buying that as a tough moral choice.He left a man(even if its Mudd) to be tortured and killed.Thats hard to justify.
And the whole thing about his last crew...are we suppose to care?

The Legendary Shark

Sorry I snapped back, Blackmocco. Very un-Trekkie of me! (Maybe Lorca's my great-great-great-grandson...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Quote from: Smith on 18 October, 2017, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 October, 2017, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 18 October, 2017, 07:08:17 PM
But Lorca is totally supposed to come across that way. It can bother you in that you don't see it as becoming of a Starfleet Captain but I don't think it's a fault with the script.

Yeah. We are clearly supposed to regard Lorca as a man whose moral compass is seriously off, leading to the question of whether we are misjudging him, or whether Burnham's willingness to buck the chain of command is going to come into play again...
It comes into play every episode.And every episode she learns a lesson about it,but I digress...
Im not really buying that as a tough moral choice.He left a man(even if its Mudd) to be tortured and killed.Thats hard to justify.
And the whole thing about his last crew...are we suppose to care?

A man who would have betrayed him at every turn to save himself, though. Mudd simply couldn't be trusted. Nonetheless, I think leaving him behind makes it clear we're supposed to be a little unsettled by Lorca. He's bereft of the morals and goodwill we usually associate with someone in his position on this show. All the better to create some drama and conflict.

Plus, they could only seat two in the LEXX fighter ship...! (Tyler actually says that to Mudd as they're leaving: "This was always a two-man job!" I assume in reference to the fighters being two-seaters.)

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Smith

How the hell did he know he was going to find a two-seater during his escape? :|
You ninjad that while I was writing.Yeah,not buying that either.

Goaty

blackmocco

Quote from: Smith on 18 October, 2017, 07:50:20 PM
How the hell did he know he was going to find a two-seater during his escape? :|

Indeed. I have a feeling Tyler isn't exactly who he says he is. Could be wrong, though.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Smith

Quote from: blackmocco on 18 October, 2017, 07:51:41 PM
Quote from: Smith on 18 October, 2017, 07:50:20 PM

Indeed. I have a feeling Tyler isn't exactly who he says he is.
You dont say? :)

The Legendary Shark

The captains we're familiar with would have put Mudd and Whatsisname on the two-man fighter and stayed behind (except that Whatsisname would have been killed before launching so the captain would have escaped anyway). Also, Lorca killing his entire previous crew and surviving seems unlikely as well. How would an officer who did that remain a captain in Starfleet? That just leaves a bad taste.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Paging ABCWarbot... ABCWarbot to the homophobia subthread...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.