Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 February, 2012, 08:29:24 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 12:46:53 PM
I've always tended to associate Dredd with satire, even the most violent parts. It seems the film is going to be different, darker.

Satire ain't only about being funny or the ridiculous, it can can contain exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy etc. The whole set-up in Dredd could easily be seen as a satire on certain cryptofascist/authoritarian tendencies that dwell within the American/British establishment, or anywhere else if you like.

I know. Gullivers Travels is a great example of satire. Some, but not all, of comic Dredd, puts the word laughter into slaughter. To do this on the big screen takes guts. The film is going to be altogether more sombre in atmosphere; a couple of guys on here have referenced the Mandroid and America stories as being serious unironic Dredd, are there other stories which have divested themselves of the more frivolous aspects of a Dredd narrative?

coming at a cinema near you soon

Misanthrope

The Chief Judge's man?

Not many laughs in that as I recall.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

bigjobs67

Whats the one where Dredd ends up defending that block full of Muties?
It's relentless all the way.
he just marches through it wastin every motherfucker who's attackin it.
Runnin out of rounds until he has to use daft stuff like 'incendries'.
Then after it's over he gets on his bike with a smoldering half toppled block behind him and control patch through that some knob head has stuff himself into a garbage grinder.
And he just fucks off to deal with it.
Absolute class.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Mardroid

Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 09:50:57 PM
a couple of guys on here have referenced the Mandroid and America stories as being serious unironic Dredd, are there other stories which have divested themselves of the more frivolous aspects of a Dredd narrative?

It might have laced comedy but I don't think America lacked irony!

Gonk

Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2012, 03:49:59 PM
Going back to an earlier discussion about how best to implement Judge Death in the grittier, more realistic version of Dredd 2012...

How about fusing the character with that of Cal?

An insane - possibly mutant with latent powers comaparable with Anderson's - head of the SJS, stages an internal coup within Justice Department and begins a policy of executing mass swathes of the population, gaining the nickname Death, while Dredd and Anderson lead a counter-insurgency...

As the baddies would be a twisted version of the SJS, these 'Dark Judges' would all have Judge Death-like skull insignia on their judge uniforms.

That would make a fantastic plot for a sequel. Most definitely; costume and scenery could be a little more elaborate to evoke the sense of doom and madness. It would contrast well with this first film whose emphasis seems to be on urban warfare.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Misanthrope

I was thinking about a sequel the other day, and I must admit I would love for it to be set in the cursed earth.

Whereas Anderson is Dredd's opposite in this film, I was thinking Koburn could be his opposite in the sequel.

Base the plot on Pat Mills' cursed earth story and bits of Origins, and this would make up for the lack of 'real' mutants in the reboot.

JOE SOAP

Judging by the background vehicles, I guess this is from the last scene in the film, affirmatively ending with the ^above^ 80's freeze-frame as Sweet Freedom by Michael mcDonald swells in the background.

Misanthrope

Image is not showing, Joe.

JOE SOAP

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 14 February, 2012, 10:00:11 PM
Whats the one where Dredd ends up defending that block full of Muties?
It's relentless all the way.
he just marches through it wastin every motherfucker who's attackin it.
Runnin out of rounds until he has to use daft stuff like 'incendries'.
Then after it's over he gets on his bike with a smoldering half toppled block behind him and control patch through that some knob head has stuff himself into a garbage grinder.
And he just fucks off to deal with it.
Absolute class.

Mutopia or was that the hostage one. Hmm.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

JOE SOAP

"Mutie Block" John Wagner.

"Mutopia" Al Ewing.

Thanks for that JOE :) I got the Mutie bit right !  :lol:

W. R. Logan

Quote from: wonkychop on 14 February, 2012, 11:01:54 PM
Quote from: radiator on 14 February, 2012, 03:49:59 PM
Going back to an earlier discussion about how best to implement Judge Death in the grittier, more realistic version of Dredd 2012...

How about fusing the character with that of Cal?

An insane - possibly mutant with latent powers comaparable with Anderson's - head of the SJS, stages an internal coup within Justice Department and begins a policy of executing mass swathes of the population, gaining the nickname Death, while Dredd and Anderson lead a counter-insurgency...

As the baddies would be a twisted version of the SJS, these 'Dark Judges' would all have Judge Death-like skull insignia on their judge uniforms.

That would make a fantastic plot for a sequel. Most definitely; costume and scenery could be a little more elaborate to evoke the sense of doom and madness. It would contrast well with this first film whose emphasis seems to be on urban warfare.

Sounds completely wank.