Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

A lot of the cars outside are crawling by their wheels spinning in the snow. It's spookily quiet too with very little noise, and somehow that's unnerving for me! 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Just heard that our local Lidl (closed since yesterday morning) has been looted, so it's not all fun and games!

No laughing now, Trout I'm looking at you, but here's some pics of unprecedented suburban snowiness. 

Our estate:

Our national road, the N82:

Hawkmumbler

Well here in Bolton we where just on the outskirts of todays blast, but 50MPH winds where the norm and the blizzards the last few days...christ.

It's been a great time for me to catch up on cosplay projects though, and get some comics read!

Also i'm told that it's snowed in Guernsey, much to the delight of my family, for the first time in 30 year!

The Legendary Shark

Tordels, you're a bloody poet.

It's just cold and windy here. A light fall of snow on the first day's been it, so far. That fall's mostly gone now, except for a few stubborn bones, probably be turning to ankle-snapping ice sculptures before long.

Speaking of, we discovered a small "ice tree" under one of the caravans. A small, four or five inch high tree of ice with a trunk and branches going off in all directions. A proper, three dimensional tree shape made entirely of clear ice. It was beautiful, a natural wonder, and I can only think that it was caused by the slow accumulation of ice around a spider's web. Any other explanation would need to rely on either magic or quantum physics - or both.

Beauty in the Beast.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trout

YOU CAN'T SEE ME SO YOU DON'T KNOW IF I AM LAUGHING

Tjm86

I walked over to my in laws this morning.  It was a weird experience.  One moment you were up to your ankles in snow, the next the pavement was clear.  The few cars that were out were mainly 4x4's and  moving slowly.

The winds have seriously shifted the snow.  I dug out our drive this morning (we live on top of a hill and have a really steep drive) and by this afternoon it was completely covered again.  Part of that was windblow, part was fresh falling snow.  Fun times but not the first time we've had it this late in the year.

TordelBack

So now I'm watching video of feckers destroying the looted Lidl with a stolen digger,  and the shutters of our local Centra shop have been angle-grinder-ed and it's being looted too. Cops can't get to us/too busy elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/rogieop/status/969675001795358721?s=17

Still,  should keep my property tax down,  I suppose.

You Nordy boarders better hope that border is a hard one after all.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 March, 2018, 09:05:44 PM
So now I'm watching video of feckers destroying the looted Lidl with a stolen digger,  and the shutters of our local Centra shop have been angle-grinder-ed and it's being looted too. Cops can't get to us/too busy elsewhere.

Saw this footage last night.  For once I'm going to stop being a libtard snowflake and say that I hope these scumbags get stamped on by the law, and taken off the streets for a long time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 March, 2018, 10:13:42 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 02 March, 2018, 09:05:44 PM

Saw this footage last night.  For once I'm going to stop being a libtard snowflake and say that I hope these scumbags get stamped on by the law, and taken off the streets for a long time.

Couldn't they have waited till it opened like the rest of us? No, its probably professional crooks calculating rightly the Emergency services are to busy with the storm to attend to any skullduggery. Keep safe folks. The Roads are now passable in my part of Blighty land and I might venture out this afternoon.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

I dunno, I think a professional crook would know you can't break a safe with a digger bucket - you need to lift it as high as you can and drop it a lot (comes up a surprising amount in site clearance work).  The looting started sometime before 1730 (and people were on to the Guards about it immediately), the demolition didn't start until maybe 2030, so it looks like pure maggoty opportunism based on a complete lack of police response - the digger (and dumper) was stolen from a compound right beside the shop (the smashed-out gates are an impressive sight). 

The Lidl is a 30 minute walk from the nearest cop shop, and it was a full 12 hours after the worst of the storm, so lack of access is no excuse.

Look, it's a complete disgrace for all concerned, but what probably annoys me more is the utter bile being poured on Tallaght and Jobstown (even though the Lidl isn't actually in either), as if all 100,000 of us were some kind of sub-human out here: it was our bloody shop that was destroyed! 

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2018, 11:25:51 AM
I dunno, I think a professional crook would know you can't break a safe with a digger bucket - you need to lift it as high as you can and drop it a lot (comes up a surprising amount in site clearance work).

A likely story, Sonny Jim.

Seriously though, I saw this footage after walking through the snow with my friend, all the time nodding and smiling at strangers (not the norm in Dublin) and helping push a stuck van out of the snow. We were just discussing how nice it was to see people pulling together in a crisis. So the whole looting thing was hugely disappointing; and I felt my faith in humanity drain just a little bit.  There are Negans out there, and they will take power while others are trying to work together.  Hell, there's one running the world right now.

I suppose it's always worth remembering, though, that there are a million unreported stories of kindness and co-operation for every newsworthy one of bastardy.

Also, I'd been saving my Neil Gaiman audiobook of Norse legends for the appropriate wintry, fireside atmosphere.  I'm enjoying it immensely.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Yeah,  the snow has been a blast, we've had great fun pushing cars and shovelling for each other, sharing sleds and exchanging tips on what shops might be open when. Dug, pushed and eventually drove a car for a nurse this morning who had been stuck at work for 2 days.  That hasnt stopped (and nor has the snow - no way for cars in or out of this estate at all now). But then you hear that 10 snow-abandoned cars were burnt out on Fortunestown Lane last night and you just wonder where it all goes wrong.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2018, 12:10:42 PMBut then you hear that 10 snow-abandoned cars were burnt out on Fortunestown Lane last night and you just wonder where it all goes wrong.

Aw, that's fucking appalling, it truly is. This is why I live in a houseboat community well outside the city these days.  I spent years living round the corner from Fatima Mansions (one of Dublin's absolute roughest spots) and just got sick of its shit.

Not that I'm in my boat now, mind you - I'm really, really not equipped to deal with this chaos.  A friend has shown me a true act of mid-crisis kindness and put me up in his spare room till we're out of the wintry woods.

Trout

I hope you're all staying safe and warm in wintry Europe. I was smirking a bit at first, but not for long because I know a major snowfall is a challenge with real human consequences.

I know that, when this isn't routine, communities just aren't ready for it. It's different in Canada, where we all have the necessary gear and know what to do. I've been impressed by the positivity over there that I've been reading about during these last few days.

Our snow is melting a bit but there's more due on Tuesday. Ah well.

- Trout

darnmarr

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2018, 11:25:51 AM

...Look, it's a complete disgrace for all concerned, but what probably annoys me more is the utter bile being poured on Tallaght and Jobstown (even though the Lidl isn't actually in either), as if all 100,000 of us were some kind of sub-human out here: it was our bloody shop that was destroyed! 
I'm not Tallaghfornian (being a Donaghmeejit myself) but nonetheless...
^this^
Also, as I'm sure you are aware, there are some on this island who are going to seize any opportunity to denigrate every single one of the denizens of Jobstown, from now into perpetuity, for political reasons. Heartbreaking to see a few loo-lahs just hand this type of fodder to them...
to loot LIDL of all places*.

*Full disclosure: my own ancestors did loot in 1916... but we got a cast-iron bed from BROWN THOMAS #classyhistoricallooting