Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clavell

Quote from: weehawk on 25 January, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 24 January, 2012, 03:22:45 PM
'Reshoots' doesnt actually mean they have ditched a whole setup, no matter how good your storyboard and DOP etc etc there is always a chance of something missed, and not an indication of anything negative going on.

To me it shows they are polishing rather than just working with what they have got .....

Anyone reflecting on the rather lukewarm comments about the behind the scenes 'news' ought to watch 'The Making Of RoboCop' as an example of on set problems etc often meaning sod all to the success of the finished film.

Over budget, over deadline, and the first action film by a 'new' director, the set was frequented by the financers worried over their investment, and a horrid place to work, esp in the 110 odd degrees heat of the set.

The suit was taken one direction only to be redesigned at the last minute, a result of which meant the SFX artist (Rob Bottin) behind it wouldnt even speak to the Director. The suit itself only arrived on set the day of the first day of filming- and took a further 11 hours to finish fit over Peter Weller. He'd trained his robot movements with a choreographer for months only to find that with the suit on all the training wouldnt work.
The suit was considered pivotal point of the film, dont forget.

Oh- and dont forget the reshoots and delays The Predator went through when the original design of suit failed to perform on site..

Read Luc Besson's The Fifth Element book and you would think he hated every moment on set ( he prob did)

Most of the crew hated Ridley Scott while shooting Blade Runner

None of them turned out as bad movies....

...and don't forget James Cameron with The Terminator.

And on "Aliens" as well.
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

vzzbux

Quote from: wonkychop on 25 January, 2012, 06:56:34 AM
You can never trust film reviews. I've read lots that have panned a film only to find out later when I got round to viewing it that it was really good, and vice versa. It seems a lot of these so called reviews are politically motivated by those in the film industry. My guess is the critics are going to give DREDD about 2 ## out of ##### , but that the film itself for a general audience would be much in the way you've described The Darkest hour, and that 2000ad fans will love it.
The thing is with reviewers is that if a film that they have been sent to watch is not their cup of tea then they will mark it down. I have never been influenced a film on a review alone. Someones goose is anothers gander.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goaty

Quote from: clavell on 25 January, 2012, 07:17:14 PM
Quote from: weehawk on 25 January, 2012, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 24 January, 2012, 03:22:45 PM

Most of the crew hated Ridley Scott while shooting Blade Runner

None of them turned out as bad movies....

...and don't forget James Cameron with The Terminator.

And on "Aliens" as well.

And he was shooting at people on Titanic!

Goaty

Quote from: Goaty on 25 January, 2012, 08:50:01 PM
And he was shooting at people on Titanic!

Oop sorry that was French and Saunders Spoof on (Making of) Titanic! Lol  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pakvWy8I59A

Gonk

Dear vzzbxxx

I know that, you know that, but do the...

Thing is, if a film gets a load of bad reviews it gets a bad reputation as being a turkey, (Dredd1) which is bad for the morale of the true fans.
coming at a cinema near you soon

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 25 January, 2012, 08:52:30 PM
Thing is, if a film gets a load of bad reviews it gets a bad reputation as being a turkey, (Dredd1) which is bad for the morale of the true fans.

...but that film deservedly got bad reviews and was rightly buried.

Gonk

Quote from: Stewart Kenneth Moore on 25 January, 2012, 03:52:08 PM

Very true. I've had the same experience. The film will be fine no matter what as a kind of a pantomime homage to the comic. Although Hollywood would love us all to think film is the higher medium, it's not, the comic cannot be surpassed in this case. Like great books, the medium and story are one.

Asterix the Gaul is another example of this. A wonderful strip that just got turned into a very bad film. There is a new version of Tin Tin coming, will that live up to the books' standards? O.K. it's a hard job to cram a few years worth of storytelling into a 2 hour long film, but they always seem to fall far short of expectations. The Great Gatsby was another disaster. I'd like to see Dredd as an half hour series for T.V., this worked with The Xmen I thought. Why not Dredd?
coming at a cinema near you soon

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 25 January, 2012, 09:01:07 PM
There is a new version of Tin Tin coming, will that live up to the books' standards?

Coming? It's been and gone since last year.

radiator

QuoteI'd like to see Dredd as an half hour series for T.V., this worked with The Xmen I thought. Why not Dredd?

1. Because Dredd is unknown in the US - the biggest market for that sort of thing.

2. Because Dredd, by it's nature, is violent and controversial and would never, ever be greenlit for a kid's cartoon for these reasons. Strip out the violence and the satire and you're left with Lawman of the Future, and we all know how that turned out.

3. Dredd is totally obscure compared to a tried and tested property like X Men.

Dredd made as a proper grown up drama by one of the big US networks - something like The Pit, like Hill Street Blues set in the future - would be mind-blowingly good. It's never gonna happen though.

TordelBack

Quote from: wonkychop on 25 January, 2012, 09:01:07 PMI'd like to see Dredd as an half hour series for T.V., this worked with The Xmen I thought. Why not Dredd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IzSGvXc_PM

Really?

CYCLOPZ

I wouldn't rule out Dredd working as on T.V at all as long as it is treated with some respect. I would much prefer to see an anime version along the lines of Gungrave or Ghost in the Shell with intelligent writing and a proper story arc, aimed at an adult audience. Otherwise if you're talking about the Saturday morning cartoon stuff I say don't even bother.

Above all I want to see it done properly on film first.

PreacherCain

I think Dredd is probably as well known as stuff like Green Lantern or Iron Man, to be honest. People are familiar with the idea, if not the details. Even if they're familiar with the character primarily from the Stallone film, they're still aware of the concept and open to seeing a 'grim and gritty' take on it.

Do people even need to be familiar with the concept anyway? Positive word of mouth works better than anything else, in my opinion. Worked for District 9.

Also I do think there is a distinction between a film reviewer and film critic. The former is more heavily based on subjective opinion/prejudice (I don't like westerns etc.) while the latter is more concerned about taking a film at face value and finding out if it succeeds or fails in its intended goals, whether they be genre-based or what-have-you.

The only kind of film that is entirely subjective is comedy.  :P

Bat King

Green Lantern and Ironman are probably a heck of a lot more well known in USA than Dredd.

Quote from: radiator on 25 January, 2012, 09:09:45 PM

QuoteI'd like to see Dredd as an half hour series for T.V., this worked with The Xmen I thought. Why not Dredd?

1. Because Dredd is unknown in the US - the biggest market for that sort of thing.

2. Because Dredd, by it's nature, is violent and controversial and would never, ever be greenlit for a kid's cartoon for these reasons. Strip out the violence and the satire and you're left with Lawman of the Future, and we all know how that turned out.

3. Dredd is totally obscure compared to a tried and tested property like X Men.

Dredd made as a proper grown up drama by one of the big US networks - something like The Pit, like Hill Street Blues set in the future - would be mind-blowingly good. It's never gonna happen though.

What Radiator said, enumeration & final summary.  It 'could' be down brilliantly as a TV series but sadly that isn't likely either side of the pond.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Jared Katooie

Can we please call this film by its correct title?

It's not 'Dredd', it's DR3DD.

Bat King

Says who? Still billed as Dredd on IMDB.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex