Main Menu

General feelings on IDW's Dredd

Started by Alfaro, 15 March, 2014, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Just read Underbelly and really enjoyed it
It's a joke. I was joking.

Mark Taylor

I also have only been buying the TPB collections. Mars Attacks was good, Year One was great. As for the main Dredd series - The fact that it isn't exactly Dredd or Dredd's world as we know it doesn't really bother me. It's a different take, I don't have a problem with that. What does bother me a bit is the fact that the writing is so damn inconsistent. At times a storyline can be running along nicely, then all of a sudden you come across some really clunky writing that just trips over itself, or a story element that's just downright juvenile and thus sticks out like a sore thumb in what seems to be otherwise a mostly serious storyline. (In any case I don't think it's necessary to be juvenile to appeal to a younger audience). The overall effect is somewhat surreal. Dredd has always been able to accommodate a variety of different tones and styles, but generally speaking Wagner and other Prog/Megazine writers at least stick to a consistent tone within each storyline. This jumps around all over the place and suffers for it.

Having said that I still mostly enjoy reading it. Mostly. It's nowhere near the quality we're accustomed to in the Prog, though.