Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

QuoteAnd yes, our heroes do stop for tea regularly and the ladies do the washing up!

Proper order, no need to abandon basic human decency just cause you're killing people to steal their food. 

Great book, Death of Grass.  I was suffering through a few minutes of The Day After Tomorrow the other day and was struck by the contrast between Chistopher/Youd's The World in Winter and the moronic scenes where US refugees are welcomed with open arms as they ford the Rio Grande (apparently having walked all the way from as far north as Washington...).

Mikey

To my shame, that's the first book of his I've read so I'm keen to pick up the rest.

Next up is around a year and a half worth of Interzone and Black Static.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SmallBlueThing

RED HULK! love it. planet hulk, world war hulk and now this. modern hulk rocks. sbt.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 October, 2009, 04:05:17 PM
RED HULK! love it. planet hulk, world war hulk and now this. modern hulk rocks. sbt.

Small Blue Thing - you'd better run and hide as the rest of the internet is going to hunt you down with the burning touches and the pointy pitchforks, trap you in a corner with Jeph Loeb and do terrible, terrible things to you.

(I should point out I've read none of the Hulk of late (well for like 14 years! and so have no opinion of its quality or otherwise so any chasing I do with pitchforks will be purely the result of mob mentality)

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 October, 2009, 04:05:17 PM
modern hulk rocks

Totally agree.  It's been Proper Comics all the way since the start of Planet Hulk.  Hell, even spin-off book Incredible Hercules has been a blast.

Paul faplad Finch

I was pointed toward Planet Hulk as a fairly self contained story that would help ease me into superhero comics without worrying too much about continuity and whatnot. I read it in it's entirety and I have to say that while it was a good story it felt stretched way beyond what was decent. I mean there is padding and then there is Planet Hulk.

Splash pages and others with 2 or 3 panels, most without dialogue, meant that the average issue took about 5 minutes to read. The art was nice and all that but somewtimes you want a meatier read.

Had this been told in half the page count I reckon I'd be calling it a classic but as it stands it's only a qualified success.  In my opinion of course, and qualified by saying that it's the first Hulk comic I've ever read.

I'll definitely be checking out more Hulk though. I think that the Pannini collections are about to delve into World War Hulk so I'll pick them up.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Mike Gloady

I'm not a fan of superheroes, but the closest I get is the occasional Batman collection.  Jeph Loeb's Long Hallowe'e & Dark Victory are both astonishngly good. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

House of Usher

I have no idea what's been going on in the world of the Hulk, but recent issues featuring a red Hulk, lots of female heroes going up against said red Hulk, and a pointless skirmish between the red Hulk and the Defenders got me dipping into it for a while, and I was very roundly entertained. I wish I had the money to follow these developments both forward and back to source!

:D
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 October, 2009, 07:57:42 PM
I'm not a fan of superheroes, but the closest I get is the occasional Batman collection.  Jeph Loeb's Long Hallowe'e & Dark Victory are both astonishngly good. 

Tim Sale's art on Long Halloween was pretty special, too ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Oh yes.  Tim Sale is amazing.  Together with Loeb they're unbelievable.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 October, 2009, 04:16:19 PM

Small Blue Thing - you'd better run and hide as the rest of the internet is going to hunt you down with the burning touches and the pointy pitchforks, trap you in a corner with Jeph Loeb and do terrible, terrible things to you.

I know- if you dip into the comics section over at NerdCentral (Gallifreybase, to those not in the know. Or with taste) it's as if Jeph Loeb has ruined 40-odd years of perfect comics. As I see it, Hulk has always mostly been unreadable- excepting the sublime Herb Trimpe issues reprinted back in the day in the first MWOM. It's only become interesting since Planet Hulk (and maybe, going back a bit, 'Banner' and 'The End'- and I'm not sure about one of those). But the Red Hulk stories are an absolute blast! I laughed out loud at several points during the first volume- notably when he [spoiler]punches The Watcher in the face[/spoiler]. I cheered the Green Hulk, giggled at the dialogue (in a good way) and felt sorry for The A-Bomb. Job done, I thought.

The second volume was a bit problematic, as the art was a bit rubbish in parts- but the [spoiler]new Wendigos [/spoiler] were excellent (didn't they just appear in the Wolverine & The X-Men cartoon? Nice bit of cross-media pollination, if so). And the [spoiler]WendiHulk[/spoiler] was sheer gold! I've always loved the Marvel take on the [spoiler]Wendigo[/spoiler] legend, and this is an interesting new direction.

I'll be picking up more, as soon as they hit my local library- I don't BUY this stuff, Usher- I only want to read it... though I confess to contemplating an eBay trawl for collected Planet Hulk, WWH and Rulk, as I think they're worth the shelf space.

Amusingly (or not, actually) I picked up the 2004 UK Hulk annual for my eldest the other day for a quid. Behind the kid-friendly "3D" cover I was somewhat shocked to discover a 20-odd page Hulk story, in which he basically continually tries to rape She-Hulk! He wants to "mate", you see, and doesn't get that she's his cousin. It's SUPPOSED to be touching tale of how lonely the Hulk is, but Paul Jenkins completely mishandles it, and it's just a series of fights and implied attempts at rape!

Anyway... Red Hulk- yeah! cool.

SBT

Mike Gloady

I'm presuming this is the same Paul Jenkins whose entire run on Hellblazer remains the longest stretch of the title to remain completely absent from the rather extensive TPB collections?

That Hulk story sounds like a laugh actually, although obviously not for the kids.

SmallBlueThing

It really wasn't. Ugly art that didn't flow, horrible colouring and lunking dialogue. Unbelievable crassness putting that in the kids' annual- and them sticking a nice friendly 3D picture on the front! Didn't they even READ it before printing?

But Mike- PICK UP RED HULK Volume One! It's mad, hilarious, packed with action and just fantastic fun!

Edit: Yes, same Paul Jenkins. He also wrote Spidey for a bit- and while not terrible, it told no new stories.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mikey on 12 October, 2009, 04:01:12 PM
To my shame, that's the first book of his I've read so I'm keen to pick up the rest.
The Sheep Look Up was one I enjoyed a lot with a similar eco-disaster premise.
We never really die.

vzzbux

Just started reading Republic Commando Triple Zero. I am quite disappointed that Atin isn't the commando from the Honour Guard story as the scarring on the face of RC Theta 2088 would have tied in with Atin's first appearance in Hard Contact. God how sad am I.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.