Main Menu

Speech balloons - can anyone help?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 23 July, 2009, 03:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 24 July, 2009, 10:54:01 AM
I actually letter my stuff in QuarkXpress.

Does this make me a bad person?

Unusual, but not unheard of, TBH. I periodically letter sample pages in both Quark and InDesign, just in case anybody asks me to.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Quote from: kevlevPhotoshop is good for FX as the 'warp' commands leave the text editable.

As do the warp effects in Illustrator.

M@

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: kevlev on 24 July, 2009, 10:16:57 AM
I think it's worth being able to do some lettering in both programs.

No. No. One thousand fucking times, no.

Sorry, but if you have more than one of line of text to deal with, there is no way you should be doing it in Photoshop. If, as the artist, you want to bung a sound effect into the artwork as part of the digital process, fair play. However, no matter how many text handling features Adobe bungs into Photoshop*, it's not a typesetting programme and really, really, really shouldn't be used as one.

Sorry. Bee. Bonnet. Pet peeve.

Cheers

Jim

* Here's a crazy idea, Adobe ... howsabout you stop shoe-horning text handling features, vector tools, and a half-arsed attempt at a 3D modelling app into your bitmap image editor and concentrate on putting out a release that doesn't crash when I try to use the FUCKING PENCIL TOOL.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 July, 2009, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 July, 2009, 07:51:41 PM
This means it's almost certainly archived onto CD.

Fuck.

Not much point in archiving the fucking thing if you can't find the fucking CD it's on, is there?

If it was online then a touch of internecromancy might help bring something back - do you have the link?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 24 July, 2009, 05:01:53 PM
If it was online then a touch of internecromancy might help bring something back - do you have the link?

I believe it was previously located at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jw.campbell/Index.html

Failing that, I have the old G4 in storage, so I may be able to retrieve it off that, but if it's been indexed and archived somewhere online, so much the better!

Cheers!

Jim

Kev Levell

M@, Hands up on the warp commands, I meant envelope and I now realise you can't do that in Photoshop anyway.

Jim, sorry, I didn't mean to irritate... but I stand by the comment that some text can be done in Photoshop - I wasn't proposing you letter a whole comic that way - just a little bit of cheeky FX and it's worth being able to use the features available to achieve that.

Again, sorry for any irritation caused!

Dog Deever

I've done some small amount of lettering on cd covers, posters and lyrics sheets- I have to do it in photoshop because I don't have any other software.

I really agree with Jim that if it's any more than a line of text in Photoshop it quickly descends into an absolute fucking nightmare.

NOT the same as lettering a strip though (which I know nothing about), but I would imagine similar problems.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 July, 2009, 05:21:21 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 24 July, 2009, 05:01:53 PM

I believe it was previously located at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jw.campbell/Index.html

Sorry I'm getting nothing from Google's cache or the Internet Archive. The best I could manage was this, which only suggests you used frames, something that can put off the archiving robots (I did try the indiivdual frames but got nothing there either):
http://web.archive.org/web/20040529001126/http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jw.campbell/

Someone else might be able to pull it out of the hat but it will prove tricky.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 24 July, 2009, 11:02:52 AM
Like this:-

Wow, Buddy Ump - if my script gets accepted by Back From the Depths, I would love to have you submit to illustrate it! I reall dig your style - my scrotum retracted when I read that page. Hilarious.

Buddy

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 25 July, 2009, 01:37:26 AM
Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 24 July, 2009, 11:02:52 AM
Like this:-

Wow, Buddy Ump - if my script gets accepted by Back From the Depths, I would love to have you submit to illustrate it! I reall dig your style - my scrotum retracted when I read that page. Hilarious.

That would be great except I didn't draw it (or write it).

I letterd it for my mate Malachy Coney (a great writer and artist who is also manager of FPI in Belfast). Mal's had some stuff in Crisis and work published by Fantagraphics.

I really love his art style, it's decepitvely simple and his stories always make me laugh.

I have drawn strips in the past, I'll maybe post some on here some day.

locustsofdeath!

Doh.

Ha, well your lettering was great then!

And I agree, at first glance the art didn't seem to be anything special but as I looked it over I realized how much I liked it.

Bolt-01

Jim- I've no idea if it would be of any use to you, but I've most of the tutorial stuff from your site in a word document... could you strip stuff back out of it or something?

And I agree with photoshop lettering being a flippin' nightmare- I've had to do a bit recently and hated every moment of it. Mind you, I can't draw with Illustrator at all...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 July, 2009, 09:23:40 AM
Jim- I've no idea if it would be of any use to you, but I've most of the tutorial stuff from your site in a word document... could you strip stuff back out of it or something?

The offer is very much appreciated, but, TBH, we're reaching a level of effort where I'd practically be recreating the pages anyway, so I might as well get off my arse and update it at the same time ...

If I can revive my long-unused Dreamweaver skills then it shouldn't take too long.

Cheers!

Jim

vzzbux

I always used CompuPic when I mess around with photo's, easy and straightforward.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: vzzbux on 26 July, 2009, 08:06:17 PM
I always used CompuPic when I mess around with photo's, easy and straightforward.

Hardly suitable for professional-looking typesetting, though, which is what's required for comic book lettering.

Since Freehand is no more, it's basically Illustrator or nowt ...

I've started work on getting that tutorial site updated and online. Sorry it's not happening faster, MGB, but I'm hoping to have the tutorial online at some point this week, now with added pro-grade stuff!

Cheers

Jim