Main Menu

The 2000 AD Messageboard Advent Calendar COMMENTS Thread 2019!

Started by Pete Wells, 30 November, 2019, 10:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Wow that break down of X-Mas in the Prog is just fantastic Funt Solo, just brilliant. 'Talk Containers' made me snort and thank you for bringing up the never talked about New Zealand issue. Its time it was outed!

Supersurfer why don't we see much of ypu wonderous art anymore.

Well done one and all the Calendar remains a glorious thing.

abelardsnazz

Brilliant stuff, Splundig vur Ho Ho Ho indeed.

Was the Kevin O'Neill cover related to anything or just general brilliant O'Neill weirdness?

ming

Almost done with the crossword; 10 across took me far longer than it should have - great stuff!

JayzusB.Christ

That was lovely stuff, Funt! It's my first day off in a while and it's chucking it down outside, so that was just what I needed for a lie-in.  The New Zealand stuff had me chuckling too.   (By the way, don't forget to change one letter in your crossword and resubmit it, and for everyone doing it, 9 down doesn't start with F!)

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 December, 2019, 07:19:52 AM
Brilliant stuff, Splundig vur Ho Ho Ho indeed.

Was the Kevin O'Neill cover related to anything or just general brilliant O'Neill weirdness?

I think it was the latter.  It was utterly brilliant though; Kev at the height of his powers.

Bolt, looking forward to seeing where this is going; I love a good Advent Calendar serial.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

Lovely work Funt. I love a little history with a side if statistics. I can't wait for the final payout of the serial Bolt.

Funt Solo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 December, 2019, 07:19:52 AM

It's prog 398 and not linked to any story inside, unless it's mentioned in the Nerve Centre? I've always just enjoyed it as barmy O'Neill genius.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

It's just brilliant, O'Neill in full flow. Not to detract from the great efforts of all on here who are way more talented than me. And there's more to come!

Mardroid

Well done everyone so far. Wish I had your talent!

I haven't forgotten about my entry everyone! I'll upload it when I get home. It actually relates to my entry on the 2017 thread. (I thought it was last year's.. doesn't time fly scary fast.)

I had an idea for a Strontium Dog strip back then and left it too late and ended up drawing a picture instead. (I checked it out again earlier, and doesn't my Wulf look gaunt! For Wulf anyway.) I intended to do the strip this year, and again left it too late. I did a prose piece instead,* but I think this may work out better.I'm not much of an artist.

I'm not much of a writer, either to be fair, but this was quite fun.

* Or rather the first part. I'll upload that this evening. Second part  should be uploaded on the freeforall day, Christmas Eve.

JayzusB.Christ

Really enjoyed your 'Wulf's-eye view' story; the talking heads work for me! And the idea of [spoiler]mutating tachyons blasting backwards through time[/spoiler] is genius (Wagner and Grant missed a trick there), as is your brave effort to knit the Dredd / Stront timelines together - never an easy task.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Really enjoying the Rogue strip too - the spirit of the Christmas armistice is alive and well. Things are all going to go horribly wrong, aren't they...?

Conrad - now I really want to watch the first Dredd film again.  But ONLY with your commentary.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

Every year I'm amazed at the offerings of this board and every year I want add something but there's no way I can come up to this level. Amazing work all!

Mardroid

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 December, 2019, 01:17:34 PM
Really enjoyed your 'Wulf's-eye view' story; the talking heads work for me! And the idea of [spoiler]mutating tachyons blasting backwards through time[/spoiler] is genius (Wagner and Grant missed a trick there), as is your brave effort to knit the Dredd / Stront timelines together - never an easy task.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Thank JB. That means a lot. I enjoyed it when I wrote it the day before, but on reading it through and editing yesterday, I felt it dragged. Part of that might have been because I was reading a story I'd told myself then read back again, but I think it could use some paring down.

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't think it dragged! And I don't normally read the fan stories  (probably should though, I'm most likely missing a few gems).  Although you did confuse a Happy-Stick for a daystick at one point  ;)

Mardroid

Thanks, and ...sneck! I'm not surprised one slipped through as I had to check myself a couple of times.

Eamonn Clarke

Not being here much as labouring away at the NHS coal face pre-christmas but just want to say all the entries are fantastic and inspiring. Can't wait to tee up the space spinner commentary club episode.

Dandontdare

damn, I have to buy a copy of the DVD now 'cos  I REALLY want to hear that. I had to check, and I'm surprised I don't own a copy - although I do own the double-casette audiobook of the novelisation of the movie - worst Christmas present ever!