Main Menu

Meg 348 - DIE HARD!

Started by Buttonman, 17 May, 2014, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

one more reader and the meg thread will read double figure....  :o
DDT did a job on me

Batman's Superior Cousin

Huh, I was under the impression that both the Dredd story and Anderson were meant to finish in this very Meg.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

8-Ball

Again here is my tuppence worth on Meg 348 -

Nice bold cover and that Ryan Brown is a wizz with the ol' colours.

Judge Dredd - Rad To The Bone (part 2) - I'm sure T.C. Eglington has written some pretty good Dredd stories in his time but this isn't one of them. Since I have the Case Files at hand in order to make a comparison I have to say that this reminds me of the sort of mid-nineties strips that convinced me to give up the prog. Ah well.

Mark Buckingham is a golden god.

Tales From The Black Museum - ...And Death Must Die - This might not be to everyone's taste but I really liked this tale as it features a cameo appearance by my favourite Judge. He appeared in the first prog that I ever bought (Prog 650) and I always get a kick when he pops up.

The Man From The Ministry (Part 1) - Too early to tell. Chuckled at a character describing herself as an "enormous trollop".

Still drooling at Darren Douglas' art for Rogue Trooper in the forthcoming Sci-Fi special.

Even more drool produced at the prospect of another Wagner/Flint team-up.

Anderson, Psi-Division - Dead End (part 6) - Dredd killing the attacking Judge and passing it off as a safety shot rang a bit false. However, the pyrokine burning the head off the Armoury Judge more than made up for it. Nasty.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

staticgirl

Oh wow. Lightenings in space. Oh wow.

That is all.

Frank

I'd like to complain about false advertising on this thread. I started reading the Dredd story (that Fabry cover is unreal, by the way) in cheerful anticipation of experiencing one of the worst Dredd stories ever published, but it turned out just to be an unremarkable and slightly silly story with ambitions above its station.

All the villains in MC1 getting together to try and overthrow a weakened Justice Department is the kind of Route One plotting that I'm sure occurred to every other Dredd scribe when they were tasked with coming up with post-Chaos Day storylines ... before they discarded it as an idea which has been already been used on a number of occasions over the years anyway.

The obvious parallels with the much more successful Titan - a returning minor villain physically devastates Dredd as part of a plan to carve out a slice of MC1 real estate for themselves and other criminals - certainly aren't any fault of Eglinton's, but repetition of Dark Knight Returns my lungs feel like they're on fire and there's a 100lb mosquito buzzing in my head narration is the kind of unfortunate coincidence you would imagine the Megazine and 2000ad sharing an editor would help avoid.

Anderson is still firing on all cylinders, and Jake Lynch's stylish art on Black Museum has me eagerly anticipating his Orlok story in the Summer special. Elsewhere, I'm not sure how many more ostensibly new strips set in familiar fictional universes and/or cheekily appropriating other writers' characters I want to read. Alan Moore and Kev O'Neill should get royalties every time some other creators nick their idea of nicking other people's ideas.

Proudhuff

Quote from: sauchie on 25 May, 2014, 02:19:33 PM

I'm not sure how many more ostensibly new strips set in familiar fictional universes and/or cheekily appropriating other writers' characters I want to read. Alan Moore and Kev O'Neill should get royalties every time some other creators nick their idea of nicking other people's ideas.

As long as they do the same?
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 May, 2014, 01:33:47 PM
I'm not sure how many more ostensibly new strips set in familiar fictional universes and/or cheekily appropriating other writers' characters I want to read. Alan Moore and Kev O'Neill should get royalties every time some other creators nick their idea of nicking other people's ideas.

As long as they do the same?

The cheque might arrive too late to pay for H Rider Haggard's mobility scooter, or cheer up Virginia Woolf.

Spaceghost

I'd like to complain about false advertising on this thread. I started reading the Dredd story (that Fabry cover is unreal, by the way) in cheerful anticipation of experiencing one of the worst Dredd stories ever published, but it turned out just to be an unremarkable and slightly silly story with ambitions above its station.

What about the citizens constant, unexplained day-long rioting because DREDD'S NOT HERE!!! Or something...

And Hershey, crying at her desk (I know she's not really crying) because DREDD'S NOT HERE!!! WAAAAHHHH!

Dredd's not supposed to be some kind of special saviour or a 'symbol of justice'. He's just a Judge. This felt a bit like like a Batman story with a few Judge helmets glued over the top of the artwork.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

johnfreeman

Really enjoyed Men from the Ministry and Matt Badham's interview with Mark Buckingham was a great read. Thanks for re-running Judge Karyn, strange to read that after such a long time. As far as I'm aware, I wasn't on any medication when I wrote it.

Frank

Quote from: Spaceghost on 27 May, 2014, 09:31:39 AM

What about the citizens constant, unexplained day-long rioting because DREDD'S NOT HERE!!! Or something...

Just because there's already been an entire story specifically all about Dredd going AWOL for a couple of days (Wagner and Lee Sullivan's Missing, 1078-1083) which didn't feature any riots and during which nobody except Justice Department even knew Dredd wasn't around anymore? You're being completely unreasonable, Spaceghost.

Magnetica

Quote from: judgerufian on 22 May, 2014, 05:51:35 PMthe constant niggle I have is that this massive threat to the whole PSI Division is essentially a no-one that had come out of nowhere, there is no build up to how much of a baddie this guy is which is a bit of a pity but the story does hold water everywhere else and the art is excellent.

I know what you mean as I had the same sort of reaction, but then I remembered that Algol Rey had featured in a previous Cadet Anderson story. A quick check of the back Progs showed this to have been the story "Algol" in Progs 1780 to 1785. The Story "One in Ten" (Progs 1833 to 1839) is also billed as being continued in Dead End in the Judge Dredd Megazine.