Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2012, 11:54:04 PM
If he's rich, isn't picky and is poorly endowed, it's a date. 

He's a politician?

staticgirl

Hurray for a happy Mrs Tordelback!

It's unusual for a blatant bullying case to be resolved successfully within the same organisation and I am very pleased it had such a great outcome. It's amazing how things can turn around.  I hope you guys start to get your lives turned around now.

TordelBack

Quote from: staticgirl on 07 September, 2012, 04:22:32 PM
It's unusual for a blatant bullying case to be resolved successfully within the same organisation...

You're not wrong.  The only way that this one got resolved, despite many previous attempts, was because the existing management cabal ran the organisation into the ground (and there's an area I'm an expert in myself), to the point that a 175 year old operation was within weeks of going under, and then in fairly rapid order most of them 'left to pursue other opportunities' when they realised that their sins were about to be found out.  A new CEO (formerly a hardass troubleshooter for a very major retailer) was installed, was supposed to take a non-executive backseat for a month to 'observe', and managed to keep silent for about a week before exploding, whereupon the remainder of the wankers ran away.  Most amusing to watch, I can tell you.

It's a bit tragic that the only solution to endemic bullying appears to be a complete change of management personnel, but there you go.  I'm not complaining.

JayzusB.Christ

Nice one, TB; glad to hear it.

Me, I'm just back from Beijing, where I spent two-and-a-half broke, miserable and sanity-bendingly anxious months trying to find a stable job.  Finally packed it in and came home.  Now I'm broke but surrounded by mates, countryside and general cheeriness.  AND I GOT TO SEE THE DREDD FILM.  AND IT WAS ACE.

Massive overcrowding, bleak grey concrete everywhere, huge and featureless city-blocks, a brutal police presence, an oppressive and undemocratic ruling regime ... ahh, I can't be arsed making the inevitable joke.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SuperSurfer

Crossing road yesterday, couple of mins from where I live.

Unknown Squaxx wearing Judge Fear T-shirt crossing road towards me.

Me, pointing at unknown Squaxx's T-shirt: "Nice T-shirt!"

Unknown Squaxx notices Dredd grey badge T-shirt I was wearing and smiles.

JayzusB.Christ

Sweet! That reminds me, I was on my way home one Saturday night in Dublin about 2 years ago, when I met some chap in full Dredd gear.  It wasn't even Halloween.  I got my photo taken with him but lost it since. Who was it?  Has to have been one of you guys, surely?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tombo

The Boro branch of Forbidden Planet is having a bit of a clear out with lots of books reduced AND Buy One, Get One Free (cheapest item free).  Last week I picked up the first four Usagi Yojimbo books for about £14 and today I got the first four Blake & Mortimer books for just £7.98.

von Boom

Because after a fortnight of waiting I'm finally going to get to see Dredd.

SmallBlueThing

Because tonight i bought the one remaining issue of Swamp Thing's second volume (171 issues, containing the Alan Moore run) that i needed. Six months or so on from finding that nearly-full longbox of Swampies in my attic, i'm down to needing 26 issues to complete all of volumes 1 to 5 plus sundries.
And i also picked up a replacement copy of Slaine: Books of Invasions 2, hopefully this time with the pages in the right order.

And now Journey Into Space is on the radio, and all is right with the world.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

Bizarre thing today, as the boys and i excitedly approached the comics section of waterstones- only to find the deputy head of their school perusing the racks. Turns out he's a comics reader, and we had a bit of a chat about walking dead and marvel and wotnot. He's never read any prog stuff, and currently our shop has little of any interest, but i did recommend Insurrection to him, and he seemed impressed with the art. Left him pondering a purchase.

The boys meanwhile were completely blown away that he likes comics. Heh!

SBT

von Boom

We were all that way as sprogs. We KNEW we were the only ones to like something and were always surprised when an adult we knew, or thought we knew, might like exactly the same things. It's funny to watch children's reactions to the revelation that someone else got there first.

CrazyFoxMachine

One of my teachers was a huge squaxx and when he found out I was reading 2000ad he asked me to draw a giant Judge Dredd and Johnny Alpha for one of the school noticeboards.... :D He also wrote fantasy books and played guitar in a prog band. He was the coolest man alive. Also he set up a load of Linux-run computers in our school which is also apparently quite a rad thing to do.

TordelBack

On reading Nemesis Book 1 with a 6-year-old:

"Close the book, close it, that page is scaring me.  No, no, open it again, I want to see..."

:)

staticgirl

That is the appeal of that strip in a nutshell!

Mardroid

... I've been asked to work an extra day from now on.

I have mixed feelings to tell the truth. At the moment I'm working 3 days a week in a college (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays), and while the work isn't all bad (sometimes I quite like it in fact) I do sometimes find it stressful, so that mid week break was always welcome.

On the other hand, an extra four days wages per month is nothing to be sneezed at and Wednesdays are usually pretty easy days. I just like how quick the week seems to go by with the Wednesday break, but never mind. I've still go Monday off so I'm keeping the long week end.

Oh, and minimum wage goes up 11 pence this month, which is nice.

Nar, having spent long periods of time unemployed I'm thankful to have work, don't get me wrong. It's just over a year in this job now, which is record over my previous jobs, bar the 18 month job I had as a Software Engineer way back in 2000/2001. (It doesn't seem that long ago in some ways, which is a touch scary.)