Main Menu

The Commissions Thread

Started by hippynumber1, 13 July, 2013, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Most artists would agree they work best to a deadline. i.e. even if they break the deadline, they've still started the work.

I would set a deadline even if its a bit of a fake.

Y'know "It my 40th birthday next month (wow we must have been first stalking about this when I was 37!), if you can't do the piece by then could you refund me so I can get a commission from a different artist"

So polite, say how long its taken but make the point and set a deadline.

Old Tankie

Three and a half years!!!  And you have paid up front! He has either forgotten or you have been conned, either way you should get in touch and sort it out.

Spikes

Good luck with resolving this, Rich. I hope you can get your art, or a refund, and sooner rather than later.

Yes, best option would be to ask outright what the actual score is. Be polite, but straight to the point. And get him to state a timeframe. You shouldn't be made to feel like you have to walk around on eggshells on this. I think you have been patient enough.

You do sometimes hear of tales of artists not delivering on pre-paid work, and that's the risk of paying up front. If an artist I approached asked for this, I'd most likely have to ponder whether Id be happy to do that.

Fungus

3.5 years is shameful, let's be honest.

ming

If it was me, depending on the original agreement, I'd have been dropping occasional gentle reminders after a few months, just to keep it on the artist's radar.  As time passed, frequency (and risk of being annoying) would have increased slightly until it got to the 'if you're unable to commit to doing this in the next couple of months we can call the whole thing off and can I have my money back please' stage.  I'd never have let things get to three years - that's just nuts.

I've only had a few commissions done (McCarthy, Yeowell, McMahon) besides some of the sketchbook pieces and nobody has ever asked for money upfront (although I've offered it and been refused).  There's a lot of trust involved in this game so I'm a bit saddened to hear you've hit a bump in the road, Link.  Fingers crossed for you!

Link Prime

Cheers for the advice fellas.

To be honest, with so many artists on the board I didn't know how ye'd respond.
"Give the guy a f*cking break, Link" was a pre-imagined shoot-down!  :lol:

Of course, the consensus is correct- the only sane course of action is to send a polite but direct email, which I have just done.

Just to reiterate that I have genuine respect for the artist, and don't think it amounted to anything more than the commission falling through the cracks. The months (and years) can drift by quite quickly, as I well know.

I'll keep you posted on the response.

Spikes

Quote from: Spikes on 15 March, 2016, 09:55:48 PM
You do sometimes hear of tales of artists not delivering on pre-paid work, and that's the risk of paying up front. If an artist I approached asked for this, I'd most likely have to ponder whether Id be happy to do that.

For clarity, I maybe should have added that that part of my post was referring to commissioning American artists, were it appears to be the norm to be asked to pay the full amount - including postage, up front.
And the first time you see your finished piece is when It plops through your letterbox. Often, it would seem, after quite some time has passed.

Tharg's mighty artdroids - past and present, are another breed entirely - and I'd gladly pay upfront for these guys, though none have ever asked.

Geoff

Speaking of Tharg's mighty artdroids, I have a new commission for my 'Dredd meets...' series landing soon.

Geoff

strontium71

Thought I'd share this here - I actually commissioned this so long ago ( 3 years to arrive! ) , that in the time it took to do , I actually stopped collecting - so it kind of lost it's sheen for me , but it is still worth sharing. 68" long btw...

And close-ups:

...because I hate you.

Colin YNWA

Wow that's pretty incredible - whose it by. It might have lost its sheen OR it might inspire you to get back into this crazy world we call comic!

SuperSurfer

That's brilliant, strontium71. Not surprised it took three years.

Fungus

Spikes

Quote from: Geoff on 25 March, 2016, 12:11:36 PM
As promised, here's the link:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1304683

Enjoy!

Another cracker for your collection Geoff! Mr Yeowell does superb commissions.