Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracula1

Mr. Urban Int. is that Lena in the hot tub?

Gonk

Quote from: radiator on 11 February, 2012, 07:19:18 PM
From what I've seen/heard, it looks like the humour will be blacker and less whimsical than the comics - more Verhoeven than Wagner. There definitely is humour in the script, despite what many people say - but it's very dry and perhaps doesn't read that funny on the page - there's one or two scenes that should get a big laugh in the cinema provided they're handled well. I should stress again that I've only read the first 12 or so pages of the script so I'm speculating.

Dredd's dialogue - what I read of it - is spot on Wagner though; gruff, terse, cynical - note perfect. He sure as shit ain't gonna be getting all teared up in the locker room about his poor old bro - "I judged him"....

So a lack of humour is quite a deviation from comic strip Dredd; so is a lack of fantastical elements like vampires, zombies aliens and downright weird MC-1 freaks. I've just read a strip were an ourangatan is elected for Mayor of Mega City One. For those of us who have been lucky enough to see some stills from the film, it looks as though the film is focussing on the more murderous aspects of Dredd and his Mega City. Might this put some fans off?
coming at a cinema near you soon

James Stacey

putting some fans off V's potentially creating a new large fanbase ? The fans you put off will still watch it.

Steve Green

The strip itself has toned down those elements, I guess since around the time of the Pit - they're still in the background, but the strip has evolved as well.

I think there's room for some of the aspects like Resyk, Vi-zines, Euthanasiums etc. but since it looks like the movie version is a city on the edge of collapse, there's not much call for the outlandish, they would just be out of place in their version.

Gonk

yes I know but do you think this may put some people off?

Steve Green

No I don't think so.

I think fans of the strip would prefer some satirical elements, but I doubt it has much influence on the rest of the audience.

Gonk

I've always tended to associate Dredd with satire, even the most violent parts. It seems the film is going to be different, darker. I am looking forward to see if they manage to pull it off on screen.

radiator

Alex Garland was quoted in the Empire article as saying they have conciously played down the satirical/humourous elements for the movie, as the 'hyper-violent future cop' angle was what most appealed to him reading Judge Dredd comics as a kid, and he wanted to make first and foremost a hi-octane action film.

Seems somewhat of a mistake to me - Wagner and Grant's absurd sense of humour is - even now - what gives the strip a strong sense of identity - but we'll see how it turns out.

Tharg has stated that there is an effort being made to 'do that stuff in the background' - put little gags and weird stuff in for the fans - and you can see evidence of this already - some of the set spy-shots showed Chopper's infamous graffiti tag, and the 'No Creds = No Meds' sign in the leaked clip.

A couple of years ago, John Wagner invited fans via his facebook page to suggest little background details or humourous incidental skits that could be used for this purpose, which he could then pitch to the producers for inclusion in the film.

Michaelvk

Quote from: dracula1 on 14 February, 2012, 09:19:22 AM

Nah, those are the stunt(doubles) girls.. Didn't see Lena at the party. Olivia was there though..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

The Sherman Kid

Never really thought of Dredd as a 'hyper-violent future cop', I mean , he may wipe out half a billion folk one afternoon, when he has a mind to , but they had been very very naughty.Dredd is a very very nice man  :D

Seriously though, the satire in Dredd and the humour has always stood out far more for me.I can understand them concentrating on the violence and dark side as a starting point though, that will appeal to many.
Having watched the Lethal Weapon series this week, with lots of violence mixed with humour -would they be a good balance/template for any future Dredd movie?

dracula1

Quote from: Michaelvk on 14 February, 2012, 02:27:42 PM
Quote from: dracula1 on 14 February, 2012, 09:19:22 AM

Nah, those are the stunt(doubles) girls.. Didn't see Lena at the party. Olivia was there though..

Thanks Michael.

Karl looks like he's having fun. Did you get in the hot tub too? :-)

Spaceghost

The thing with Dredd is that the strip CAN be full of wacky humour and satire but there are numerous great stories where these elements are played down or totally absent. One of my favourite Dredd stories of the last 10 years is Mandroid and there aren't many laughs to be found in that. In fact, it's unrelentingly grim and depressing.

I suppose, ideally, the film should try to present a definitive version of Dredd but that's been tried already and it was a mess. From what I've seen so far, the black humour is there, just not at the forefront.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Goaty

Quote from: Lee Bates on 14 February, 2012, 03:17:32 PM
The thing with Dredd is that the strip CAN be full of wacky humour and satire but there are numerous great stories where these elements are played down or totally absent. One of my favourite Dredd stories of the last 10 years is Mandroid and there aren't many laughs to be found in that. In fact, it's unrelentingly grim and depressing.

I suppose, ideally, the film should try to present a definitive version of Dredd but that's been tried already and it was a mess. From what I've seen so far, the black humour is there, just not at the forefront.

And one of best stories, America.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 11:11:34 AMa lack of humour is quite a deviation from comic strip Dredd; so is a lack of fantastical elements like vampires, zombies aliens and downright weird MC-1 freaks.

Humour, yes; not so vampires, zombies, and aliens. They add flavour, sure, but they haven't ever been essential. The Cam Kennedy-drawn 'Back on the Streets' from Prog 435 is likely the best depiction of Mega-City One in microcosm.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

radiator

QuoteThe thing with Dredd is that the strip CAN be full of wacky humour and satire but there are numerous great stories where these elements are played down or totally absent. One of my favourite Dredd stories of the last 10 years is Mandroid and there aren't many laughs to be found in that. In fact, it's unrelentingly grim and depressing.

I'd say the vast majority of Dredd stories do have a strong element of the absurd or eccentric about them. It's absolutely key to the appeal and longevity of the series. The undercurrent of humour and weirdness is always there - even in more serious stories like America and Day of Chaos.

The city is such a key element of the comic strip - I hesitate to say it's the real main character of Dredd as some tend to do - and to have it reimagined as a desolate slum, verging on collapse seems a missed opportunity to me. Parts of MC1 no doubt are depressing shitholes, but there's so much more to it than that - it has this larger than life playground quality to it and has been so explored and expanded over the years it really feels like a tangible, fully-realised location.

Take that charm and sense of wonder away, and I'm not sure what is there to distinguish out from all the other dystopian future cities.

Still, I have great faith in Garland as a writer - I'd be pumped for this film even if I wasn't a massive Dredd nerd.