Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary James

Quote from: Woolly on 01 February, 2020, 08:20:22 PM
Just to ask, but are squished corners really such a problem?
There's no correct answer to that - each to their own. You know that Denis Gifford had stored old (and unimaginable elusive) comics in his oven, right? Hell, I've got comics stashed in precariously balanced towers of cardboard boxes without being individually bagged (mostly as doing so would likely bankrupt me), so a few dents and creases aren't anything to lose sleep over. Even crosswords that have been filled in by a previous owner don't deter me, but others might (and probably will) disagree vehemently.

However, if you intend to sell them on later, then yes - they really ought to be in pristine condition.

moogie101

Quote from: Woolly on 01 February, 2020, 08:20:22 PM
Just received the most recent delivery for me (Slaine and Stront - no idea how behind I am!) and they were in the recyclable bag. *Slight* corner damage, but nothing I care about.

Just to ask, but are squished corners really such a problem? If you're planning to re-sell them then definately, but for the completionist who will never sell them (myself *cough*) is it really such a big deal?

Sorry if this seems a bit blase, I'm just curious as to others feelings on this....

Never complained about squished corners as many of mine have come like that, but my copy of 61 is smashed up at the top to the point that the front & back are coming away, so I've understandably asked for a replacement.

IndigoPrime

Are they a problem? Technically, no. Even when the corners are smashed to the point pages are dented, the book remains usable and readable. But you are buying a product that you expect to arrive in as-new condition. Would you be fine with other non-consumable products arriving with damage, such as clothes?

I don't ask for replacements every time, but my latest two books have corner damage and dents across the top. Also, companies only learn when confronted with complaints. Books like this should never be mailed without at least some protection.

Robes

Finally received some issues after about half a year!  54 and 55, plus an email today specifically about customers in Ireland experiencing delays. 

Rately

Finally got to sit down and open the dreadful black plastic bag.

One of the books was unscathed, but the other one has two horrible dents in it, near the top of the front cover. Noticeable, and, as applies to most collectors, it makes me wince when I now look at the book.

In two minds as to whether I can be arsed with wasting  more hours and minutes of my life trying to source the replacement.

Jade Falcon

Well the fact is, you're paying full RRP for it, if you saw one in a bookshop or even a charity shop you'd expect it cheaper in that condition.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Whilst Book Of Invasions is a huge improvement on where Slaine had got to over the previous couple of books it's still not quite back to top form. Until we get to Tara and the Earth Goddess appears the female characters all mostly seem to exist so that the male leads can save them or avenge them.  Maybe this hasn't aged well and it didn't come across quite so meh at the time but compared to the pro-feminist narrative of Horned God this feels somewhat regressive.

The art is bloody amazing though. The Fomorians look horrific and the battles are epic. As eye candy goes it's got it all, including a plentiful supply of T&A.

Super Mario

There's soooo much Slaine, it's far from being a breezy read as well. I dunno when I'll actually catch up.

dossa1uk

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I've started a conversation with the head of the customer service company that Hachette has outsourced to.  I've spelled out all of the various issues that subscribers are dealing with, to the best of my knowledge, in the hope that either they deal with them themselves, or better yet, pass me onto someone at Hachette, and I can try and talk to them there.  There are loads of problems, obviously, but for me, the main one has been the poor communication of issues.  When people are left in the dark, then they are left to get understandably frustrated.  This new CS firm is a good step forward, so hopefully things may well improve. 

Hope springs eternal for this naive fool...

Will report back.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 05 February, 2020, 01:42:22 PM
Whilst Book Of Invasions is a huge improvement on where Slaine had got to over the previous couple of books it's still not quite back to top form. Until we get to Tara and the Earth Goddess appears the female characters all mostly seem to exist so that the male leads can save them or avenge them.  Maybe this hasn't aged well and it didn't come across quite so meh at the time but compared to the pro-feminist narrative of Horned God this feels somewhat regressive.

Which BoI volume is that? The first? What stories does it actually contain...?
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 February, 2020, 09:13:50 AM
Which BoI volume is that? The first? What stories does it actually contain...?

It is BoI vol 1; it contains: Moloch, Golamh, Scota, Tara

bernardsfingers

I've seen lots of people complaining about not getting any response to messages but I sent a message via FB messenger on Saturday (1st Feb) about one of the books in latest delivery being damaged (due to being delivered in a plastic bag) & received a reply on Wednesday (5th Feb) to say they're arranging a replacement. Whether a replacement actually arrives is another thing but I've found them to be generally fine the 5 or so times I've needed to contact them.

sintec

Dante just goes from strength to strength as the pirate arc concludes and Dante returns to the political arena. Lovely mix of humour and tragedy across some of the shorter stories in the volume whilst the longer tales worked at pushing the larger story forwards. Can't wait for the next one, looks like it was due in April no idea what that means for subscribers now.

moly

The Monarch

oh to not know where dante goes [spoiler]so i can be surprised by the turn it takes all over again [/spoiler]:lol: