Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: faplad on 28 October, 2009, 03:02:35 AM

As a complete newcomer to Vonnegut, is there one book that people would recommend as a decent starting point?

My personal favourite is "Deadeye Dick" but for more 'typical' Vonnegut you can't go wrong with the two 'famous ones' "Breakfast of Champions" and the aforementioned "Slaughterhouse 5"

Roger Godpleton

Almost done with Quicksilver. Up next is Proust. That's right, Proust.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 28 October, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
That reminds me of something.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

Out of curiosity has anyone been reading the collections of old US comic strips? I regularly pick up the Krazy Kats but due to my addiction to an unnamed import and crime comics I haven't really been digging in my pocket for any of the others.

My brother for my birthday got me Terry and the Pirates vol 4 and I'm pretty floored by it. It's like a lost John Ford or Howard Hawks picture. The hardest things to get used to are the repeat panels and the fact Terry and Pat never choose the girls I personally fancy. It is pricey (probably boils down to roughly 22 pounds) but it took me about a week to get through. Anyone else read this?

He also bought me the new collection of Prince Valient. Th artwork in that needs to be seen to be believed.

House of Usher

Jack of Fables: The (nearly) Great Escape. Awesome. Especially the 'breakout' issue. Really exciting, fun stuff.
STRIKE !!!

Paul faplad Finch

I've just read this and finished it thinking that, yes, it was a really good story but also a niggling feeling that I didn't know who half the supporting characters where. Which is rather appropriate given the motives of the villain of the piece. Thats my excuse anyway. I fully intend to have a good old google session in the near future.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 October, 2009, 10:49:50 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 28 October, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
That reminds me of something.

Was it Madeline Stowe?  Madeline Albright?  Something to do with Madelines, anyhow...

SmallBlueThing

CRIKEY! #12, successfully ordered from my local cornershop-of-magical-wonder. Fab! my new best mag.

HdE

I'm halfway through 'The Surrogates' - intended to read it before the Bruce Willis movie came out. Failed miserably. It's kinda cool, in an improbable sci-fi sorta way.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Paul faplad Finch

Well, while I know that there is something of a baklash towards The Wire at the moment, as always seems to be the case when something becomes to popular, I'm stil fascinated by it. So I've been reading The Truth Be Told, which is marketed as essentially an episode guide but is so much more.

The bulk of the book is the guide, written by a staff writer on the show and going into a lot of detail on character arcs and the themes of the show rather than trivia. This in itself would make the book a worthwile read. But then you get the extra stuff.
An introduction by David Simon that runs almost 40 pages and includes a transcript of a letter he sent to HBO early on where he essentially tells them they'd be idiots not to run with the show. You get chapters by George Pelecanos and Bill Zorzi. Interviews with Melvin Hayes (real life drug lord turned actor) and various other cast members, and one of the most exhaustive cast and crew appendixes I've ever seen.

It's a cracker of a book. If you like The Wire of course.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: faplad on 02 November, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
appendixes

I think that should be appendices. Yes? No?

God, the things that matter when you can't sleep.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Hoagy

Yeah. Its Appendice.

Very phallic word. Timecheck 4:42am
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Paul faplad Finch

Cheers Krombasher.  I gave up on sleep at a certain point cos I need to be up with the nephew in the morning. I know full well that if I got to sleep after 4 theres no way I'm getting up again in time to take him to school.

It'll probably be an afternoon nap for me. You know, like a toddler or a particularly old pensioner.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TheEdge

pride and prejudice and zombies

and

The Blade Itself
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Kerrin

The Blade Itself is great!

Bumper Amazon parcel today with Dredd case files 3, The Boys 4 and the first Transmetropolitan. Yee-haa! And The Sirens of Titan is fantastic,  I'd forgotten how much I love Kurt Vonnegut's writing. It's one of those books I wish was longer, I'm getting worryingly close to the end.