Main Menu

Judge Dredd - Year One: IDW #1 'All the young juves, carry the news'

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 20 March, 2013, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

The Adventurer

QuoteA sneak peek ... or maybe not

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/394-craig-rousseau

Notice how Ryan Sohmer equates weakness with feminine aspects. Such as taking feminine name, and being a fan of a show geared toward young girls.

Sohmer is pretty much a perfect example of a chauvinistic, racist, douche. Everything he does just oozes smug superiority and lack of respect for anyone who is not like him. He often uses his Gutters comic to insult those who fight for creator rights, or try to bring attention to social causes in comics. He doesn't even do it for laughs, this is just him projecting his world view.

The guy is a grade A asshole.

And the worst part is, people eat up his garbage like its gospel.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

a chosen rider

Just read this - great stuff.  Very 2000AD vibe, not surprisingly.  Not much of a focus on young Dredd yet, but I'm looking forward to the rest of the mini.  Glad to hear it's apparently selling well on ComiXology.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 March, 2013, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: radiator on 22 March, 2013, 12:26:09 PM
I could easily write something funnier than this with 5 minutes of effort.

On you go then...

12 hours and counting ... Radiator' s "Funnier Dredd Joke" that takes "Five minutes" is still to appear....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 March, 2013, 11:30:26 PM
12 hours and counting ... Radiator' s "Funnier Dredd Joke" that takes "Five minutes" is still to appear....

Maybe he died laughing.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 March, 2013, 11:50:59 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 March, 2013, 11:30:26 PM

Maybe he died laughing.

My money's on a pun. A classic three or four panel gag strip with a final frame where someone delivers a groan-worthy punchline like you look DREDDful!, or Megacity WON!, or he's been CUBED! Radiator could achieve the Gutters strip's apparent aim of infantilising Dredd for comic purposes more effectively, and create a clever double parody, by drawing his effort in the style of stories with juvenile characters, such as Calvin & Hobbes or Charlie Brown. Any of which would have tickled the ribs more effectively than that Gutters effort. I'll take your word, Dan, that the rest of the guy's stuff would have me prolapsing with mirth, but that page had the quiet desperation and aimlessness of a Comic Relief sketch.

Parody is always funnier when the author is intimately acquainted with the subject matter. The reason Airplane is so packed with gags is because the Zuckers watched the original Airport (1970) on a loop until every scene and individual line became funny and ripe for sending up, and I'm not sure Monty Python would have been able to rip the pish out of The New Testament so effectively if they hadn't been force-fed Christianity since birth. As the author admits (i), he doesn't know much about Dredd except that he's supposed to be a real tough guy, like The Punisher and Doctor Doom (?!), and you can imagine that this is exactly the kind of gag strip he would have/has written for either of those characters.

The reason the strip doesn't really work is because it's so general and doesn't express the kind of essential truth about the subject matter which Nigel Tufnel's line about his amp going up to eleven did regarding metal, and it doesn't seem like the author's aware how important humour is to the Dredd strip or the extent to which it's already parodic and satirical. I initially thought the gag was based on the fact that Year One featured a much younger version of Dredd, which would have been a more fertile and less well-ploughed furrow - the strip's already harvested the comic potential from a crop of gags undermining the hard man aspect of the character, which have seen Dredd kissed by men (and robot men), singing camp parodies, and placed in socially awkward situations.

(i) The point, and how to miss it:

QuotePunisher. Doctor Doom. Judge Dredd. While I can't claim to be totally up on all things Dredd, one of my favourite things in the world is when really tough, earnest characters... love ponies.

People often complain about "too many origin stories" in comics. Personally, if it's done right and provides relavent (sic) information to the character, then I'm all for it. The details of our favourite characters are ever-changing, it's when the core of them is messed with too much that outrage ensues (and most times, deservedly so).

Will Judge Dredd: Year One have the excitement around it that, say, Batman: Zero Year does? Probably not. But, you know damn well IDW are already trying to figure out a way to make that My Little Pony/Dredd crossover work.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: James Stacey on 21 March, 2013, 09:10:00 AM
cracking read and feels totally in canon with 2000ad's Dredd, which this one essentially is. Didn't spot any of the anachronistic errors of the novella either (like Umpty being illegal 20 years before it's made illegal - I look for these things as I'm a pedant :) )
Two thumbs up. It would be 4 thumbs up if I were neptunian.

You can borrow both my thumbs by way of thanks for the copy you dropped in my door the other day. Thanks very much mate - it was a cracking bedtime read last night!

Dr Feeley Good

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Spikes

Now were talking! A story that ticks along nicely and some cracking art by Coleby,  :thumbsup:

(And thats a brilliant cover that King Carlos has supplied for this variant - his Stronty work in recent issues of the prog has looked very stripped down, but the stuff he's supplied for IDW, and his commission pieces on show over on FB look great, and are far more detailed. Definite hints of his older style in these, as well.)

All in all a great issue, that feels pretty spot on. And nice to see a bit of Lawrod action!

Maybe the main Dredd IDW series should have started like this? A clean start, and all that.

vzzbux

Some of you mentioned a my little pony Dredd. Wishes come true.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

COMMANDO FORCES

James Stacey