Main Menu

Second Coming

Started by thinky, 11 February, 2003, 10:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

It had to be Maine Road 'cause the other lot are the Red Devils.

Great first episode. Plenty of humour ("This place has heard plenty of prayers"; "He swore and they took him off!" etc) and a genuinely creepy atmos in spots, especially the little 'cackle' that announced a minion of Satan. And it's always heart warming to watch British TV fantasies about society collapsing.

Second episode was kitchen sink blecch which focussed on the seemingly flu-ridden 'heroine' who irritated the life out of me with her smug self-righteous whinging. Bah!

GordonR

>>Second episode was kitchen sink blecch which focussed on the seemingly flu-ridden 'heroine' who irritated the life out of me with her smug self-righteous whinging. Bah!

Thank god I wasn't the only one who thought that.

And she was a bit of a boiler too. ;->  I mean, if you were the Son of God, you'd think you could do better than that...

Mk13

>I mean, if you were the Son of God, you'd think you could do better than that...

Yeah, there's all those nuns for a start...

Sorry, bad thought, bad thought...

karne

"Don't entirely see how it would then cause devils or god not to exist".

That was what her Testament was all about, the death of God, Satan, demons etc so that human kind was left alone to make their own decisions and mistakes without being able to lay the blame on some otherworldly source, thus forcing the human race to evolve and develop.

paulvonscott

Yes, I know that Karne, I just don't see how god's son eating rat poison could kill god and all the devils.

I appreciate the third testiment is an epilogue to religion.  But I thought the conclusion that now we had free will but no god was a bit pants, we were already supposed to have free will.  Then again, changing the way every mind on the planet operates is not a sign of free will as far as I can see.

Imagine no religion huh?  Well, as they said that people still did bad things (possibly on the scale of Hitlker and Stalin) what does it matter?  Surely that's just god saying 'I'm not getting the blame for this lot, I'm getting out'

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I felt it all went sixth form at the end, I genuinely cringed and I agree, watching the moaning woman was awful.  I imagine the planet then entered an eternity of nagging.

I wish however someone in the pub after the explosion had said in their best John Watne voice 'truly he is the son of god'.

Despite all my gripes, I'm still chuffed this was on the telly.  ITV seem to have done all the SF I've seen on tv in the nineties onwards.  Uninvited, last train and second coming.  Not a lot but better than the phobic bbc, who once made the best sf in the world.

Smiley

Well, there was that Invasion Earth (title?) thing with Fred Ward and the UFO crashing during the blitz. That was the beeb.

Something I'd love to have seen in Second Coming was during the bit where one guy puts his hand up at the back, the camera should have zoomed in to show it was a sheepish Terry Jones. Very "Life Of Brian" that was.

Adrian Bamforth

Only saw bits but looked like bollocks to me. Hey, much like the first coming in fact!

ADE

karne

"I just don't see how god's son eating rat poison could kill god and all the devils."

It's basically to do with the fact that Judith's Testament was in a way like the Ten Commandments, it was metaphorically written in stone, and like Jesse Custer's "voice of God", had to be obeyed.

In a move akin to Jesus giving his life in order to show proof of God and the afterlife, Steven had to die to show that there was no more resurrection, and therefore no more God.

Any Babylon 5 fans will be able to draw parallels with the Shadows/Elder races leaving this plane of existence and letting the less developed species get on with their own lives.

"But I thought the conclusion that now we had free will but no god was a bit pants, we were already supposed to have free will."

I think the point it was trying to make is that we do have free will, but when things go wrong we will always blame it on God or say the Devil made me do it. All Judith wanted was for the human race to take responsibility for its own actions in the hope it would eventually evolve into something Godlike itself.

paulvonscott

Sorry karne, it still looks like pants to me.

Devons Daddy

i take it you are working every sunday then karne?
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

karne

He, he. I carry out the Lord's work every day D.D. by cleansing the streets of prostitutes, whilst wearing an unfeasibly large top hat.

P.S. You're right Paul, it was still utter pants.

Devons Daddy

the best way to clear the streets of such fallen women is do so by removing them two or three at a time.for short intervals.

this was posted by someone who stole Devons daddy icon. really it was.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Trout

Returning to this thread against my own better judgement and after much deliberation, I would like to say:

Rennie, kiss my green and white stripey arse.
:-)

- Trout, who used to work in Govan and didn't like it much