Main Menu

Where Are They Now: Cam Kennedy

Started by Jim_Campbell, 30 November, 2009, 06:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Hi, folks ....

After our recent pondering on what Cam was up to, I took a bit of a stab in the dark at trying to reach him by e-mail and, much to my surprise, received a very nice e-mail back the other night. I know it's incredibly bad form to disclose the contents of a private e-mail, so I've thought long and hard about the best way to approach this.

I don't believe that I'm breaching any netiquette by relaying the following:

Cam is well, and concentrating on illustration and painting work between now and his retirement, which he seems to think will be in the not too distant future. He has no anticipation of doing any further comics work, so I was pleased to be able to relay my thanks to him for thirty years of brilliant artwork.

In light of this, and because I thought that what both Robbie Cox and Mike Molcher did for Massimo Belardinelli and Ron Smith respectively, I thought it would be nice to offer my fellow boarders the same opportunity. I don't have the option of posting or delivering your replies in person, and I don't want Cam to think I'm some kind of stalker, so I'm intending to e-mail him one last time in, say, a fortnight, at which time I'll include any messages that you want to post to this thread. For obvious reasons, if you can keep 'em to a paragraph, it'll be less likely to clog Mr Kennedy's inbox up completely.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Cam, you are a true original.  Able to cope equally well with humour and action, unparallelled draughtsmanship and characterisation - one of the best Dredd artists ever for me, you're up there with Ezquerra - above even Brian Bolland, Mike McMahon, Ron Smith, Henry Flint & Colin McNeill.

Thanks for the entertainment and inspiration thorugh the years.  And nobody ever drew the Millenium Falcon better either.  Enjoy your retirement sir.  You've more than earned it. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

dweezil2

I've loved Cam's work for as long as I can remember. So please extend my gratitude for all the years of pleasure his art has illicited.
I hope he has a happy forthcoming retirement, though I sure will miss his precise, clean lines from 2000ad.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Zarjazzer

Cam Kennedy's pretty much my favourite artist in comic books.Not just 2000AD with all that excellent work on "Rogue Trooper" but other stuff like "The Light and Darkness War" and my fave comic of all time "Boba Fett- Bounty on Bar-Kooda".(written by John Wagner).

I found a book of yours (When the Fat Lady Swings) last night and was jabbering like I was ten years old, utterly lost in the worlds you create with your drawings.

Have a long, restful and happy retirement. You've earned it. All the best.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

El Chivo

Grant Goggans

Cam, many have tried, but nobody, and I mean nobody, captures the bizarre anatomy and poise of a skysurfer as you.  Your depictions of the madness of MC-1, its cityscapes and crazy citizens, have helped define a world that we all love absolutely.  It's heartbreaking to read that you're approaching retirement, because we're all selfish and want more!more!more! from you.  Nevertheless, enjoy it knowing you've thrilled so many thousands of fans!  Thank you, Cam!!

mygrimmbrother

More unabsehd gushing:

Cam, for me, you were the definitive artist on classic Rogue. Those early adventures were my favourite strip as a nipper, and I still leaf through them fondly to this day. A beautiful, dynamic and just plain cool style helped fire my imagination and always will. Nothing more to say really!

Thank you

IAMTHESYSTEM

Cam Kennedy you showed us the future. Thanks and I hope the painting and illustration work gives you as much pleasure as the many Rogue Troopers, Judge Dredds, etc, etc gave us. ;D 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Trout

Kenny Who?  ;)

Stellar stuff for so many years. Lang may yer lum reek!

Peter Wolf

Many thanks for your beautiful work.

Like someone else here said- I am selfish as well and i want more !!

You are not allowed to retire !!

Or you can but you have made a big impression on a lot of readers of 2000ad and thats something to be very proud of.

Thanks !
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Proudhuff

Best wishes Cam, thanks for years of pleasure, your storytelling skills are second to none, Tom
DDT did a job on me

Tweak72

Thank you Cam for many great moments in comics
Thank you for almost all of the Traitor Generals escapes and making Rogue Trooper one of the most gripping reads for a young lad.
Thank you Super surf 7 and Two Ton Tony Tubbs
Thank for the best Star Wars story outside The Empire Strikes Back.
Thank you for all the weirdness. For all the Wonderful. And for all the Cool.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Mr. Kennedy, thank you for the many years of pleasure that your art has given to myself and everyone else. I will remember you most for you unique style that you provided to MC1 and its citizens. With even a glance at your work I would be able to recognise that you were on art duties and not much else could make me happier.
I hope you enjoy your well earned retirement.

Cthulouis

You're a star, Cam. Have a great retirement.

vzzbux

Cam. Your art is one of the most recognisable and original to have graced the prog. You have and will be missed.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.