Main Menu

World hide and seek championship over!

Started by Richmond Clements, 14 December, 2003, 08:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Generally Contrary

'When the heat was on he ran and hid in a hold, the coward' or something close - President Bush.

Well, he would just be following the example of his old FRIEND Dick Cheney, who hid inside a moutain bunker for about a month after September 11th.  Which one had more to fear, and so was most justified in hiding?  Saddam - country conquered, enemy troops crawling all over the place?  Or Cheney - member of the most powerful government on Earth?

Queen Firey-Bou

is the death penalty allowed by international law?

i remember when they filmed...shit what was his name, some dictator of oppressed eastern block country megabastard & his wife. megabastards the two of them, & they showed you them being unceremoniously shot. It was horrible viewing. But what should you do with megabastards? does their existance threaten the world, are they better just quietly dead? on a cognitive level i think its wrong, 2 wrongs don't make a right, no-one has the right to take life etc, anyone standing up for global law & order MUST take the moral high ground.

...but then if any megabastard hurt my family i'd kill the fecker.

Mk13

That'd be Nicolae Ceaucescu and his wife, ex-Romanian despots, who were particularly repugnant characters (many Romanians actually thought they wree vampires, and you can believe that if you look at em)

I vant fresh bluuuuhd...http://dacia.free.fr/roumanie/images/ceaucescu.jpg">

Quirkafleeg

I always liked they way that Count Von Ceaucescu wife, who had some minor science qualifications, insisted that her name was on all scientific papers published in Romania and she was a co-recipitant of any awards etc...

petemaskreplica

I'm pretty sure a trial under international law would exclude the possibility of a death sentence, which is presumably partly why the US is so keen for him to be tried under Iraqi law...

Art

Ah, but did she award herself a huge medal for eating babies?

Art

http://www.mrdowling.com/611amin.jpg">

Trout

There's no prohibition of the death penalty in international law.

The only time it's mentioned is in human rights documents where there is a basic right against "arbitrary execution."

That means you get a trial first.

These days, practically all our international law is post-1947, when the UN Covenant was signed, but the closest thing to an international criminal court we've seen (pre-Milosevic) were the Nuremburg trials in '46.
The death penalty was used at Nuremburg.

It is entirely possible the same model can be adopted for international trials today.

- Trout LLB (Hons International Law)

Steamboy

undermine the UN,

dont usually jump into pollitical threads but just thought I'd point out U cant undermine the UN as they screw em selves up enough...totally pointless and spineless world organization, look how they handled the Balkans did nothing but round up civs for massacre by old evil Slobby...

Fark I hate pollitics, why can't we all just get along?

CU Krestel

Dudley

did nothing but round up civs for massacre by old evil Slobby...

'Fraid I'm gonna have to take issue with you on that one.  The incident you're referring to was the responsibility of the Dutch Army (under the flag of the UN but not following UN orders).  The report into Srebrenica lead to the mass resignation of the entire Dutch cabinet.

The UN didn't step into the warzone and start firing, but there are a lot of reasons for that.  If a soldier acting for the UN kills a single person who is firing at them, then the community will usually understand.  Getting into a proper battle with soldiers and killing lots of them in the name of the UN (remembering that the UN doesn't even have an army of its own) means you'd create huge resentment and the UN would be seen as partisan - the one thing it has NOT to be.

In Cyprus, the UN operation I've managed to see most closely, the UN has done a fantastic job of pissing off both Greeks & Turks by refusing to take sides, but they've also fed and clothed the refugeee populations, created work, and helped along all the fledgling intercommunity organisations.  In Yugoslavia the UN's presence has proved essential in maintaining a peace between 6 groups all of which contain bloodthirsty megabastards (in utero) ravening to kill people from the other groups.  The US/UK-led offensive into Kosovo has proved to be one of the most destablising events that took place in the area.

...Dudley

W. R. Logan

>In Cyprus, the UN operation I've managed to see most closely, the UN has done a fantastic job of pissing off both Greeks & Turks by refusing to take sides

But its only the Turks that are still dug in on 40 minutes notice to move.

The Greeks on the other hand leave the line to the UN and generally dont do a great deal.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Steamboy

this is the reason I stay off these threads, my info's always shit or wrong, though I did get this info off a Doco that was very pro-American and probably a bit biased(which unfortunatly most media is), the image of Blue Helmets standing back passivly while artillery bombed the crap out of a refugee camp got my goat up, it was a very graphic doco and living in Oz we generally dont see women and children with half their heads missing getting moved about on corrugated iron for stretchers, by far the worst thing I've seen in years and really made me think about how lucky I am to live in Australia...

still cant see why we all just cant get along.....

CU Krestel

Queen Firey-Bou

indeed kesrel. why can't we get along? i guess its something to to with entrenched hatred, history, the struggle for survival/ or 'perceived survival' & poverty ( which also comes under the struggle for survival category). I guess when everyone has a warm safe place to sleep & food in belly & freedom to work/create/love/produce sprogs, then people might get over whats gone before & get along, & news headlines would be more, "Government re-arranges filing systems at westminster again & laurence bowellen-bowen changes wallpaper!"

W. R. Logan