Mechanismo

Started by Robin Low, 15 October, 2009, 09:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Not a fan of Shakara, then?
  ;)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 July, 2010, 07:32:39 PM

And, just as with spices, in the right hands a combination can lead to exponential improvement - but in the wrong hands you might end up with something that isn't as good as you expect.

Shakara was in good hands.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

I can't be arsed with zombies.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 July, 2010, 08:02:42 PM
I can't be arsed with zombies.

You, sir, are a cad and a buffoon. But worst of all an embarrassment. To yourself, to your parents and to comics.
Lock up your spoons!

SmallBlueThing

Dr x, you are sorely wrong in regard to spiders. Take, for instance, underrated classic, 'Spiders 2'. What started off as obviously a film intended to be about boats and smuggling, or something, was suddenly turned around when (i assume having read an internet post of mine) the producers suddenly decide partway through the narrative that one of the boats is full of giant spiders. Result? Bliss.
This also works if you substitute a plane for a boat, and killer goths for spiders. Cf) turbulance 3. Or killer bees hed back by a sheet in that one with craig (nightbreed) sheffer and rutger hauer.
My phone wants suggests 'rubbish hair' in place of rutger hauer there. [sporfles]
SBT

locustsofdeath!

Don't forget Evil Wizards or Mad Scientists. Often, you can't have Zombies, Nubile Slave Girls, Big Stompy Robots, Oversized Gorillas and all else without an Evil Wizard or Mad Scientist.

Jared Katooie

The (unsorted) list of things which improve a story is as follows:

1)Vampires
2)Nazis
3)Zombies
4)Ghosts
5)Cyborgs
6)Werewolves
7)Demons
8)Robots
9)Aliens
10)Explosions
11)Mad scientists
12)Mutants
13)Guns
14)Giant monsters
15)Gratuitous violence
16)Giant robots
17)Apes
18)Acid
19)Giant insects
20)Dinosaurs
21)Ninjas
22)Pirates
23)Martial arts
24)Swords
25)Lasers
26)Evil masterminds

There are others too, but those are the main ones.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I agree with you all.

Alls I'm saying is:

1) Zombies
2) Aliens
3) Explosions

There's room for spiders and demons and nubile slave and lasers and flying pirhanas and all that. Just not in the top three. Just as there are many spices, so the things that make a film better are manifold.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

I was rereading this collection the other night and something occured to me. Is the word Mechanismo supposed to be some sort of play on machismo? It seems a bit of a stretch, but there are a couple of really awkward lines of dialogue in the first story that only make sense if that's the intent.

Also, I still can't be arsed with zombies.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 April, 2011, 12:35:59 PM
I was rereading this collection the other night and something occured to me. Is the word Mechanismo supposed to be some sort of play on machismo?

Yup. "Call it - if you like - mechanismo."

radiator

Yeah, mechismo would be a better play on words.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 April, 2011, 12:40:49 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 16 April, 2011, 12:35:59 PM
I was rereading this collection the other night and something occured to me. Is the word Mechanismo supposed to be some sort of play on machismo?
Yup. "Call it - if you like - mechanismo."
Yeah, that's one of them. Don't know why I never got it before. It makes sense written down but the two words don't sound similar enough. Well, not the way I pronounce them.
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Re-read the first Mechanismo in Casefiles 18 on the bus home last night [spoiler](sans eldster glee club)[/spoiler] & what a cracker it is.

Anyone else notice that when the Mechanismos malfunctioned they all turn into Millar's Dredd? Priceless.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Cpt Rhodes

There is a nice, loose more energetic quality to Colin MacNeils style In that first Mechanismo series compared to his previous work on other strips. Something that just looks better and better as the years go by. The addition of the Saint Peter Root statue in the plaza, (a late great character in the Scottish comics business) was a nice touch. Pete Doherty's cover for Mechanismo in the Dredd Megazine 25, was one of my favourite covers of that year.

I actually enjoyed these initial runs of the Mechanismo strips better than the eventual Wilderlands conclusion.
Maybe that's a bit back to front on general opinion but there you go.