Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

It means that government power (as in the right to wield powers the rest of us do not possess) is illusory and unlawful and exists only as an article of faith. Have leaders, sure, but not leaders who force people to do as they say.

Remove that illusory power, or more specifically the public's belief in that power, and it won't matter if a dick gets elected because his/her orders can be simply ignored.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Putting words in the mouth of the Shark (sounds risky, I'll use a pole...(but not a poll)), I presume it refers to the idea of not giving people power in the first place: the only power should be that vested innately in the individual person.  I also presume he's not thinking that that person is likely to be the Lord Humungous or Immortan Joe, whereas I'd rather assume it would be.  Aunty Entity at best.

EDIT: Bah, gazumped.

The Legendary Shark

Nicely put, Tordels.

Mad Max is quite a good example of this. He refuses to be intimidated into joining either side and joins the society of his choice for as long as it suits him and then goes his own way. The majority of the characters around him are bound to certain leaders through force but Max gives his allegiance on his own terms, following or leading as the situation requires.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Sharkey's political views have frequently caused consternation in these parts but I can't help wondering if at present we aren't seeing concrete evidence of the validity of his views.  Trump in the states and the Tories in the UK are co-opting discontent for their own ends.  People have legitimate complaints and concerns yet what we are seeing are 'solutions' that potentially are likely to make situations worse for complainants. 

Personally I'm torn.  On the one hand I see a legitimate need for social action in support of those who struggle to meet the challenges that they face but on the other hand the rationale behind the support they provide is often questionable or contested.  I question whether I have the right to intervene where I see need but at the same time I also worry about the consequences if I fail to do so.  I see a need for some sort of socially responsible framework of support but I worry about the political imperatives that drive it.  Do I have the right to impose my priorities on those around me?  Am I complicit if I fail to act in support of legitimate need?

What we seem to be seeing at the moment though is certain groups tapping into this confusion.  There is an argument that governments are over-reaching rather than a sensible debate about social and political organisation.  Brexit has been cast as 'taking back control' when it is becoming increasingly apparent that it is more a case of consolidating control from some quarters.  Cross-juristidictional governance is about compromise and acceptance.  there may well be a cost implication but the bigger question is how does that stack up against the benefits?  If 'governments' are too concerned with a narrow constituency then how valid is their mandate?

JayzusB.Christ

I'm kind of pleased to see such a pitiful turnout for the Pope's visit to Ireland.  People aren't listening any more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Not even 5% of the 1979 turnout - and our population is 25-30% higher than it was then. Ed fecking Sheeran managed 20,000 more at the same venue just a few months back.  What this really does is highlight the age profile of the remaining papal enthusiasts - all our friends went with their families to the Park to see JPII, those kids are in the 40-55 bracket, and they should have been well able for the 5km hike and the weather. But they didn't show. Coming after two referendums (and especially the last one), I think that's actually, finally, the end of that. I wonder how many no-shows Catherine Corliss can claim credit for.

And while it's hard to forgive Leo his other failings, I can't fault him for giving the Pope a public dressing down.  Never in my life did I expect to see a Taoiseach have the balls.

The Legendary Shark

What use is a Pope in a world where Money, Power and Control are the Holy Trinity worshipped by virtually everyone?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2018, 09:44:11 PM
What use is a Pope in a world where Money, Power and Control are the Holy Trinity worshipped by virtually everyone?

The pope is the head of an organization that specializes in money, power and control. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

I'm not sure it's an achievement that numbers were higher for the pope that covered up for child rapists and said suicides, gays and unbaptised babies would burn in Hell.  Given a choice, I'd rather people turned up in larger numbers for and actually listened to a Pope that begged the forgiveness of the church's victims, but clearly this is where me and all the other taigs have a difference of opinion.

JOE SOAP

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2018, 09:44:11 PM

Ah, come on, Sharky, all I was saying was that I was glad the Vatican don't have control over my country any more. Not every conversation has to get back to your anti-state agenda, unless you actually believe being ruled by an abusive body of organised superstition is preferable?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

PS I know, I know, the state is abusive and exists because of collective belief too. But just right now I'm not talking about the state.

Professor Bear

Still struggling to see how it's a good thing that the Irish liked the Pope that was an actual literal Nazi more than this one.

JayzusB.Christ

I don't particularly like any of them, personally. They can all take their bone-rattling, boy's-club, repressed twaddle and fuck off forever.

JOE SOAP

Before the actions of the Church –with the complicity of the State– were revealed to the masses long after 1979, most Irish people hadn't a clue who the Pope really was, or what he really did, other than being a figurehead who rode around in a car that looked like it was in Wacky Races.

Irish people nowadays don't like 'the Church' – doesn't matter who was, or who is, in charge.