Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

I actually preferred Burning Chrome to Neuromancer. Haven't read anything else by him though.

Kerrin

I thought "Spook Country" was middling to be honest.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Burning through the Warhammer 'Horus Heresy' books at the moment. I'm onto 'Fulgrim' already.

Their all a little bit similar since they follow the same plotline but from different characters points of view. A little bit samey perhaps but the action scenes are terrific and gory.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Roger Godpleton

Just pre-emptively started my annual holiday attempt at Gravity's Rainbow, and 80 pages in I have to say that it is a great fucking book.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jim_Campbell

Batman and Robin #5 ...

Good stuff. Mozza still firing on all cylinders. Very, very good stuff.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strontium_dog_90

I've just read "Epilogue," by Steve Niles - not read much "30 Days of Night" so wasn't sure what to expect. This is a great read, though, and I'd recommend it to any fans of either vigilante or vampire stories. One thing, though - the trade graphic novel I read only has four episodes in it - anyone know if there are any more out there?

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 30 September, 2009, 08:43:44 PM
Burning through the Warhammer 'Horus Heresy' books at the moment. I'm onto 'Fulgrim' already.

Their all a little bit similar since they follow the same plotline but from different characters points of view. A little bit samey perhaps but the action scenes are terrific and gory.

I thoroughly loved the way that was done. Mr Dan Abnett & Graham McNeill are doing the same further on in the series. Dan's doing 'Prospero Burns' and Graham's doing 'A Thousand Suns' which, again show one event from different sides!

Paul faplad Finch

I've just finished Unseen Academicals. It joins the list of stories about sport that are much more interesting than actual sport. Featuring heavily, as it does, one of my favourite character pairings in Discworld - Ponder Stibbons and Mustrum Ridcully - it was always gonna stand a good chance of impressing me but I must say I was still surprised at how good I found it. Not surprised that Pratchett span a good yarn of course, just that I was expecting the football stuff to drag it down for me. Not even remotely, as it turns out.

I have a question for any Pratchett afficionados. How do you spell afficionado? Is this right cos I'm loking at it and it just looks wrong.

No, my question is this. Is this the first Discworld book to [spoiler]have no appearance by Death?[/spoiler] It's certainly the first time I've gotten to the end of one and thought "hmmm, wheres he got to then?"  See, while I've re-read the early ones umpteen times, and can therefore immediately recall the plots of all of them, the later ones which have only been read once are a lttle more vague. Hell, there are 78 of them. Can't keep them all at the top of my head.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Good news there, faplad.  Always look forward to a new Pratchett.  

I'd be fairly sure [spoiler]DEATH is in all the 'main' Discworld novels, although I don't think HE was in the early Tiffany Aching books (originally positioned as kids books).  [/spoiler]

Paul faplad Finch

You're right of course. Now you say it it's obvious. Don't remember noticing it at the time and yet it was the first thing that popped into my head this time. Funny how the mind works.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

Hellblazer trade paperbacks, in haphazard order, from da library. And Fables trades too, in as close to correct sequence as possible.

I just read Azarello's first Hellblazer storyline - the one with the good ol' boys and the dog pr0n enterprise. Hugely improbable, but an entertaining yarn nevertheless.

Whereas my girlfriend, the real brains of the outfit, is reading a 30-year-old paperback book of essays about Marshall McCluhan I rescued from Oxfam's recycling box when I worked there.
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

I think Azarrello's first storyline was actually the one before that - Hard Time. Art by Richard Corben and excellent all round to boot.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 October, 2009, 11:20:19 PM
Batman and Robin #5 ...

Good stuff. Mozza still firing on all cylinders. Very, very good stuff.

Cheers!

Jim

Just read it and yep very good stuff indeed. Not a big fan of the art at the moment but Morrison is sure turning out some fine superhero comics.

House of Usher

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 11 October, 2009, 08:13:09 AM
I think Azarrello's first storyline was actually the one before that - Hard Time. Art by Richard Corben and excellent all round to boot.

Oh right. I was a bit tired when I read the intro!

Quote from: House of Usher on 11 October, 2009, 12:48:37 AM
A 30-year-old paperback book of essays about Marshall McCluhan

Edit: Marshall McLuhan
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

Just finished The Death of Grass by John Cristopher.

It's a 'cosy catastrophe' yarn that deals with the breakdown of modern society from the titular disaster, via a journey to a safe haven.

I found the tension palpable, and it's direct look at the stark choices people must make in these situations leaves a lot for the reader to consider. Unsurprisingly for a novel first published in the 1950's, horrific events are not blatantly detailed but left to the reader's imagination - which I found refreshing.

And yes, our heroes do stop for tea regularly and the ladies do the washing up!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.