Main Menu

Why you should'nt be so "comicy" about the new film

Started by mogzilla, 01 August, 2011, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Quote from: Krombasher on 07 August, 2011, 07:14:39 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 07 August, 2011, 07:10:05 PM
Death is Naff..great for comics but aside from 2000ad fans I reckon the cinema audience would find him ridiculous

Plenty of decent Dredd stories

The Day The Law died would be brilliant

That's basically the plot surrounding Stallone's Dredd, Beeks, you ninny.

Yeah but I'm talking about Judge Cal in all his camp splendour..I even know who can play Cal

Owen Wilson!!

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

Quote from: Beeks on 07 August, 2011, 07:22:30 PM
Yeah but I'm talking about Judge Cal in all his camp splendour..I even know who can play Cal

Pat Mills.

Or John Hurt, at a pinch.  I'm sure he misses that curly wig. 

Beeks

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2011, 07:28:25 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 07 August, 2011, 07:22:30 PM

Pat Mills.

Or John Hurt, at a pinch.  I'm sure he misses that curly wig. 

My impression of Cal was always that he wasn't that old though?
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

TordelBack

Ah sure it's amazing what they can do with lighting these days.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2011, 05:08:21 PM
....Urrrgh, just realised that Spence is in fact another New Zealander.  So much for that theory.

. . . Academic as it is, I do feel compelled to mention yer man Spence first appeared in the second MAD MAX movie.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mardroid

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 07 August, 2011, 09:34:55 PM
. . . Academic as it is, I do feel compelled to mention yer man Spence first appeared in the second MAD MAX movie.

Now you mention it, I think I remember him! The 'flying man', right? The bloke with the do-it-yourself helicopter.

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2011, 05:08:21 PM
....Urrrgh, just realised that Spence is in fact another New Zealander.  So much for that theory.

True, and had there been an edit function after I hit 'post' I would have corrected myself - but even I shy from a triple post.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mardroid on 07 August, 2011, 10:10:48 PM

Now you mention it, I think I remember him! The 'flying man', right? The bloke with the do-it-yourself helicopter.

The Gyro Captain, that's the fella. By THUNDERDOME, he's found some Colgate and now has a name: 'Jedediah', if the end credits are to be believed. Despite the gnashers and the pith helmet, however, Max still recognizes him:

"You!"

Goaty

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 07 August, 2011, 11:12:44 PM
The Gyro Captain, that's the fella. By THUNDERDOME, he's found some Colgate and now has a name: 'Jedediah', if the end credits are to be believed. Despite the gnashers and the pith helmet, however, Max still recognizes him:

"You!"

Cos he stole Mad Max's car at start of third film!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Goaty on 07 August, 2011, 11:17:39 PM

"You!"

Been a while since I last saw THUNDERDOME but Gibson's intonation (as I remember it) isn't just accusatory, it's one of sudden recognition.

MarsHottentot

Quote from: Krombasher on 07 August, 2011, 08:20:46 PM
David Tennant in the same wig. Problem solved.

Oh, I like that!

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 07 August, 2011, 11:31:32 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 07 August, 2011, 11:17:39 PM

"You!"

Been a while since I last saw THUNDERDOME but Gibson's intonation (as I remember it) isn't just accusatory, it's one of sudden recognition.

Definitely.  And IMDB lists him as "Jedediah the Pilot", just to make it clear.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

Beaky Smoochies

The trouble with having an actor just play Judge Death in physical make-up and costume is that he'll look just that- an actor in make-up and costume!  Death should be something inhuman and genuinely terrifying, not to mention actually pose a real threat to and be a worthy opponent to Dredd and the justice system, which is why I believe he should be a CG creation, so people will have no doubt he's not just a man in a suit.  Whoever it was that expressed reservation about CGI (sorry I can't remember), take a look at District 9- amazingly realistic computer-generated aliens on a budget.

Another question though, how would you properly adapt Death's iconic costume for a Dredd sequel, I doubt it would be just biker leathers, but then again...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

vzzbux

Sod all these actors I would make a good Death. (In a handsome, beardy way)

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla