Main Menu

Advice needed on becoming a freelance writer...

Started by betelgeuse, 22 October, 2010, 03:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

betelgeuse

...so my problem is; I'm talented, but in my life I want to pursue various avenues of creative endeavors;
1) I want to be an auteur i.e. scriptwriter and director.
2) I'd love to be a freelance journalist and reviewer.
3) I want to get novels published.
4) I'd love to script comic books like 2000AD.

Although I come up with the necessary ideas I have no idea how I get from A to B/here-to-there career-wise in regards to the things I've listed above.

I've just finished university where I got a 2:1, and at the moment I only have plans to work, work on some scripts, and then do an MA next year in Film.

Does anyone have any advice?
it would be greatly appreciated.

Emperor

Just go for it!!

OK not too helpful so...

1) Then get a few short films going and post them online

2) Then find your niche (music, video games, tropical fish?), research the Hell out of it and put out some feelers. You might have to do some work for free so people know what you can do and you'll make good contacts too.

3) Then get writing, although it might help if you write some short stories first and get them out there (there are numerous genre publishers out there who will get your work under readers' noses you just might not make any money from it initially).

4) Then start honing your skills writing for the short press. If you have bigger ideas/plans then you could think about self-publishing.

Basically build up some momentum, hone your skills and keep at it. Hopefully, you'll find the different areas support the others - ideas might come up in the journalism that you can write a comic about that could become the basis of a film.

Good luck.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Richmond Clements

Banners

Quote from: Richmond Clements
Write. Submit. Repeat.

Agreed. Don't spend any more time faffing - just get on with it. Also realise that a lot of freelance writing is not about you being an auteur, but about writing what a client asks for - on time, in full and properly presented. Professional writing is perhaps more about being a good 'supplier', rather than an 'artist'.

M@

locustsofdeath!

And do your research. If you have a particular market you're looking to get into - read about: carefully read the writer's guidelines, read sample scripts of works published by that comic, read issues of that fiction mag, see what fits and what doesn't. Fastest way to the rubbish bin is by not following guidelines and submitting a Space Opera to a Hard Science mag or a six-page Future Shock to Tharg when he only wants five-pagers from beginning writers. Good luck.

Richmond Clements

QuoteAlso realise that a lot of freelance writing is not about you being an auteur, but about writing what a client asks for

Very true!

I've got a few on the go at the moment that were 'Can you write a story about X' for us?
'Yes. Yes I can.'

It's only at that point you start to actually worry about your ability to write the thing...

betelgeuse

many many many thanks for your help guys!
I guess I've got abit lost recently and frustrated having done a degree, unable to get a job with lofty ambitions and wondering what do next about it e.g. MA in directing etc...

just a word on submitting or posting scripts and such online...
I guess I've been wary of doing that until now, because; whats to stop someone steeling your material? + when sending scripts off to people and studios etc...should you copyright them or something first?

locustsofdeath!

As far as posting a script online, I generally  wouldn't, though there are places you can do so in good faith (scriptdroids is a good place to have your potential Future Shock critiqued).

But when submitting to reputable comics/production companies/fiction magazines/agents, you needn't worry too much about copyright - if these organizations ripped writers off, no one would write for them! And you shouldn't have to worry about any small press outlets either - if word got out that they were stealing scripts or stories, no one would write for them either and that pretty much dooms their chances of success (plus, the small press is operated mostly by folks who love what they're doing - comics or fiction - and aren't out to "make a buck" so much as get cool work out to the masses).

Emperor

As locusts says I wouldn't worry too much about that - I think the key is to not discuss the idea too much online, people are always going to come up with similar ideas and if you've posted your idea around online you are always going to end up wondering, which will do your head in.

With something like a film script you are circulating on spec then people do advise you post yourself a copy of the script in a big strong envelope and then leave it in a draw. If the worst happens then you can at least show you had the script in a certain form at a certain date.

Actually it may prove more useful to cover your ass if someone else thinks you stole their idea. There are lots of cases of "things that make you go hmmmmmm" like Firekind/Avatar, A love Like Blood/Underworld, The Walking Dead/28 Days Later, etc. which are unprovable but do make you wonder (the last one is tricky as development seems to have been in parallel and the opening sequence is actually from Day of the Triffids, although I don't think Kirkman has ever acknowledged it, as the 28dl chaps have) but it can get into the courts, like Sophia Stewart suing because she thought both The Terminator and The Matrix ripped her off (ironically Harlan Ellison successfully sued the Terminator folks and Grant Morrison has claimed they had copies of The Invisibles on set when shooting the Matrix) and there was also a lawsuit over League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that pissed Alan Moore right off. Of course, if you have a success (or LXG) people will be all over it to get a chunk of the cash, so watch your back.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+