Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wild-seven

Urgh, that militant vegan is on 'come dine with me' - her feeble arguments for becoming vegan make me angry  >:( MONGROL SMUSH!!!
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

TordelBack

QuoteI had a very long lecture and practical at uni about molluscs as a result of their importance in archaeological dating techniques* (the visiting lecturer COULD have made it exciting, but no

Was it Vita-Finzi?  If so, same experience here.  Although I don't recall the tie-pin.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 October, 2009, 07:13:00 PM
QuoteI had a very long lecture and practical at uni about molluscs as a result of their importance in archaeological dating techniques* (the visiting lecturer COULD have made it exciting, but no

Was it Vita-Finzi?  If so, same experience here.  Although I don't recall the tie-pin.
Can't recall off the top of my head the name, but he was a Mr Bean-like man.  Very knowledgeable, very NICE, but doomed as a lecturer because I caught STAFF nodding.  Always a bad sign.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

House of Usher

Gastropods are molluscs, aren't they?

(Gastropoda being a class of the phylum Mollusca)

Quote from: wild-seven on 24 October, 2009, 07:04:45 PM
Urgh, that militant vegan is on 'come dine with me' - her feeble arguments for becoming vegan make me angry  >:( MONGROL SMUSH!!!

I wish I had been watching that. Sounds hilarious! Better than doing half-arsed DIY and cooking the dinner while the missus carries on sanding woodwork like some kind of indefatigable Arnie Terminator robot, and occasionally looking sadly at my shoes wondering where she gets her energy from.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 October, 2009, 07:46:31 PM
Gastropods are molluscs, aren't they?

(Gastropoda being a class of the phylum Mollusca)

Gastropods are Molluscs in the broad sense but they are a sub species that dont have shells and i forget what the exact terminology is.Polyphylectic or something similar.Also slugs are not a marine species as they breath air so are land based.

Like all these things the more revolting they are the more healthy and nutritious they are to eat.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 24 October, 2009, 07:57:07 PM
Like all these things the more revolting they are the more healthy and nutritious they are to eat.
Thanks Peter.

Um, I'm now really glad I didn't pay attention in this lecture.  If it were THIS chock-full of delicious serving suggestions I'd have chucked all over the lab.

wild-seven

seriously anyone who uses the lack of fibre in a beefburger as a valid reason for veganism (seriously has anyone ever thought 'I need more fibre in my diet, I'll gorge myself silly on burgers' - ?) deserves a stern talking to (not a slap, I abhor violence even towards vegans). It's a food-fad that can only be entertained in the west by dint of the fact we have so much we can afford to act like a fussy 6 year old about food

Peter Wolf

Another political forum i use has reverted back to its silly little game of arbitarily deleting my comments yet at the same time another comment that was posted that was not related to the topic in question that involved a guide on how to shove a Hamster up your arse and extract it again is allowed to remain.

I spent half an hour typing a long paragraph about Capitalism [Long posts are fine on this forum] only to have my time thought and effort wasted because it was deleted instantly despite the fact it was reiterating the message contained in a film recently released by the websites owner.

Stupid ChickenLittle Moderator.

At the same time its somehow acceptable not to moderate a troll and leave up their 50 plus repetitive attention seeking inane comments.

GGGRRRRRR........
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Trout

The X Factor.

What a bunch of talentless mutants, who are essentially victims as music industry professionals (who will make lots of money whatever happens) tell them they can sing.

Un. Be. Fucking. Lievable.

- Trout

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 24 October, 2009, 07:57:07 PM
Gastropods are Molluscs in the broad sense but they are a sub species that dont have shells

Well, no: they're molluscs in the strict sense that that's how Linnaean taxonomy works. Snails have shells and they are also gastropods.

Quote from: wild-seven on 24 October, 2009, 08:24:14 PM
It's a food-fad that can only be entertained in the west by dint of the fact we have so much we can afford to act like a fussy 6 year old about food

But not really. A western diet that includes meat makes excessive demands on world agriculture for the input of energy and water necessary to grow grain to feed to animals that only consumers in an advanced capitalist country can afford to eat. A diet which is heavy in meat literally takes food out of the mouths of people in developing countries, whose own diet is typically largely vegetarian if not, indeed, vegan, because the bulk of their crop goes to feed animals in the west. They are growing food they can themselves barely afford to eat. However, a third world diet is rarely vegan by choice but rather by dint of a lack of affordable alternatives; as such, one would never turn down an opportunity for novelty, so it makes sense to keep a goat or two, catch fish if you live near a river, lake or ocean, and eat any animals you can catch in the wild (because you don't have to feed them at your own expense).

Veganism in the west is for people with genuine dietary issues like bowel problems on the one hand and middle class wankers who have nothing better to do than turn their three meals a day into a life-defining hobby on the other. Personally I haven't got the time to muck about like that and I enjoy food too much to give up eggs and dairy as well as meat and fish. Meat and fish are a luxury I can do without, but eggs and milk make life easier in so many ways I'm not bothered to do without either.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Snails can be absolutely yummy.  I've had land snails stewed or minced in the French style many times, but I ate a giant heap of them in their natural state this Summer, cooked  in the Cretan 'hohlious' style, i.e. boiled in their shells, with just a bit of onion and rosemary.  They were delicious hot winkled straight out of the shell, chewy but yielding like properly cooked squid, and with a flavour not unlike mildly seasoned white pudding.  

And yet the idea of eating slugs does not appeal one bit.

Paul faplad Finch

Vegetarianism yes, Veganism no.

If it was a matter of survival I'd kill something and eat it but since the human body can survive quite well on a vegetarian diet I don't see the need.

On the other hand, milk in my coffee and a nice fried egg sandwich are luxuries I'll not soon give up.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Mike Gloady

I'll never eat another snail. Five years ago i ate one that hadn't been purged and fell so ill i've yet to recover. And lost thousands thanks to the insurance scum not paying out for no good reason. I'll never go back to the third world, my decadent western belly can't cope.

wild-seven

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 October, 2009, 10:11:36 PM

But not really. A western diet that includes meat makes excessive demands on world agriculture for the input of energy and water necessary to grow grain to feed to animals that only consumers in an advanced capitalist country can afford to eat. A diet which is heavy in meat literally takes food out of the mouths of people in developing countries, whose own diet is typically largely vegetarian if not, indeed, vegan, because the bulk of their crop goes to feed animals in the west. They are growing food they can themselves barely afford to eat. However, a third world diet is rarely vegan by choice but rather by dint of a lack of affordable alternatives; as such, one would never turn down an opportunity for novelty, so it makes sense to keep a goat or two, catch fish if you live near a river, lake or ocean, and eat any animals you can catch in the wild (because you don't have to feed them at your own expense).

Veganism in the west is for people with genuine dietary issues like bowel problems on the one hand and middle class wankers who have nothing better to do than turn their three meals a day into a life-defining hobby on the other. Personally I haven't got the time to muck about like that and I enjoy food too much to give up eggs and dairy as well as meat and fish. Meat and fish are a luxury I can do without, but eggs and milk make life easier in so many ways I'm not bothered to do without either.

I totally take your point and obviously if you have a health problem which can be aided by dietry change then go for it - but if it's simply personal choice then... Beliefs are lovely and a bit like a big cock; lovely to have but NOT to be shoved down someone else's throat (thanks Mike!)

TordelBack

QuoteFive years ago i ate one that hadn't been purged and fell so ill i've yet to recover.

But tasty, no?   :-*

Seriosuly, sorry to hear that Mike, tell me it wasn't that awful rat lungworm meningitis thing?