Main Menu

Judge Dredd - Year One: IDW #1 'All the young juves, carry the news'

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 20 March, 2013, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

So the 'joke' is that Judge Dredd likes My Little Pony stickers, which is supposed to be funny because Judge Dredd would NEVER like My Little Pony because hes a big tough man!!! Thought I was missing something, but nope: that's it.

I'm not one of those people who would just defensively kick off against any mockery of Dredd, but that just isn't funny or clever on any level.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2013, 10:40:53 AM
Quote from: radiator on 22 March, 2013, 10:35:05 AM
I don't get it.
I read the writer's quite lengthy explanation underneath the page, and I still didn't get it.
Seems fairly straightforward to me. It's based on the assumption that a story called "Year One" will be, at least in part, about how the character we know today got the way he is, i.e. Dredd wasn't always the hard case he is now, and adds a jibe about IDW's fondness for crossovers between their licensed properties.

You could even pretend it was an oblique reference to Mean Machine's origin.

Whether it's funny or not is different.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheldipez

You guys would totally buy a My Little Pony / Dredd crossover.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2013, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 March, 2013, 11:05:19 AM
I found it quite amusing...

I'd expect no less from a lesbian muslim terrorist.

Cheers!

Jim

That's LEFT WING lesbian Muslim terrorist to you, sir!

a chosen rider

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 March, 2013, 09:22:27 AM

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 March, 2013, 09:19:01 AM
A sneak peek ... or maybe not

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/394-craig-rousseau

I was waiting for the jokes, they never came.

Oh, Gutters.  That webcomic honestly genuinely fascinates me for how the jokes aren't so much bad or unfunny as consistently missing some fundamental aspect of how to structure comedy.  The strips remind me of the joke-shaped things that kids make up when they've mastered the call-and-response structure of things like knock-knock jokes but not fully grasped how punchlines work.  If you go back through the archives it's all this kind of not-quite-executed humour paired with generally very high art standards, and I find it all quite surreal.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

radiator

QuoteThe strips remind me of the joke-shaped things that kids make up when they've mastered the call-and-response structure of things like knock-knock jokes but not fully grasped how punchlines work.

Heh - that's exactly what it reminds me of. I'm no writer or comedian, but I could easily write something funnier than this with 5 minutes of effort.

What's the whole 'Linda' thing about? Dredd is asking to be called Linda, is that it? It's so amateurishly written.

So how does this guy manage to convince decent artists to draw them up? Presumably thins thing has an audience?

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 22 March, 2013, 12:26:09 PM
I could easily write something funnier than this with 5 minutes of effort.

On you go then...

Personally I like Gutters, and I've enjoyed this excuse to track back through the dozens I'bve missed since last time I looked. The Dredd one made me chuckle, if not quite guffaw.

Satanist

Just pulling this out my arse but for Dredd year one I would have him as a baby calling for backup to change his shitty nappy before bobo & bedtime. I'd also have Buttonman on art duties.

Pfft and people actually get paid for this crap?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

James Stacey

He would be 5 in year one so a little past that. But yeah, there's no reason why we shouldnt get Buttman to do this.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 March, 2013, 02:18:22 PM
He would be 5 in year one so a little past that. But yeah, there's no reason why we shouldnt get Buttman to do this.
Is this his officialy designation now or are we faced with an 'American Indian' situation?

Gotta say, with all the good word of mouth i'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

Dark Jimbo

How many issues is this 'un going to be? May wait for the collected trade instead.
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

Spikes

And my copy arrived today - with a very splendid looking Carlos cover,  :thumbsup:

Even a cursory glance through the pages (saving this for later tonight) reveals this indeed looks the business.