Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

All fanbases look like that from the outside - but I think actual change is really what's needed and what I'm personally craving - and really it's difficult to extend a 'fresh start' grace period to a show which began its new era with the exact same inconsistent show-runner, one- dimensional companion and heavy-handed and overused side characters as before.

Having said that though I do think last night was a strong start and said inconsistent showrunner did a solid job of instantly giving nothingy Clara a bit more weight, the tone was a lot darker and Capaldi is a fantastic Doctor. The real proof will be in the long pudding though and I'll see it all and judge each and every new episode WITH EVER-INCREASING LEVELS OF SERIOUSNESS. :think:

shaolin_monkey

If they don't have Daleks, crossness, shouty technobabble, and tartan miniskirts in the coming episodes I will write a letter of complaint.

Zarjazzer

I enjoyed it some smallish weaker moments, the bit with the tramp going on far too long IMHO, but overall a good start and Capaldi looks like a great doctor, love some of the steam-punkish elements like the organ legging robot guy.

Fun and I'll be watching next week and we'll see how it goes.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 24 August, 2014, 02:48:12 PM
I enjoyed it some smallish weaker moments, the bit with the tramp going on far too long IMHO

I think that was in part because the trampchap is the widow of the late great Lis Sladen...

Colin YNWA

Erm hold on, even if something was aimed at children its still entirely open to critical evaluation, both good and bad. Dismissing evaluation of kiddies telly is akin to saying it doesn't matter if children's entertainment is good or bad?

If that's what anyone is saying, which I'm not sure anyone is exactly, but if they were that'd get me heckles up...

It should be done in context of course.

Trout

Nobody's saying that it's wrong to offer an opinion. Just, for me, the detailed criticism of how television is made tends to suggest expert knowledge from some of you. Knowing you don't have expert knowledge undermines your opinion. But I also know you're mostly good people (except Owen, who eats living puppies) so I don't want to start a fight.

Also, the vitriol isn't quite so bad as it was during the RTD era. Take a look back at those threads. So much hatred. I never understood why so many people put themselves through watching a TV show that made them feel so bad. Just turn it off.

It's interesting to me that I was never that into Doctor Who before the Eccleston launch. But now I love it, and I love Old Who the most. Like it or not, this show has been an astonishing worldwide success and that continues.
Yay!

Grugz

enjoyed capaldi very much ,glad the whole young flirty boyfriend thing is dead but saying that loved [spoiler]matt's cameo reminding clara it was him under all the wrinkles[/spoiler] as she was ready to dump him but then loved the bit when doc dumped her and seemingly left her to die .

clockwork man jumped or pushed?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Trout on 24 August, 2014, 03:45:20 PM
But I also know you're mostly good people (except Owen, who eats living puppies) so I don't want to start a fight.

used to eat living puppies - that was before I got a solid quality control person in - now my puppies are most rigorously tested and assuredly dead before they enter my slavering maw.

Steve Green

I'm not sure why they made that big a deal of it, the 11th Doc effectively shoved the Sycorax leader to his death in his regeneration episode.

The Family of Blood punishment was pretty theatrical from what I recall.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I found Deep Breath pretty disappointing, tbh.

New Who has been a mixed bag from the off, with many, many dreadful episodes, interspersed with some good ones (which is why I haven't stopped watching).

Then Day of the Doctor was genuinely wonderful. I found myself hoping it would be the start of a new era, but it seems that level of quality is basically impossible to maintain and now we've gone back to the same old RTD template, produced on a shoestring, that was holding the programme back before.

Capaldi was wonderful in Deep Breath, of course. David Tennant and Matt Smith were both consistently wonderful as well. It is very much to be hoped that one day the writers will reach the same level, and that the BBC will actually start ploughing some of the large amount of cash they make from Who back into the show.

Jim_Campbell

Shut yer stinkin' bear mouth.

Motherfucker.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I enjoyed it - I thought the quieter parts with Clara and the Doctor and the Doctor and the homeless guy worked really well, the whole cafe scene and subsequent scenes below were great.

The fight with the androids and the Paternoster lot didn't really work for me, but good fun overall, enjoyed the cameo too.

[spoiler]I thought the villain was going to be disposed of in a 'beast with 5 fingers way', I was waiting for the hand to do something, as it was hanging around his shoulder.[/spoiler]

Trout

Shoestring? Look at some of the old stuff. The budget for New Who is phenomenal!

CrazyFoxMachine

The sets used to be wobbly - now it's just the scripts!!

*I'll leave it alone now*

JudgeGerry

I enjoyed last knights episode  :D