Main Menu

Bah, techie help needed.

Started by Pete Wells, 13 June, 2010, 06:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Sorry fellas, I know this is a pain but you lot are my virtual pals!

Suddenly, certain sites won't come up on any computer in the house. The offending ones are my beloved freeappalert.com and komics live. I know both are working and it definately seems to be something to do with my router - I can get on these sites on my phone in 3G mode but not when I join the wifi. 

I'm dead worried about it, what if it spreads to more sites like my beautiful 2000AD forum or, even worse, my spaff?

Any ideas my loves?

Emperor

Well as you asked so nicely...

First thing, what browser/OS combo are you using?

Anyway I went to look for these sites:

http://freeappalert.com
http://komics-live.com

According to Google these are the correct links but they are dead as a doornail to me in Firefox/Windows, so I think the answer is they are both down at the moment (the second one was last cached by Google on June 4th so they might have been down a while, the there was pretty recent so it could be back any day). The question is why can you see them on your iPhone? It may be you are viewing a cached version and a hard refresh will purge it giving you... nothing (although it is always possible they are configured only to work on mobile devices).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

I, Cosh

Both those links work perfectly for me.

What's your ISP and what av/firewall combo do you have? Without looking at them in detail (and not casting aspersions) both those sites sound legally questionable so is it possible it's being blocked deliberately at some point?
We never really die.

Pete Wells

Cheers guys. Freeappalert is totally legit so I don't think it's a deliberate thing.  My av is Kaspersky and I think I just use the router's in built firewall.

When I was googling my problem it was babbling on about sites or my router getting confused looking at the same site on various devices and wobbling on about changing my MAC address. That sounds scary and I wouldn't know where to start!

Emperor

ISP: Virgin (previously Blueyonder)

AV/FW: AVG/ZoneAlarm
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Pete Wells

Hmmmm, my ISP is Virgin, I wonder if it's anything to do with them? The new webmail service is terrible, loads of emails aren't making it to My computer since they changed over...

I, Cosh

I'm on AOL (or whatever they're called now.)

XP. Firefox. Avast. ZoneAlarm.
We never really die.