Main Menu

Prog 2105

Started by IndigoPrime, 27 October, 2018, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

And indeed ooooooooh.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Goosegash

Ah, well that completely changes the meaning then! Oh well.

Blue Cactus

Finally read this prog today. Not much to add to what's been said, but am I missing something on p.2 of Dredd when he mentions 'the total number of illegal assassinations of citizens'? Are there legal assassinations of citizens?

I'd be happy if Rob Williams had time to write Dredd for most of the year. Frankly I'd rather have that than a Dredd tv series!

Baba Yaga choking up a big egg was a great visual moment. I like that her inclusion has allowed Fiends to have some imaginative magical action which makes a nice change from more conventional fighty action.

Brink is my favourite thing in the prog. The palette changes are masterful and I love having a strip that's about atmosphere and dialogue to break up the prog. Who's have thought a strip of five-page episodes could work as a slow building tension-fest? A top ten thrill of all time for me I think.

I wish Gene would get more time to hang out with Leezee. I loved their friendship when she was a wee girl, waited years and years for them to be reunited, to the point where I thought her character had been forgotten about, and they've still barely had time to draw breath. He's such a good dog. I hope Abnett finds Leezee something to do other than running about being scared, and I REALLY hope she doesn't get killed.

BPP

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 03 November, 2018, 02:37:09 PMAre there legal assassinations of citizens?

I'd be happy if Rob Williams had time to write Dredd for most of the year. Frankly I'd rather have that than a Dredd tv series!

Judges have been executing citizens for years. Sometimes as a sentence sometimes as policy ('this guy is too dangerous to live, go get him Joe'). Without trials judgement becomes the purview of the police and if they think you've committed a crime you can be sentenced immediately or prior to direct contact. Execution, assassination all roll into the same thing - direct judgement. As long as it's sanctioned by the statutes and codes it's legal. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 03 November, 2018, 07:06:46 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 03 November, 2018, 02:37:09 PMAre there legal assassinations of citizens?

Judges have been executing citizens for years

I suppose the Cerulean Succulent is drawing a distinction between capital punishment - Justice Department delivering and then carrying out a legal sentence, either at the kerbside or in a correctional facility - and whacking an unsuspecting citizen over a cuppa or while doing admin.

JOE SOAP

Assassinations are considered to be more extrajudicial in practice and closer to the actions of Death Squads. The Judge do manoeuvre into grey areas but they still have strict laws.

TordelBack

The Security of the City Act appears to sanction executions (and lobotomies, and other measures) of citizens that haven't committed a crime deserving that sentence, but perceived as posing a major risk to the City nonetheless. These would,  I assume,  be legal assassinations. Dredd's actions in The Exterminator also spring to mind.

DrJomster

Everyone else has said it, but I'm not going to let that stop me saying it... Blimey,  that was yet another really awesome prog!

Just want to give a nod to that comment earlier about Skip Tracer. This has REALLY moved up a gear this time round. Lovely to see!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Blue Cactus

Good points on the assassination front people. I wasn't sure if it referred to justice dept-approved assassinations or if it was just a mistake in the script - most likely the former then.

Apestrife

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but Brink's use of blacked out cursing. Anyone else thinking there's something more to it than just blacking out curse words? I don't remember ane of the language in book one or two being blacked out like that, and also not using words alluding to "f*ck" and such.

What if said words are actually something else, and no one is realising it? A bit like no one reactign that surprised when people start puking after hearing phale cronozon.

Really like Brink and Dredd at the moment. Both are brilliant thrillers!

Theblazeuk

Fiends was bloody great. Dredd stands among my favourite recent stories. Tracer is lacking anything to make it stand out sadly. Kingdom continues to be wonderful. Brink remains my favourite, though I felt like the main character is a really bad actor/liar.

Quote from: Frank on 31 October, 2018, 02:22:51 PM
Legion 90: Was a comic I saw advertised in Sandman and Hellblazer. It's where Lobo came from, I think. Never bothered.

Really rather good actually. Brainiac 2 runs a private police force that steps in to fill the void left by the Green Lantern Corps, bringing a more mercenary approach to 'justice' in DC Space. Lobo was in it, as probably the most famous part of the whole 'contemporary' DC space universe during the 90s - he was kind of like Wolverine I think at that point. L.E.G.I.O.N was slightly fascistic, dark and gritty, and not anything like their descendants in the 30th Century (at least not until Keith Giffen took over again for the '5 Year Gap' series, which saw the United Planets riven by war, or until Dabnett of this parish finished off his epic run on the post Zero-Hour series with Lovecraftian space vampires, an elder god, etc...).

Sorry geek out over. Go read Legion, it's Toothy as heck.

metcalfecarr

though I think we have a different artist next time. Given what I figure will be a significent time slip that's all fair really. This has been brilliant and can't wait for Prog 2111.

Accordinf to Ian Edgington at Ice this year Tiernan Trevellion will be drawing the next Fiends

And is it me or is there a real Ron Smith vibe to Tiernan's Kingdom cover this week?
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Professor Bear

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 October, 2018, 04:27:33 PMplease write a thousand words on 'Synergy in the Prog' for next week?

Rather more accurate to do a piece on how many times writers can recycle the same few references before people start calling them out.  Unless you mean Synergy, the sentient AI from the 1980s cartoon series Jem And The Holograms, in which case, I will admit to being curious why Frank wants this in the prog.

I'm playing catch-up here and I'm just not getting along with Dredd or Skip Tracer, which at least have great visuals.
Brink remains the highlight, followed by Kingdom, but after a good start I thought Fiends fizzled out and I was really taken out of the story by that abrupt last page and him just declaring MY NAME IS LEGION like a fucking idiot in front of all those people - there's some lass near him who just looks confused why he would say such a thing out loud.  Join the club, miss.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Come on! That joke was brilliant and deserved some, any, response!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!